Swift Group/Brownhills

Fourwheels

Just bought a new Ace Airstream from Brownhills in Canterbury and 24 hours of ownership my reversing camera packed up, the radio does not work nor the dvd player or Freeview. Not tried water, fridge or heating yet.

Brownhills in their glory managed to keep me waiting over two hours after the agreed pick up time and supplied the van with just enough diesel to get me to the nearest petrol garage. This after I asked and was promised by their business manager to make sure that enough diesel would be in the van on collection.

The satnav system in the Swift groups van is a Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca MP3 version and not much use to motorhomers. No camping sites details and impossible to upload details of CC, CCC CL camp sites, low bridges, road side restaurants or speed cameras. Blaupunkt will not help, said, nothing to do with them!.

From what you say, though, the items that no longer work did work when you collected your van.  If they did, don't you have to assume Brownhills did at least that much of the PDI?  Things, especially electronics, if they fail at all, quite commonly fail on first use.

So, have you possibly switched off the supply from your leisure battery?  If so, is it possible the DVD player etc are all wired from this rather than the starter battery?  I'd think it bad practice to wite a freeview receiver to the starter battery, so that could well be the answer to that problem.  However, if they have all failed together, it may be a connection that has loosened while you drove, it could just be a faulty fuse.  Have you checked these possibilities?

Being kept waiting is bad, and failing to supply a full tank to drive away is tight.  However, since you only asked for "enough" fuel, was what they supplied insufficient?  What is your yardstick?  Was this just misunderstanding?  Can you prove they lied, rather than misunderstood?  If you'd specified a full tank to be included, and it was on the order, they'd probably have provided it.

Who fitted the sat nav?  If Brownhills, and you specified exactly what you wanted, and the one fitted doesn't comply, they'll have to fit another that does.  However, if it is standard Swift supplied kit, how are its failings Brownhills fault?

Blaupunkt Lucca is a fair sat nav.  However, Blaupunkt don't make satnavs specifically for campers.  It seems a poor choice by Swift, I guess it was just cheaper than others if bought in bulk, and I doubt the shortcoming even ocurred to them.  I don't expect the directors own motorhomes!  However, why not take that matter up with Swift, if they fitted it, and point out its shortcomings?  They may fit a better one next time!  In the meantime, if you know the address you're trying to get to, I assume it will navigate you there?

I do think your allegations may be just a little hasty and unfair.  They should not have kept you waiting if you'd agreed a time, that is rude.  However, the van surely has to be returned to Brownhills, and they have to be given the opportunity to put right what has gone wrong.  If they fail to do that within a reasonable time, and it really is their fault and not Swifts, then you really do have grounds for complaint about them. 

In the meantime, give them a chance, and try to keep them onside.  Swifts products, unfortunately, don't seem to have the highest incidence of fault-free delivery!

Brian,

Thank you for your reply, I would like to clarify the following.

Did all the items that failed ,work when picking up van. I doubt it, the radio did not work or was tuned into any station, the Freeview was causing the main delay on pickup and was not as far as I know working giving me the excuse that Canterbury was a bad reception area and I should try at home. [i wonder if all the other vans sold from Canterbury are told this!!]. the reversing camera was working.

I do not know how these items are wired up and trust Swift and Brownhills to know what they are doing. The satnav is supplied by Swift and fitted by ?? and although not especially setup for campers is by no means a patch on TomTom Go system [check gps forums] Have contacted Swift re upgrade to 5.2 unit but do not expect a favourable reply.

I did not mean to imply that Brownhills were at fault over the gps system.

I am sorry that you think my allegations are hasty and unfair but I purchased a van from Brownhills in Newark in 2001 and they left me with just enough fuel to get to the garage on the A1 junction and I did not want this to occur again and specifically asked Martin the business manager to make sure that I had enough fuel to get home to East Sussex. He promised that there would be at least ½ tank supplied...it was not, and yes I have a witness.

Regarding the pickup, it was arranged for 14.00 hrs. Brownhills did telephone me at home and asked if I could come a little later. I arrived at Canterbury at 14.45 and still had to wait over an hour for them to fix a fault on the van. The fault was with the freeview system [see earlier notes]

When we finally collected the van to take home at 18oohrs I told the salesman that there was no fuel as promised and he said that he would arrange a credit for this. Needless to say that has never happened.

The van is going back to Brownhills this Thursday and I hope............

Can't believe anyone is still buying from Brownhills after all the postings on this site. We called in to the Swindon one last week and found a guy ranting and raving about his van that they had had for 14 days which had a list of problems as long as your arm and they had not even looked at it.

