first trip

johnny john

hello,

I will be taking my first holiday in a motorhome, i have hired one for a week to see what its like. I know this is a short holiday but i am planning to go to somerset or Devon, i am from the northeast of england. Can you just turn up at a site for the night or do you have to pre book and stay a few nights, i have looked at planning a route, but can you just turn up. Will i need to plan my journey and where do you start

Any tips :-D

Thanks

Hi Billy- You do not say if you will be travelling in school holidays or not, it does make a difference if you are, as many sites may well be fully booked at that period. The great reason many like to motorcaravan is the freedom to go when THEY like, but to be practical I would go for a site which has many pitches so you stand a good chance of getting on. Choose one with good reccomendations which are available from campsite books. You will learn much from the experience and then be able to come to conclusions of what you like and dont like. Good Luck chas

Hi Billy

I suspect you will need to book a site for the weekends at least in popular areas.

A lot of sites in the directories state "booking essential" whilst some add "at peak periods".

Without booking you could find yourself in a frantic search late at night, not the best way to start your holiday :D :D

Flicka

hi john im new to motorhoming myself only 2 trips so hardly an expert to giving out advice. i have found that reading up on sites, planning a trip and useing this forum and other websites, finding places of interest and walks around different areas all adding to the enjoyment of this hobby. we were in somerst last week and i dare say that up until friday you could have just turned up and got a pitch. but come friday 80 vans arrived and filled up the site. if your only going for a week i wouldnt spend all week travelling from site to site 2 or 3 at the most giving yourself time to unwind and relax and get used to the sites and areas and the motorhome.

dean

Hi John

That's how we started many years ago and it soon bit us, and we ended up with getting into this m/home business.

Now on our fifth van!!

Best advice I can give is just to follow the sun, armed with some camp site books, which will give you a general idea of the area.

We initially aimed to tour around the "Fosse Way" - Cotswold area for the two weeks we hired the van.

Ended up in south Wales & also deepest Somerset before heading back to base in West Yorks.!!

If touring over a busy period it's best to book in advance. Stay a couple of days heer and there and then move on, that's the advantage of m/homeing.

You'll also find that the site wardens will always ask if your staying more than one night, as they always assume that we will just move on again.

Enjoy it and take it as it comes.

Don't forget to wave at other m/homers!!!

Thai

Over many years of camping and motorhoming all over U.K. and Europe I don't remember ever booking a campsite ( except once for a family gathering of about 8 units), so it's not essential.

However as this pastime seems to be increasingly popular it's a good idea to arrive on site by about 3 pm if you haven't booked.

Time of year also makes a difference. Avoid bank holidays if you can, and school holidays. If you can't, it's probably best to book.

Good luck.

as long as you're not going in the busy periods - just follow your nose and see where you end up - it's a long slog to the south-west, you might find it just as enjoyable [or more] if you make the drive down your holiday - look at the map, and think in terms of travelling a few hours each day and feel free to stop over if somewhere catches your fancy. The bit in the middle is congested and full of car parks masquerading as motorways but with a bit of effort off the beaten track can be rewarding.

and if you don't get as far as Somerset - well there's always next time.

B-)

Archived