HPI Check

kelly58

I have posted this request also on the caravan forum.

My son has been offered what seems a cheap caravan from a private seller in France but we want a HPI check done quickly has anyone got any info for me to help with this .

Thanks in antisipation Kelvyn

Kelly ,

Bottom line the original reason of HPI dont know how it runs at the moment .It was originally to prevent people from selling cars that had outstanding finance. Hence they were still owned by a finance company and the new purchasher would have no rights the car or caravan would go back to the finance company. Finance companies and car dealers ect subscribe to the HPI system to ensure they do not purchase or sell on cars that have an outstanding finance on them.

Today insurance companies hold a massive data base of stolen vehicles Caravans Boats Cars ect and wether directly or indirectly they share the stolen vehicle indexes. In Britain by use of the DVLA computer what is refered to as HPI check covers both the outstanding finance wether its stolen or subject to a civil dispute . If he's using finance the French will have the equivilent system which your son would have to subscribe to .

If a private sale he could take the Chassis number and all other relevant details if through a dealer raise the question have they checked its validity.

If it's cheap dont buy it ,if it seems to good to be true then it is.

Good luck .

...Word of warning...I have a friend who HPI 'd thru the AA a car and was told ok....A week later the police conviscated this car as a ringer...And theres no comeback either...Lost 15k....Not saying HpI isnt any good ...but its not fullproof either...Andy

Archived