spurting water taps

yorkyram1

Hi everyone, i recently purchased a Bailey approach 765 motorhome and when we turn the taps on it spurts water out which then splashes all over the place!..it does however calm down after 4/5 attempts...can anyone give us any advise as to solving this irritating problem please?..many thanks,   Nigel.

Not letting the water tank run dry before topping up prevents air being drawn into the water supply pipes and hosework. Having an inline  non return valve in the supply pipe normally just after it exits the water tank will prevent the possibility of water draining back into the tank creating  air/vacuum in the hose/pipe pump system.

7 hours ago, yorkyram1 said:

Hi everyone, i recently purchased a Bailey approach 765 motorhome...

I believe you obtained your Bailey Approach Autograph 765 at the start of 2021, but I don't know whether you bought it new or secondhand. (Knowing the age of your motorhome could be important as  Bailey introduced this model in 2014 and there may have been changes to its water system's specification between 2014 and 2021.)

Has this 'spurting' issue always been present, or has the problem begun to occur recently?

I'm aware that the 765's fresh-water tank is external, but I'm not sure if the water pump is the submersible type (located inside the water tank) or the 'diaphragm' pressure-sensitive type that will be outside the tank. A water system that includes a submersible pump will definitely need a non-return valve (NRV) and this should be close to the pump itself. A pressure-sensitive pump (eg. SHURflo or Whale Watermaster) should act as a NRV and a separate valve should be unnecessary.

Taps will spurt dramatically when air is being bled from a motorhome's water system after the tank has been initially filled, but that's perfectly normal. Once all the air has been removed, the flow from the taps should remain (fairly) smooth.

If your taps are spurting every time you turn them on, then air is getting into the system somewhere and - if the water pump is the pressure-sensitive type - the hose and connections between the pump and the water pick-up in the tank need to be checked. A fault with the pump (or a crack in the strainer if the pump has one) could also allow air to enter and cause spurting.

The water within the section of pipe betwixt tank and pump such as the Shurflo or Whale can gravity backflow feed to the tank even though these pumps are acting as NRVs. This can result in asthmatic gasp or 2 at the taps. I've found a simple inline NRV fitted near the tank can help prevent this.

All three of my motorhomes had water systems that included a SHURflo pump and none of them had (or required) a supplementary NRV to smooth the water flow at the taps or to address 'spluttering' when the taps were turned on. Having said that, my motorhomes all had inboard fresh-water tanks, unlike Bailey models where the tank is underfloor, and I recall a forum discussion about an Auto-Sleeper motorhome with an underfloor tank where a photo showed a SHURflo pump with a separate NRV adjacent to it.

The water pipework of my last motorhome (a 2015 Rapido 640F) suddenly developed a violent vibration when a water outlet (tap, shower-head, toilet flush) was used. I identified that the culprit was lurking in the pipework between the water-feed outlet in the side of the water tank and the SHURflo pump, but I couldn't access the pipework to investigate further. Eventually, I blanked off the Rapido system and fed the SHURflo pump with water via a new flexible hose through the top of the tank,. I fitted a NRV close to the end of the hose within the tank itself - this made no noticeable difference to the flow at the water outlets, but its weight kept the hose in the tank from moving about.

Although I've browsed through a recent Bailey handbook, I don't know what water system Nigel's motorhome has. If it does have a pressure-sensitive pump and there's currently no separate NRV, adding an NRV might do some good spurting-wise and should do no harm.

I've always included a ball type NRV in the vans I've converted, judging it best installed on initial build could save potential hassle later on, and the cost being negligible. My tanks have always been underfloor mounted and pump inboard approx. 800mm higher, so there's always a head of water likely to back flow. I don't know where the Bailey tank is situated, on the roof would be ideal if they've skipped on an NRV 🙂

Bailey motorhome handbooks going back to 2012 can be found here

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/owners-manuals-and-service-handbooks/

All Approach Autograph models from 2013 to the present day have underfloor fresh-water tanks - this is made clear in all the relevant handbooks. However (as I suggested in my first posting above might have happened) it appears that changes to Autograph models' water system were made sometime after 2019. 

This image is copied from the 2019 handbook

image.png.e0dc647c186a510da0d9b02d51bcd753.png

and a few pages further on there's advice and photos of the Whale Watermaster pressure-sensitive water-pump and its grit filter. Earlier Autograph handbooks say "A Whale Watermaster pump is fitted to the Autograph range and used to pump fresh water to the taps. The pump is located under the floor, on the offside of the motorhome" so it's reasonable to assume that was still the case for 2019 Autographs.

The January 2020 handbook shows the same Autograph water system layout diagram that's in the 2019 booklet, but without the Watermaster Pump reference or arrow. There's also no mention of the Watermaster pump in subsequent pages.

The most recent online handbook (October 2020) does not include the Autograph water system layout diagram (nor any mention of a Watermaster pump) and - sure enough! - this April 2021 MHFun thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autograph-3-submersible-water-pump-on-battery-mains.238770/

confirms that Bailey Autographs had switched to the much-criticised caravan-style system comprising a Whale submersible pump with a Whale in-line pressure switch. This switch has an integrated NRV, but if any debris gets into it and there's no other NRV between the switch and  the submersible pump, water will drain back into the tank. If Nigel's Bailey has this switch, it would be worth checking its NRV for cleanliness. 

On 11/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, Derek Uzzell said:

Bailey motorhome handbooks going back to 2012 can be found here

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/owners-manuals-and-service-handbooks/

All Approach Autograph models from 2013 to the present day have underfloor fresh-water tanks - this is made clear in all the relevant handbooks. However (as I suggested in my first posting above might have happened) it appears that changes to Autograph models' water system were made sometime after 2019. 

This image is copied from the 2019 handbook

image.png.e0dc647c186a510da0d9b02d51bcd753.png

and a few pages further on there's advice and photos of the Whale Watermaster pressure-sensitive water-pump and its grit filter. Earlier Autograph handbooks say "A Whale Watermaster pump is fitted to the Autograph range and used to pump fresh water to the taps. The pump is located under the floor, on the offside of the motorhome" so it's reasonable to assume that was still the case for 2019 Autographs.

The January 2020 handbook shows the same Autograph water system layout diagram that's in the 2019 booklet, but without the Watermaster Pump reference or arrow. There's also no mention of the Watermaster pump in subsequent pages.

The most recent online handbook (October 2020) does not include the Autograph water system layout diagram (nor any mention of a Watermaster pump) and - sure enough! - this April 2021 MHFun thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autograph-3-submersible-water-pump-on-battery-mains.238770/

confirms that Bailey Autographs had switched to the much-criticised caravan-style system comprising a Whale submersible pump with a Whale in-line pressure switch. This switch has an integrated NRV, but if any debris gets into it and there's no other NRV between the switch and  the submersible pump, water will drain back into the tank. If Nigel's Bailey has this switch, it would be worth checking its NRV for cleanliness. 

Hi Derek,  thanks for your advise, you certainly know your stuff!!...as for me, ime pretty clueless when it comes to solving such a problem....you advise on checking the NRV for cleanliness and wonder if you could give me any idea how i would go about it please?..i would probably have to take it in to someone to have it looked at but your advise may be very helpful before i take such action...many thanks,  Nigel.

There's a Whale video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmn0qG_dK0&ab_channel=Whale_Pumps

First thing to confirm is that your Bailey motorhome's water system includes the Whale switch, and then identify  where it is.

This MHFun thread 

said "...the pressure switch is housed under the oven behind a cut out in a false back panel.." This suggests that cleaning the switch's NRV might well require removal of the switch. 

Archived