Solar panel fitters. Recommendations please.

chris

We have decided to go for a fitted solar panel. We have researched for some time now and will be going for an 85watt panel fitted to the roof.

Several of you have these panels so my research is at the stage of asking "who fitted yours?"

We do not want to go down the road of fitting it ourselves sorry. One firm that seems to come with good references is A.Butt Ltd who fit at the shows.

Anyone used this firm or recommend any others?

Thanks.

Chris

chris - 2007-05-13 7:42 PM

We have decided to go for a fitted solar panel. We have researched for some time now and will be going for an 85watt panel fitted to the roof.

Several of you have these panels so my research is at the stage of asking "who fitted yours?"

We do not want to go down the road of fitting it ourselves sorry. One firm that seems to come with good references is A.Butt Ltd who fit at the shows.

Anyone used this firm or recommend any others?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

A B Butt fitted my solar panel and they are a very professional outfit.

Dave Newel http://www.davenewell.co.uk/ will do just as good a job though and I think he would be cheaper.

South Wale to Telford with an overnight stop at the campsite close to Dave's workshop, it's worth thinking about.

Don

We had ours fitted in February by Leisuretech services at Clitheroe. They did an excellent job, cost us £500. You can get an online quote too.

www.leisuretechservices.co.uk

We preferred not to have ours fitted at a show. They always seem to be in a hurray and not sure if they would do a good job.

Pam

Glad everyone has had good service.

We researched quite a few fitters at the Newbury show and just trying to find the right company now.

Unfortunately I work and travelling a couple of hundred miles on a weekend is not really too practical. (travelling from south Wales)

A possibility is make a trip to the Stratford on Avon show for a fitting but Dave Newell also sounds a good bet and A. Butt . Travelling to Telford is well within our reach too.

Solar solutions was another one that people seem to have used a lot but not sure if they fit at the shows though.

Another question posed here is that of fitting them at a show? Has anyone had any problems with this? Generally the companies all seem to know what they are doing (as long as the weather is fine)

I was under the impression it is cheaper and they tend to book you in rather than rush too many jobs? There is also the convenience of meeting a fitter at the show rather than travelling too far and it is possible to book ahead too.

Looked at the Stoneleisure website, they are not listing which exhibitors are attending this show.

Cost at the moment (at the shows) seems to be about £500-£550. Is that about what most of you paid for yours at the workshop.

Chris

Chris,

I would avoid having the panel installed at the shows. From previous experience there is not the workshop back up if they have even a minor snag.

Simple jobs at shows are not bad but I would avoid a solar panel installation.

Don

Don Madge - 2007-05-14 8:37 PM

Simple jobs at shows are not bad but I would avoid a solar panel installation.

Don

Detroit Solar fitted mine at Newark, and it has been fine so far. It does what it says on the stand.

For what it's worth, both at Peteborough and Newbury Shows, A Butt's price for an 85 watt panel (Kyocera, which are very good) was significantly cheaper than the competition's.

As far as fitting is concerned, as Don says, Dave Newell will do a good job and he only charges the ludicrously low rate of £30 per hour (no VAT at present).

Mel E

====

I am surprised that Show Organisers are happy with people crawling all over vans on a Public Site . With current Health & Safety Laws imagine the publicity if a fitter fell off a M/H roof on to a passer by, maybe the Show Organisers could be claimed against for allowing it to happen on a site under their control.

David

Archived