Best way2mount motorbicycle in Hymer garage

Hughmer

I want to carry a Honda Innova 125cc approx 110kg in the garage of my S660

Saw an easy lifter type thing at Newbury 2 days ago but have mislaid details. It comprised a V section trough of alluminium checker plate and a ramp that hooked into it. It was designed for mounting behind a vehicle, but the sales chap said it would be ok to use the component parts without all the mounting brackets and bolt the trough through the garage floor.

Can anyone give advice on this proposal.

Is this type of arrangement (it looked very strurdy) as good as, or better or worse that the Hymer part?

Have you done this, or done something similar? Did you bolt through the floor and if so what mastic do you recommend to seal the holes? Is sikaflex OK?

thanks

PS In advance of concerns being expressed, yes I've done my sums and yes there is enough payload, axle weight etc

thanks for the Fiamma link. Since posting I found an old thread where the Fiamma is also mentioned

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7022&posts=33

But as you say the Fiamma is about £150 whereas the two V plates by Easy Lifter I saw at Newbury were £80. Perhaps not quite as whizzy as Fiamma, - their write up says their system zips together, - amazing what people can do with metal these days!

Has anyone bought/installed the gen Hymer kit? How much did it cost and do you think it was worth it?

The other thread mentioned putting the bike stand down and using it to stabilise the bike. Not too keen on this proposal as height is a bit restricted and I'd be afraid of point load on floor.

Does anyone have experience of this being a problem? Is it even necessary to spread the load on the floor, - other than by the natural spread of load occurring through the tyres?

One thing to check with these is that the ramp portion really is up to the job.  I have seen one scooter wheel slip sideways off such a ramp because the metal flexed.  It took two of us to get things back under control, and the scooter owner was in trouble till I arrived!  The ramp wasn't permanently distorted, which surprised me, but it twisted enough under load to dump the front wheel overboard.  Test with your actual scooter before you buy, lighter gauge metal is one possible reason for the price difference.

HI Hughmer

Just looking in our Hymer acessories cat and see that there are a few options available.

There is one that fixes to the side wall of your garage, with a sturdy ramp.

German part numbers are:-

Ramp - artikel Nr 88 261 or

Wall fixing and ramp - artikel Nr 88 360

Cat says that these are suitable for Hymer S-Klasse from 2001 onwards.

Ours is a Starline 700 on a merc 416 chasis with garage and we are looking at a similar option

Best to check with Hymer first.

Suggest Hymer.com as you might get "ripped" with UK prices.

Hope this helps

Thai

I asked Brownhills for advice on this some time ago. They quoted £436 for the job but also suggested I look at Movera.com who supply Hymer with certain accessories. I found an "in garage" motorcycle rack on the site

http://www.movera.com/en/?navID=59&pID=1133&tpl=details&lang=2

but I don't think it looks very strong.

I think the device you saw at Newbury is by Easy-Lifter systems

try this link

http://www.motorcycle-trailers.co.uk/Bike_Racks/bike_racks_single_003.htm

I think it's what you're looking for. Hope Bryan agrees it's strong enough. Doesn't look likely to bend to me.

bike_rack_003.thumb.jpg.9a410adec5469321150f15bfbcc37e94.jpg

Don't know what the car is, but I'd be surprised if the tow bracket that's supporting it can take a total downforce exceeding 75Kg, including the weight of the rack.  100Kg absolute top whack.  So, how are you going to carry the other half of the scooter? ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-15 5:12 PM

Don't know what the car is, but I'd be surprised if the tow bracket that's supporting it can take a total downforce exceeding 75Kg, including the weight of the rack.  100Kg absolute top whack.  So, how are you going to carry the other half of the scooter? ;-)

car looks like a mitsubishi spacewagon, any bets (?)

mark lambert - 2007-05-15 6:10 PM

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-15 5:12 PM

car looks like a mitsubishi spacewagon, any bets (?)[/quote

or space star/ space runner

Brian seems to have lost track of this thread which I read was to establish a means of fixing a motorcycle in a motorhome garage. The questioner wanted info about a trough and a ramp which mtdloft supplied. The fact that mtdloft's picture showed a very useful ramp and trough fixed to the back of a car seems largely irrelevant in the context of the thread.

