The Big UK Tour

Barryd999

In years gone by before Covid really, most of our long trips were in mainland Europe. Last few years we have stayed in the UK but this year we decided to do three legs of what became a "Grand UK Tour".  Just thought I would share our experiences.  We started at the beginning of June and finally returned after leg three on Monday this week.  We had a week in-between at home but essentially just short of five months touring the UK.

Leg one was two months down in the south west via the Cotswolds and West Dorset but mainly Devon and Cornwall.  Leg two was eight weeks on the Isle of Arran and then finally just under a month in the Lake District.

People said we were mad to do Devon and Cornwall as it would be way too busy in the summer but of course we had our secret weapon.  The scooter!  new this year to replace the 2012 Honda Vision and we travelled 4500 miles on it throughout the trip.  Parts of Devon and Cornwall were busy of course and we left at the beginning of the school holidays when it was really starting to cram up but even then we found lovely quiet spacious CLs.  What we did was actively seek out the ones that had no hookup and were out in the sticks. Many we had to ourselves and the costs ranged from just £5 per night to £10 a night.

Isle of Arran it was wild camping all the way apart from a few nights on the lovely CL there and the Lake District in October we were back to CL sites but again out in the sticks but this time with EHU. Whilst the sites were heaving the CLs we chose were empty.

All in all, fantastic. The weather over the summer at least was fabulous and even in October we got reasonable days in the lakes as well as the odd Cumbrian monsoon of course.

Next year one way or another though I think we will be doing Europe, possibly with a French visa.

A few random pics from the trip.

IMG_20220615_122946 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20220621_153109 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20220709_112042 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20220714_163909 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20220824_132638 (Medium).jpg

IMG20220621154749 (Medium).jpg

IMG20220626162305 (Medium).jpg

IMG20220630115914 (Medium).jpg

IMG20220710111939 (Large) (Medium).jpg

IMG20220714162648 (Medium) (Medium).jpg

IMG20220714193453_01 (Medium).jpg

IMG20220809110240 (Medium) (Medium).jpg

IMG20220809110305 (Medium).jpg

IMG20221013150843 (Medium).jpg

IMG20221013152012 (Medium) (Medium).jpg

island (Medium).jpg

pig (Medium).jpg

surpise view (Medium).jpg

Some lovely photos on what looks like a really super tour . It looks to me that like you me and my hubby enjoy spending lots of time in areas like those that champion our rich cultural diversity . Have you tried Flamborough on the east coast Barryd999 because that's very much the same . Wonderful photos they are 

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

Some lovely photos on what looks like a really super tour . It looks to me that like you me and my hubby enjoy spending lots of time in areas like those that champion our rich cultural diversity . Have you tried Flamborough on the east coast Barryd999 because that's very much the same . Wonderful photos they are 

Yes I have. Its near Bridlington I believe. I tend to stay out of Bridlington as it often full of Ruffians from Huddersfield. 

3 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Yes I have. Its near Bridlington I believe. I tend to stay out of Bridlington as it often full of Ruffians from Huddersfield. 

It can be a bit rough in Bridlington and of course there are one or two families of colour from Leeds and Bradford that holiday there that may put the likes of you off from visiting but from experience I can say that me and the hubby have never had any issues at all . Beautiful photos though Barryd999, your kayak ones are especially good but next time youre off try paddling away from the shoreline a bit and you'll discover so much more . Have a nice evening Barryd999

10 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Leg one was two months down in the south west via the Cotswolds and West Dorset but mainly Devon and Cornwall. a few random pics from the trip.

IMG_20220621_153109 (Medium).jpg

Glad you had a good trip looks like you found some nice stops Thanks for all pictures is this one Port Mellon between Meva an Gorranhaven

10 hours ago, witzend said:

Glad you had a good trip looks like you found some nice stops Thanks for all pictures is this one Port Mellon between Meva an Gorranhaven

I honestly cannot remember. It could be as I had to google it and its just along from Mevagissy which we did go to.  There wasn't much we missed out to be honest.  It would have been at least ten years since we did Cornwall and Devon although I spent a week in Totnes with a friend a few years back.   I think Devon was my favourite in the South west especially the week in Salcombe and the three weeks spent at Lee Bay at the end between Ilfracombe and Woolacombe.

Archived