awnings pros asnd cons

KD

hi all just got back from a lovely weekend in somerset, it was only our second trip in mh. we are a family of 5, 4 year old twins and 8 month baby. we think we have the ideal van layout 6 birth with rear lounge and garage so cant get much bigger. but still we found it a bit cramped and are pondering an awning. all comments would be welcome. are they boiling hot if the suns out. easiest to erect and dismantle or other alternatives please

dean

Hi Dean

We don't need the extra space for additional family members but more to keep the weather away from the doorway in winter or to sit out in when it is colder or windy.

We bought a caravan porch awning - the type that uses a couple of bendy poles to form a pointed dome - that usually slides into the awning rail of a caravan but we sinply slide it into the slot in the front of the roll out awning. It is, therefore, not freestanding but good for when we are in one place for a few days. It is light, easy to erect (about ten minutes) and does not get hot in the sun as there are plenty of air circulation gaps.

The other thing we use most of the time is the roll out awning - without any sides or front in summer but if it gets windy we put a windbreak around it to keep us out of it but with the space between the top of the windbreak and the roof of the awning open to see out.

We have previously had a drive away awning but found it difficult and time consuming to put up (traditional steel poles covered with canvas type material) and bulky to store in the van. Before choosing the porch awning we considered getting a safari room (sides and front to attach to the roll out) but some feedback we got was that they also take some time to erect, can flap about in the night and also mean you have to leave the van on site when it is used.

The size of awning will be determined by the size of your van - although some awnings can have 'add on' bedroom extensions - but the type (free standing or fixed) will depend on how you wish to use the van when on site.

Good luck with the search.

Regards, David

Before our current MH we had for 2 years a caravan - with an awning. It was the subject of much friction between me and the boss as she is a tad shorter than I and feeding the awning through the awning rail.... You get the picture!

Well, with the MH we have a Fiama wind out canopy. (I am sure Omnistore is equally good) it takes me seconds to wind out. If we want more protection we have a Harrison Safari Room. It gets used frequently and I can single handedly put up one or two sides and or the front without any help from anybody. When its done the coffee is made and the wife is still civil. And its a lot quicker than the caravan waning ever was.

We use a couple of small motor bikes for running about when camped so it suits us just fine.

Does that help?

C.

Over several years of Motorcaravanning, we've had a variety of awnings, and part of the answer may be based on how you wish to use the motorhome......ie, whether you want to be out and about in it most days, or be fixed to one spot for say a week!

Our comments on the various types may be summarised thus:

Stand alone Awning - probably in many ways the most useful if you wish to be able to take the 'van out reguarly, although depending on the actual size of your ;van, may be a little small. Reasonably easy to put up and take down.

Roll-out (Fiamma/Omnistor type: simplest and quicket to put out, obviously, but gives less protection from the eloments, and not very sturdy for windy conditions. Very good as a 'shade', and can be used with side/front sun/rain blockers, but obviously not fully enclosed

Awning Room (Fiamma/Omnistor) If you are staying in one place for a while, much the best, as they can give full enclosure, and are much more sturdy in windy conditions, especilly the Fiamma Zip. Downside is the time to erect or dismantle, and we found with ours, you really need perhaps up to an hour for fully pegging out etc. We felt the 'Zip' version much better than the one where the sides just clip to the roof, and also the extra poles make the roof itself more stable. Whilst they could get warm inside, the Fiamma one we had, had good mesh ventilation, and this also helped the throughflow in windy conditions, and stopped the whole thing billowing too much.

Hope this is of some help.

As already said, it does depend on your plans when staying on site. With a roll out awning fitted with sides, you cannot take the van anywhere without taking everything down. We went for the drive away awning, a N.R. motor awning, but also have a roll out awning as well, only touble with them is they are very unstable in windy weather, and when used in this country the sun is never directly above you, so it can be difficult to achieve a good area of shade for very long. In your situation I would go for the drive away awning, and all the childrens clobber can be left secure when you go out for the day. chas

Just to give the other side of the picture, for years we have had motorhomes with awnings which have been largely unused! Our last vehicle was ours for 7 years and we used the awning just twice. The previous one came with both awning and Harrison Safari Room and we used it just once - finding it not airtight when windy and not terrible water-tight when wet!

