Caravan Club - what's the point?

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Joined CC last month because insurers kind of insisted on a club membership

repeatedly since then I have failed to get any site bookings for preferred dates or managed to gain access to ferry bookings area on site - have been trying for 3 weeks on and of and pages just hang for ever....

finally gave up and booked with ferry operator directly.

whats the point of membership of an organization, which is oversubscribed (or not enough sites) and has a hopeless on line booking service.

You have to start ringing the MOMENT they open for business in December - and be prepared to sit on the 'phone all day waiting to get to the front of the queue.. .. .. *-) *-)

or - find another club - or another insurer

btw - which insurer is insisting on club membership - and why ??

B-)

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out Judgmental, although I do agree that weekends are difficult. We have just come back from a trip up to Scotland, staying at Berwick, Invernahavon and Thirsk CC sites and they all had space. Having said that, we spend two or three weekends a year at Clumber Park and if I don't get those booked up right at the beginning of the season, there's no chance. But the weekends are hell anyway, we only go because we need to be in the area and we only want somewhere to park the van and sleep. What did really annoy me was a weekend in March at Clumber when the site was full but there was still only one shower block open.

The website is not that bad either, although it was better before they "improved" it in my opinion. I have actually just emailed to ask what happened to the OS map references, they only seem to have GPS now. Not much good to me, I'm afraid, I am one of those women who can actually read a map.

Is your web browser etc. up to date? This might help with getting the pages to open?

Hi Judge,

Yes it can be difficult to get on some of the most popular sites across a weekend but we have always found somewhere, or used a CL instead and moved to the site we want on the first available day.

With regards the Ferry booking, I'm not sure why you are having a problem as I have just gone on (open now in another tab) clearly don't know your required dates but I have just entered an outward and return date for the end of this week returning 10 days later and the best price that has come up is £34.20 return for a 7metre length and 3metre height with 2 passengers out at 2210 on Saturday and return at0945 the following wednesday week.

If I wasn't already going two weeks after that I might have taken that!!

Bas

the web site should take unrefundable deposits to stop people booking up all the pitches in advance just incase we get good weather. weekends are booked up well in advance then cancelled or changed at the last minute. you couldnt get away with that for ordering tickets for any other event

dean

Guest starspirit

I'm not allowed to comment on the CC or FW will come back and get me!

But I do find the CCC and MCC much more friendly and motorhome orientated.

I've never known an insurer insist on any club membership and my response to one who did would be simple - 'Goodbye'!

starspirit - 2007-05-14 9:11 PM

I'm not allowed to comment on the CC or FW will come back and get me!

But I do find the CCC and MCC much more friendly and motorhome orientated.

I've never known an insurer insist on any club membership and my response to one who did would be simple - 'Goodbye'!

some insurers give a discount if you're a member of one of the main clubs

B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Basil,

if you dont mind and as an experiment...

will you look at a dover - calais crossing, the late evening 25th May - returning 31st May in th late afternoon. 6.6M Long 3.1M high camper 2 adults 2 children..

got so fed up today booked directly with Sea France and it cost me £136 (used seafrance as we had an £80 credit from Easter due to new van arriving late)

:-D

Hi again J,

Just put in 6 and 8 and the best price is with P&O on your dates out at 2055 return at 1655 cost £96.85 return, not quite as good as my earlier look but not that bad a price.

Bas

P.s cross posted I will see if your age groups do any thing different.

Hi Judge,

Hmmm strange that, exactly the same information put in but with your correct ages and now the cheapest is again P&O at the same sailing times but the cost is now£116.85 return, not sure why older children cost more!

But the booking system is working correctly so I am not sure why you are having a problem.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

thanks Basil

so only cost me £20 more - not to bad then.

you would think the age would not matter....

Hi J,

Seafrance was listed but it said fully booked at those times, as did Norfolkline so no price was quoted.

We always get an idea of when we want to cross then put in the information and adjust it by the days and hours until we get the best deal, ours was £55 return the next crossing in June with P&O through the CC.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

cracked it Basil, went in via exporer instead of firefox ( dont know how to clear cookies in firefox) and got in straight away.

thats the good news, prices have shot right up. so £136 seafrance not looking to bad!

pays to book well in advance - which I did but late delivery of van threw everything out

£287.85 *-)

Dover (P&O) to Calais (P&O) 25/05/2007 22:25 - Standard

Accom: None

Calais (P&O) to Dover (P&O) 31/05/2007 15:25 - Standard

I have also found Firefox to be a problem. I now use Slimbrowser instead of Explorer and it is great. Never fails to get in to sites.

I have found it better to phone for ferries to the CC as not all the options are on the website and the girls there will search for the cheapest.

The online booking service is much better than it was but if you want to go within a week phone the site. They usually have a pitch or do as we do and find a CL.

I've always used the CC for ferry bookings and have bought the CC Red Pennant insurance. The bug bind is getting through on the phone but once in contact with a live human the CC service in both these respects is exemplary. We had occasion to use the Red Pennant insurance last year and cannot praise it enough - the service we received in our moment of distress was nothing short of absolutely wonderful. This year, in addition to ferrying our motorhome over in the autumn, we are taking a car over to France for a couple of weeks. The ferry booking (Dover to Dunkerque) for the car, leaving on Friday, was made in December and the return fare is so cheap I wonder how Norfolk Line can profit from it. I have added the car to the Red Pennant policy for no additional cost.

However, I am beginning to wonder if the CC is pricing itself out of the market in site fees. Compared to average prices in France and CCC prices in the UK (OK we're both entitled to the CCC old folk's discount) the CC is way over the top.

JudgeMental - 2007-05-15 4:24 AM

cracked it Basil,

£287.85 *-)

Dover (P&O) to Calais (P&O) 25/05/2007 22:25 - Standard

Calais (P&O) to Dover (P&O) 31/05/2007 15:25 - Standard

Glad you have cracked it, well almost, they are still offering at £128.25 return with P&O.

Were you aware that after it searches the first time if you then click the 'More' button it does another search you then get offered other prices which are invariably cheaper than the first search, you sometimes get offered another 'More' button that can find even cheaper ones.

I don't know why you have to keep doing this until no more are offered to get the best prices but that is how the site works.

Bas

Archived