help please .can you down grade weight

dshague

Can any one help .my friends got a camper . Home conversion ,its plate says 3800kg . he is 24 yrs old

.he as just been told that he canot drive it as is licence does not cover him over 3500kg .

is there any way he can down grade the weight to under 3500kg .I read some time ago in mmm something about getting a new plate but can not find copy of mmm. Can any one help please

dshague - 2007-05-06 4:09 PM

Can any one help .my friends got a camper . Home conversion ,its plate says 3800kg . he is 24 yrs old

.he as just been told that he canot drive it as is licence does not cover him over 3500kg .

is there any way he can down grade the weight to under 3500kg .I read some time ago in mmm something about getting a new plate but can not find copy of mmm. Can any one help please

Contact Sv Tech http://www.svtech.co.uk/ they should be able to help.Don

dshague - 2007-05-06 8:26 PM

Thank you that’s the name I was looking for, hope they can help him .

As any one used this company ?

Tagplates http://www.vintags.com/index.php?f=data_home&a=0 will make up a plate for you but it will not be supported with a certificate like Sv Tech supply.I had my van uprated by Sv Tech and have the certificate but I'm not sure about the position on down plating.I hope this helps.don

I am sure it will be possible to down plate the 'van but many 'vans are plated at 3800 or above because they would be illegal at 3500! i.e they already weigh at or close to that figure so with the addition of driver, passenger, fuel, water and all the goodies we consider necessary to support our camping lives they would be overloaded.

It would be a good idea to check the unladedn weight of the 'van before proceeding and make sure that you will still have sufficient payload for your needs.

Hello

There is a uesful piece here in this PDF document - if you have plenty of payload spare (visit a weighbridge!) it seems there is little difficulty.  I am contemplating the same to avoid probs when I reach 70 in three years time - my van was plated up to 3700kg by the maker (without reference to me) and I discover I have ample payload at 3500kg.  Hope this helps   David

Just to be clear, it's not just about getting a new plate; the vehicle also has to be re-registered through the DVLA.

I know a number of people who have successfully up-plated and down-plated (including myself), and many have used SVTech.

If you send me a PM with your private email address, I will happily send you a copy of a step-by-step guide I wrote for MMM readers. But do get your friend to check the vehicle weight first - I would be really surprised if he has enough load capacity to enable him to do it. The only solutions may be either to sell the vehicle or take the training and test for a C1 licence (not cheap, but cheaper than taking a loss on a new motorhome!).

But how do people have so little knowledge of the driving licence rules as to buy a vehicle they cannot legally drive?

Mel E

====

Archived