The girl he was ranting at looked only 18 if she was a day. Nobody else around. He went out commenting that they would be hearing from his solicitor. We left thanking ourselves that we did not buy from them.

From Freeview I take it that you mean terrestrial digital TV. You have to be very lucky if you can receive this in a van or motorhome. The status aerial if that is what you have fitted are just not up to the job. A number of my group have tried and only seem to achieve success if you can see the transmitter.

Brownhills comment about a poor signal may be well justified.

Miami - 2007-05-14 4:31 PM

Can't believe anyone is still buying from Brownhills after all the postings on this site. We called in to the Swindon one last week and found a guy ranting and raving about his van that they had had for 14 days which had a list of problems as long as your arm and they had not even looked at it.

The girl he was ranting at looked only 18 if she was a day. Nobody else around. He went out commenting that they would be hearing from his solicitor. We left thanking ourselves that we did not buy from them.

Not you doing the ranting, I know John, but ranting at an 18 year old girl sounds rather like bullying to me.  When will people learn that abuse, no matter how justified they may feel it, only makes matters worse?

People seem surprised that, rather than galvanising the other party into action as they hope/imagine, it more often results in withdrawal of any semblance of co-operation, sullenness, failure to volunteer otherwise beneficial information, and a dangerous desire to get one back!  Especially if the recipient is 18!

Those who rant usually engender more sympathy for the abused staff from other customers, than sympathy for themselves.  Usually accompanied by people saying "what an unpleasant man" or similar (its seldom a woman, is it?).

Instead of ranting, it might be more productive if the injured party simply burst into tears!  A client blubbing uncontrollably at their treatment would be far more difficult for staff to ignore, and would have a far greater impact on other potential customers, than the sounds of any amount of verbal assault and battery! 

Indeed, this is such a good ploy, I think I'll try it myself next time someone lets me down!  I'll let you know  :-)

Steven

I view of what you say, I suggest you advise the said Martin you expect to get the van back with the fuel tank absolutely brimming - and he can take the cost out of his credit!  Re the GPS, it seems you have what Swift chooses to supply.  Its value is included in the sale price and I think any upgrade would have to have been agreed before you accepted - by default - to the standard unit.  It is clearly disappointing for you, but Swift aren't under any obligation to supply, or match, the TomTom Go.

It seems you may have arrived at Brownhills expecting to collect your new van, and were reluctant, when you found items not working, to leave it with them until everything was set up and working properly. 

Easy to say after the event I know, but I think this is the lesson from your experience.  In effect the problem is now yours; had you left it with them it would have been theirs.  They'll have to fix it of course, but they're no longer waiting for the cash, and you'll have to do all the running around!

Steven,

I too have the Blaupunkt system, and would agree the Satnav is not the best, however the radio, CD & DVD player take some beating in my opinon.

My Freeview working with the Status aerial seems to be no problem as more transmitters come on stream, last weekend we were in Bedford and had an excellent picture, but in some areas it is a definite no as yet, and this is so where I live.

My supplier filled the fuel tank to the top without being asked plus gave me a loan car free for the day 4 months later when I took the van back for minor warranty work.

I know where my next van will come from ;-)

David

PS. Brownhills are my local dealer, but I read the comments before :->

Guest starspirit

Brian is right - personal attacks achieve nowt.

If persistent politeness fails putting it all in politely writing to the MD with copies to branch manager and manufacturer might help.

I find the phrase 'how would you feel if you had spent xxxxx thousands of pounds on this van' or 'please for a moment put yourself in my place' sometimes helps get them around to your way of thinking.

If all else fails a photo copy of a county court summons for cost of rectification elsewher and compensation damages often focuses their minds somewhat.

But do always be polite and try to smile if you really want them to help.

Rubbish ,

it don't work scream cry shout embarras them stand outside the front door and shout to all and saundry DONT BUT FROM THESE PEOPLE THEY ROB YOU TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN.....MAKE EM LOOSE SALES

That is not soley reserved for Brownhills by the way :D

Hi fourwheels

Very sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the famous Brownhills group!!

The best bet - like us - is to keep a copy of all correspondence and make sure that you send a copy to the people at the very top.

We had a issue with taking delivery of our new Hymer Starline 700.

I just omitted the people at Hymer UK & sent a letter to Nick Pearce at Brownhills in Newark, with a copy to Hymer UK in Preston.

You'd be surprised at the instant response we got from Hymer UK.!!