It never surprises us to see that Harrison Awnings are amongst the most popular 'For Sale' items in the MMM section Classified Accessories - along with folding bikes.

I suggest you try someone else's motorhome awning room in adverse weather before taking the plungs. But, as ever, each person has different needs from a motorhome!

Mel E

====

Another alternative is to buy a freestanding garden room type enclosure; basically a posh gazebo.  Kayham (apologies, haven't checked spelling!) do a couple.  One is reasonably priced, the other much more expensive but made of superior materials.  Both are rated durable, and the company has a good reputation for their quality.  They are reasonably light and compact, quite large, extremely quick and easy to erect and one, at least, can have a variety of mesh, clear plastic, or canvas sides inserted as extra shelter/privacy.  These do not connect to the van in any way, and are not intended as van annexes.  However, if you want to go out in your van you can, and the awning guards your pitch until you get back!  May be worth exploring?

Guest JudgeMental

we have a khyam , have not used with new van but it was useful with last one.

motordomeexcelsior.jpg.2a1777b67b03685168786e6aecfeb829.jpg

Clive

Which Harrisons awning was it (?) We are currently choosing a room for a fiamma awning and yours sounds ideal

Anything to keep the wife civil. :-D Wonder if it would help with the Mother in Law :D :D

Chris

JudgeMental - 2007-05-07 3:13 PM

we have a khyam , have not used with new van but it was useful with last one.

hi thanks this looks great does it take much erecting and where would i find one

Guest JudgeMental

if you go to there site I think you can download a demo.

it is all inter connected a bit like a big spider, once you get the hang of it its easy enough. and far quicker then a conventional frame awning.

I got it from a caravan shop in south London - best if you goggle it.

thinking of selling ours as we now have more room then we no what to do with and doubt if we will use it with new camper...

you can roll the tunnel up out of the way if you wish.

Hi

We have an 'Easy Camp' a little square tent. We call it the shed. It is ideal for storing the bikes, BBQ, table and chairs in. It is very light and totally waterproof. Takes only minutes to put up (after the first time it is advisable to mark the poles so that you can match them up quickly) and is about 6ft x 4'6". It opens up at front and back and has poles for a porch, plus a window in the back that has a cover that you roll up or down as you wish. Cost £57

I can endorse what has been said above about the Khyam. Ours is the 'Screen House', the stand alone one (avoid the cheap version).

Another thing we like about it is the ability to sit in the sun whilst out of the wind, simply by unzipping any one of its four sides.

• 3 months later...

I like the look of the Khyam though i've only seen it on the web. It seems to fit the bill for what I want. I'd like to see it 'in person' before buying.

Can anyone recomend a place that stocks these in the South of UK (Hampshire, Berkshire, Dorset, Sussex).

Alternatively best place to purchase off web?

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-07 1:44 PM

Another alternative is to buy a freestanding garden room type enclosure; basically a posh gazebo.  Kayham (apologies, haven't checked spelling!) do a couple.  One is reasonably priced, the other much more expensive but made of superior materials.  Both are rated durable, and the company has a good reputation for their quality.  They are reasonably light and compact, quite large, extremely quick and easy to erect and one, at least, can have a variety of mesh, clear plastic, or canvas sides inserted as extra shelter/privacy.  These do not connect to the van in any way, and are not intended as van annexes.  However, if you want to go out in your van you can, and the awning guards your pitch until you get back!  May be worth exploring?

We use a cheap gazebo when staying any length of time in sunny weather -

we pitch it slightly away from the van, so wherever the sun moves its shadow

falls somewhere useful.

Didn't take it with us this year, - we weren't staying long in any one place

so we made do with a parasol which has the same flexibility, just smaller!

As ever, it's horses for courses.

Tony

Archived