Plymouth ferry dock

bob b

I'm booked on a 12.00 ferry Plymouth / Santander on 29th Aug.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to spend the preceding night on the dock ? I'm anxious to avoid a "scamble" in the morning !!

Many thanks

A few years ago I stayed in a rough ground car park just outside the ferry terminal.

Kept awake most of the night by the local yobs.

Now I stay at the Riverside Caravan Site which is on the outskirts of Plymouth, about 30 min. from ferry

As an inhabitant of Plymouth, I would agree that the terminal is not the best place to spend a night before embarkation. Riverside touring Park is one possibility but can get busy and is (I feel) a bit expensive. There are 5 van sites in the area for club members, all of which are withing 30 minutes of the terminal. Another possibility is a large and fairly secluded 'lay-by' off the A38 west bound from Exeter. It is reached by following the A38 past the town of Ivybridge and village of Lee Mill. Take the next exit sign posted 'Smithaleigh', pass the Little Chef restaurant, Filling Station and campsite entrance (another possibility?) and the lay-by is on your left. You are separated from the A38 by a high earth-bank and a road width. It is attractive to LGV's, however, so is not the quietest place on earth but preferable to the ferry port. You are about 20 minutes from the port. If you are considering the campsite above, it is called Smithaleigh Caravan Park, but booking would be advisable, as it is only small.

Just a little further back along the A38 at South Brent there's a nice little site called "Palstone" open all year.It takes about 35 minutes into the docks from there providing it dont coincide with the drive to work times.Its a nice village with 3 pubs & a couple of shops etc.A straight run along the A38 into Plymouth.I lived there for 15 years & also stayed on the site for short periods during house sales,quiet with no yobs !!! (lol)

Archived