As people have stated before, no point in shouting as this usually gets the minimum response and staff generally put up the shutters.

Best to put things in writing in a calm and detailed manner.Start at the top and work down.

Afterall, us people have saved & also spent a small fortune with these dealers.

Stay calm- difficult I know- and get things down on paper and recorded/filed away,especially to the sequence of events and who you spoke to, and any agrrements made. I f verbal, then get a copy on paper as to this agreement.

This helped us to no end!!

Do not accept anything until you are satisfied and see it working 1st hand!!

Throw the probs back to them, again difficult when you want to get away in your new motor.

Best of luck with your complaints.

Good luck.

Thai

Hello

Firstly, sorry to hear of your woes. On a practical point, I can tell you about my reverse camera.

The thing displays only a blue screen with the words "no signal" displayed. I can however hear everything via the microphone/speaker. A new camera was ordered but due to a further complication, has not been fitted yet. I said I was happy to have that work done when the new door was fitted.

Have a read of my post entitled The curse of Kontiki.

As for other things in this thread, shouting at the young lass will solve nothing. (I know it was not you). I have had no end of problems with my Swift and the dealer in question has actually commented on my good humour. Letters/emails however are a bit more stern LOL

I have added a new post with my suggestions for handover.

Russell

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-14 5:50 PM

Steven

Re the GPS, it seems you have what Swift chooses to supply. Its value is included in the sale price and I think any upgrade would have to have been agreed before you accepted - by default - to the standard unit. It is clearly disappointing for you, but Swift aren't under any obligation to supply, or match, the TomTom Go.

It seems you may have arrived at Brownhills expecting to collect your new van, and were reluctant, when you found items not working, to leave it with them until everything was set up and working properly.

The satnav system comes with the Diamond pack and I have no control over this and would doubt that Brownhills would even know that there was another more suitable system available,but one would have thought that Swift might have anticipated that a motorhome owner might want to have details of camp sites, stop overs etc on their satnav which ever system that they would supply. As I said I contacted Swift about upgrading the TravelPilot and they have of course ignored my email.When I arrived at Brownhills to collect my new van, I waited patiently for them to have it ready for me and it was Brownhills that advised me that all was ready and a technician came over to show us the van and advised that all was well.David,Go on, tell us which Brownhills treated you like a valued customer.I have not lost my rag with Brownhills yet but then I have not taken the van out for its first overnight stay. Time will tell if all is working as it should and as this is my first Swift Group van I have full confidence with them :-(

Credit when credit is due, all is now fixed.

Telephoned Brownhills and told them what was wrong and not working and booked an appointment for all the work to be done.

On arrival [ 10.30] no-one knew what work was to be done, a row with a service tecknican and then left van with them for the work to be done.

Was told van ready at 3.30, but found radio still did not work and insisted that they do this. 4.30 all is done and everything works as it should.

The TravelPilot is awfull, giving wrong directions and taking the motorvan down narrow country roads, and the voice blurred. Have taken this out completely and will install TomTom.

Looking forward to our first overnight trip in the new van.

I know a number of Forum members love to blame Brownhills for everything that goes wrong but it looks to me as if they are not to blame for these problems and have in fact now put things right. As of course they should. A frustration I find with motorhome matters is that dealers do not respond as quickly as I would like and we are used to having car problems solved quickly. But cars are now made by machine whereas motorhomes involve too much hand labour. Do you know that Brownhills have over 11,500 Privilege Club Card members so if one percent have problems that probably accounts for the people who complain on this Forum.

Yep, very fair and balanced comments Chris.  They are, I believe, UKs largest dealership, they are spread over a number of sites, their staff are almost all, if not all, salaried employees, including the branch managers, and I suspect the sales staff are on some kind of commission/incentive scheme.

The problem seems to be a reluctance to take "ownership", as we now say, of a problem when it arises.  No doubt settling one disgruntled customer's problem gets in the way of the next sale, or whatever, and so they all play "pass the parcel" while the customer fumes.  From what I have been able to glean from this forum, once the customer gets to the right person, Brownhills do do things properly, even to the extent of rebuilding most of the rear of one lady's used van which suffered rot due to leakage.  An expensive little repair, that!

The lesson, I think, is to work out who is in charge, and then deal calmly and firmly with them.  Brownhills, as a business, seems not to be managing its branches, or its staff, very cleverly, and it seems one needs to be quite exhaustingly persistent to get them to deliver.  However, as above, once the right buttons are pushed, the old one armed bandit does cough.

