The Beauty of Van Conversions

Mel E

After many years with A-Class motorhomes - the last almost 7 metres long - we downsized almost 2 years ago to a van conversion on a Renault Master. As well as being much more maneouvrable in small towns - white van man delivers everywhere - I've discovered another advantage, having just had it weighed.

With full fresh AND waste water tanks, both cassettes full (we have a spare), full fuel and gas, four adults on board (it sleeps four comfortably), and all the usual tables, chairs, tool kit, etc., we still have spare capacity for 21 half cases of wine (that's 126 bottles) without overloading either axle or the van as a whole.

Now that's what I call a useful motorhome!

Mel E

====

So that's about 160Kg under your MAM.  I assume the van is 3,500Kg max?  What interests me is the relative lightness, and strength, of the steel van bodies. 

I noticed recently that the "A" class Dethleffs Globebus 1 and 2 vans, which are identical in layout to the coachbuilt low profile Globebus 1 and 2 vans (the A class drop down bed being an opition on all save Globebus 3), are actually quite a bit heavier.  This, it seems, is largely due to the "fibreglass" front ends being heavier than the steel bodywork they replace.  This surprised me, but the figures seem to speak for themselves.  So, you pay more, get less front end impact protection, can't fit airbags, and lose payload as well! 

On the same basis, however, and prompted by Mel's post, I'm beginning to wonder if the stiffened platform cab or chassis cab, plus coachbuilt bodywork, is actually lighter, or heavier, that the steel van body it replaces?  Does anyone know? 

It certainly isn't stronger in impact, it damages much more easily, and is less secure against break in.  Hmmm.  Seems van convrsions may have even more advantages than I'd thought!

Rayjsj - 2007-05-08 7:29 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-05-08 6:37 PM <  So, you pay more, get less front end impact protection, can't fit airbags, and lose payload as well!  Errr Why can't you (they) fit Airbags ?? (?)

Don't know, but at a guess, it may be beacuse the airbag "trigger" depends on the nature of the impact, which is presumably much more calculable with the original bodywork.  With the airbag being part of the "chassis", and the special bodywork being grp or similar by A. N. Other, and also being generally softer and less consistent than steel, I'd guess the impact load necessary to trigger the airbags becomes too variable to calculate.  I'd also guess there may be some concerns about legal liability in the event of spurious operation!

Whatever the true reason, the option is listen as "not available" on the A class versions.

Mel E - 2007-05-07 12:12 PM

After many years with A-Class motorhomes - the last almost 7 metres long - we downsized almost 2 years ago to a van conversion on a Renault Master. As well as being much more maneouvrable in small towns - white van man delivers everywhere - I've discovered another advantage, having just had it weighed.

With full fresh AND waste water tanks, both cassettes full (we have a spare), full fuel and gas, four adults on board (it sleeps four comfortably), and all the usual tables, chairs, tool kit, etc., we still have spare capacity for 21 half cases of wine (that's 126 bottles) without overloading either axle or the van as a whole.

Now that's what I call a useful motorhome!

Mel E

====

Mel,

Why do you carry a spare cassette (?) and where do you keep it when it's full 8-) 8-) 8-)

Don

Brian,

The unladen weight gives a load capacity of 750Kgs. The standard empty weight (full fuel, water and driver) gives 530Kgs of capacity - but that includes the capacious 100 litres of fuel.

Don,

After years with a holding tank loo that we only needed to empty every 2 or 3 weeks, this was our first experience of cassette loos. So I bought a spare cassette (very cheap at a show) and have a sealed compartment into which it slots at the back.

Mel E

====

Archived