Solar panels

eddie123

I have read the thread ref. solar panels on the hints and tips forum, but was wondering about security. Panels are expensive and appear very vulnerable to theft. How do those of you that use solar panels keep them secure whilst in use and you are away from the MH? Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Just to explain why I asked, when I was looking at solar panels they all appeared to be on stands, some stands supported only by a spike into the ground. I suppose a better arrangement would involve attaching to the roof with some form of bracket to point the panel towards the sun's line of travel.

We have a free-standing panel which has legs at the rear which allow the panel to be placed at an angle (similar to an easel) facing the sun.

Built into the frame is a plastic covered steel cable, similar to a bike lock cable. It has a loop at the end and came with a padlock (though not a very good one) for attachment to whatever is suitable.

What I've done is to buy a couple of bike lock cables with combination locks (cuts down on padlocks and keys) which both extend the length of the "security cable" and are easy to put on and take off.

Graham

My personal preferance is to bolt flat/stick flat on roof, ok you don't get max power but it makes it hard to steal and you don't have to mess around setting it up, I am very much a 'pull on the handbrake set for the night' type, if I get a ear bending I get out the TV arial and there needs to be some serious bribary to get me to set up sat dish.

Yes, Chris.

We only bought it at the NEC last October so have used it only twice so far - at Easter (Friday lunchtime until Monday morning) and last weekend (Friday lunchtime until Tuesday morning).

Easter was very sunny and last weekend less so. However, we used more power last weekend but it still replenished the battery. I move the panel round from time to time so that it is facing the sun. Because it is angled (rather than flat on the roof) it does a good job of catching the available light.

We don't use a lot of power - water pump for showers for two each morning plus washing up and lights for an hour at supper time. Also used it last weekend to charge my PDA through an inverter. It's probably a bit of an insurance/comfort factor rather than an essential but one that we would rather have than not and we are pleased so far.

Our panel is the Carasolar 50 - http://www.solarsolutions.org.uk/carasolar.htm. Our panel is actually squarer than the illustration and we paid less as we got a show deal.

Graham

Another question Graham, is there a regulator with this panel? Is there need for one too?

To those who have a fixed panel, who fitted it on your van?

Looking for advice on fitters of fixed panels and users of portable ones so we can decide what to do ourselves.

Chris

chris - 2007-05-13 9:46 PM

Another question Graham, is there a regulator with this panel? Is there need for one too?

To those who have a fixed panel, who fitted it on your van?

Looking for advice on fitters of fixed panels and users of portable ones so we can decide what to do ourselves.

Chris

Our present panel has max output of 30w and requires regulator to stop batery getting cooked.

chris - 2007-05-13 9:46 PM

Yes, Chris.

There is a regulator - definitely needed - built in. It also has a lead which terminates in a socket (standard caravan I think) plus a separate lead with the matching plug at one end and two ring terminals, for attaching to the battery posts at the other. The latter lead is fixed to the battery and coils neatly in the battery box when not in use.

There is a security cable & padlock to attach the unit to something solid to stop it being nicked (I've bought a couple of bike cable locks to extend this) and the whole comes in a padded bag for protection (still needs o be handled/stowed carefully though).

Graham

Archived