My reservation about this story overall, though, is that Brownhills got it badly wrong at the outset with the handover appointment, when they were discourteous in the extreme, and compounded that by handing over a van they clearly hadn't de-bugged.  That is so stupid, it makes me feel like bashing a wall with my head!  Instead of a beaming, happy, proud, owner of a new motorhome, they reduced their client to a furious, doubt ridden, wreck!

Mission statement, no doubt: "Our clients are our greatest asset" or some such similar blandishment.  A few years back, with colleagues, we devised a new theory of management.  It was called MBWA.  This stands for management by walking about.  It is surprising how many so called managers never do this; just get up from their desk and go and walk around their business.  Strange that something so basic should appear so original, isn't it? ;-)

Wills Wagon - 2007-05-25 6:44 PM

A frustration I find with motorhome matters is that dealers do not respond as quickly as I would like and we are used to having car problems solved quickly.

Ha ha

I own a car that has just come bottom of the JD Power survey for owner satisfaction. The other make the dealer sells came second bottom!

I don't recommend Mercedes/Smart/Chrysler for getting problems resolved quickly!

And I'm sure other manufacturers are the same.

My car leaks ('fixed' on numerous occasions and is now finally dry).

my dealer crashed my car in their car park.

my dealer charges £450 for a full service (on a £9k car).

I know more about how my car works than the dealer.

Parts take months to arrive and are often not what is ordered.

shall I go on...

It's just as well I love the car!

Wills Wagon - 2007-05-25 6:44 PM

I know a number of Forum members love to blame Brownhills for everything that goes wrong but it looks to me as if they are not to blame for these problems and have in fact now put things right. As of course they should. A frustration I find with motorhome matters is that dealers do not respond as quickly as I would like and we are used to having car problems solved quickly. But cars are now made by machine whereas motorhomes involve too much hand labour. Do you know that Brownhills have over 11,500 Privilege Club Card members so if one percent have problems that probably accounts for the people who complain on this Forum.

Years ago we had to pay a premium for having a hand made Rolls Royce rather than accept a sub-standard mass produced car. Now we're told that we can't expect a quality motorhome because they are essential hand made. Tell it to the marines Wills !!!!

Vernon

I believe in approaching the top man when a problem arises but it must be polite and detailed. AND GENUINE.

Slightly off stream here I had a problem with BT over a Broadband connection and wrote to the Chief Executive. I had a telephone reply from his office by a senior manager and received a payment cancellation of £70.00

• 2 months later...

Update:

Went away in May for a few days and all was well, weather has been so bad did not get away until this week.

Chose a site not far from home and set up. Next morning put the water heater on again and five minutes later the control panel froze. There was no water no loo, no way of turning the control panel off. I was traveling with my 90 year old mother who could not wash, go to loo or any of the other things that a normal human might want to do after a nights rest.

Telephoned Brownhills in Canterbury to ask for assistance and advice. Explained to them the circumstances and was advised the person to help me was with a customer but he would call me back. After over an hour I called Brownhills again and the girl promised that she would go and find this person and he would contact. Well by 1 o'clock we had had enough and packed up, canceled our holiday and went home.

Left to Brownhills, Canterbury devices we would still be stuck at a site, that had no shower or toilet facilities, wondering why we ever bought a Swift group motorvan. The electrics completly packed up, tried to disconnect the electrics, started the van engine but nothing worked.

Anyone want to buy a little used 3 month old, 800 miles Ace Airstream!!!!!

B-) This HAS to be a very GOOD reason NOT to buy a brand NEW Motorhome. Save around 35% and buy second-hand when ALL the problems have possibly been sorted. Alternatively? Fly to the USA buy an RV have a Fantastic touring holiday for as long as you like? Ship the RV back. Sell it at a profit or keep it at a BIG saving of buying from a dealer. IMH&HO. (lol)

:-( PS. Sorry you are having so many problems with YKW. ;-)

Know how you feel i have a new swifts Ace Napoli we have had a few problems with the rear tyres rubbing on the waste pipes and wearing holes went into Webbs of Warminster where they fixed it Swifts were not interested, however on the way out of the workshop they noticed the engine management light was on and phoned to tell me i would have to take it to a fiat dealer as although they sold it to me it was not their responsibility , i contacted MMM and took the editors advice rang Webbs back and they responded straight away and have been great since,i get the feeling that the dealers dont get much back up from Swifts so its little wonder people plump for other makes. When i had a Rollerteam i still got positive back up after the motorhome was 4 years old!!! i hope Swifts read all our comments and reply but somehow i doubt they will. Cecil Devizes Wilts

Archived