Brian you're profiled as an expert. Are readers to suppose you are an expert motorhomer or just a forum posting nurdy type expert? You really should get out more and not sit in front of your screen all day trying to log more posts than anyone else.

If the latter, - at least try to make your comments relevant to the topic.

Thanks very much mtdloft for the info about

http://www.motorcycle-trailers.co.uk

It's what I saw at Newbury. I have now ordered a trough to mount in the Hymer garage and a ramp to get the bike into it.

I couldn't trace the firm in my programme as it had disintegrated in all the rain and as far as I could tell there is no exhibitor list on the Warners website. (... Warners... are you listening? )

The reason I was having trouble tracking down the makers was that the firm trades as motorcycle-trailers.

Easylifter is just one of the things they make.

thanks once again

(it's not nice to insult people)spotter - 2007-05-16 9:50 AM

Brian seems to have lost track of this thread which I read was to establish a means of fixing a motorcycle in a motorhome garage. The questioner wanted info about a trough and a ramp which mtdloft supplied. The fact that mtdloft's picture showed a very useful ramp and trough fixed to the back of a car seems largely irrelevant in the context of the thread.

Brian you're profiled as an expert. Are readers to suppose you are an expert motorhomer or just a forum posting nurdy type expert? You really should get out more and not sit in front of your screen all day trying to log more posts than anyone else.

If the latter, - at least try to make your comments relevant to the topic.

you know the more I read it the more I become annoyed .

Firstly I appologise for butting into your thread.

(it's not nice to insult people) Spotter , well about sums it up really who in their right mind would come on to a Forum posing as a new member just to cause disharmony ?

That about sums it up.. discusted that you could not of handle your comments in a more gentlemanly, friendly way . How rude are you.

(it's not nice to insult people)spotter - 2007-05-16 9:50 AM Brian seems to have lost track of this thread which I read was to establish a means of fixing a motorcycle in a motorhome garage. The questioner wanted info about a trough and a ramp which mtdloft supplied. The fact that mtdloft's picture showed a very useful ramp and trough fixed to the back of a car seems largely irrelevant in the context of the thread. Brian you're profiled as an expert. Are readers to suppose you are an expert motorhomer or just a forum posting nurdy type expert? You really should get out more and not sit in front of your screen all day trying to log more posts than anyone else. If the latter, - at least try to make your comments relevant to the topic.

Ignoring the compliments, because dear boy, as the item shown is mounted on the back of a car, (and not on hotorhome) and attached to its tow bracket, it is liable to have a maximum permissible load carrying capacity of 75Kg or less, suggesting the item, especially the ramp, is inadequate for a scooter weighing 110Kg, as originally proposed!  So, spot your own username, eh?

(it's not nice to insult people)spotter - 2007-05-16 3:16 PM Huff and puff. You can't know whether the car's been strengthened. Admit it, your comment was just not relevant. I think the fact is you just like the sound of your own keyboard.

Reading your contribuions to this thread, it's obvious that you are not adding any value to the discussion, are adopting a very childish attitude and are probably out of your depth on this forum.

I have therefore added links to a couple of other sites where you will probably feel more at home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/

http://www.allkids.co.uk/kids_pages/kids_tv.shtml

(it's not nice to insult people)spotter - 2007-05-16 3:16 PM Huff and puff. You can't know whether the car's been strengthened. Admit it, your comment was just not relevant. I think the fact is you just like the sound of your own keyboard.

Well, you've twice proved you can do rude.  Question is, can you also do intelligent?  If so, try to get in touch with that side of your personality, and be welcome.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-16 7:02 PM

Well, you've twice proved you can do rude.  Question is, can you also do intelligent?  If so, try to get in touch with that side of your personality, and be welcome.

[/quoteHey Brian, you keep tapping away young man, we like the look of what you type, very helpfullI also think this might be a setup via someone we've heard from before (?) time will tell

Archived