Ducato battery change

BAB

I’ve a ducato based motor home 2005 Knaus   The battery is located in engine compartment .    The space seems very tight I’m wondering if some body parts need to be removed to allow removal as it does not look straightforward to physically get it out ?

Difficulty replacing the starter-battery of Ducato vehicles of this age has been highlighted before.

This 2020 Fiat Forum thread provides guidance

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/replace-battery.481569/

and the thread includes the photo (below) that shows the position of the battery in the engine compartment.

image.jpeg.e2282fdca7b2fdfd11329b93fe1d3aba.jpeg

For motorhomes using the standard Ducato cab (ie. non-A-class coachbuilt designs) it should not be necessary to remove any body parts in order to get the battery out. Once the battery has been disconnected at its terminals ( and the cabling moved well out of the way) and the hold-down clamps (arrowed in green in photo) have been removed, it's MERELY 😉 a matter of lifting the battery out. The VARTA battery in the photo weighs about 22kg and a posting in the Fiat Forum thread  advises

Using the lifting cords, or handles fitted to the battery, raise the front end of the battery and slide it upwards and forwards over the front panel of the vehicle. As the battery is heavy, it may be safer if assistance is available at this stage. Lower the battery to the ground, or suitable support.

I have done this on my 2005 Ducato Benimar. As I remember, the difficulty was getting to the positive terminal clamping nut. Fiddly - but possible.

(Very important to totally take off the negative terminal first to isolate the battery - almost impossible to loosen the positive terminal without the spanner touching the bodywork!)

Then, as mentioned, you need "Popeye" forearms to lift the battery out!

Jeremy

Archived