When is a TV not a TV . . . .

Way2Go

. . . . apparently when it's a monitor.

Six weeks ago, after a lot of searching, we bought a flat screen TV from Comet.  Nice set with a great picture.

Unfortunately, it doesn't handle going from bright to dark very well.  An example is as follows:-

shot 1: Golfer on the tee - great picture.

shot 2: Ball get hit into sky - picture flickers a lot with the brightness and goes dark.

Shot 3: Ball lands on grass - looks like the inside of a cellar.

Shot 4: Picture of happy golfer - flaring red face and arms, vivid green shirt.

Gave up the golf and watched Happy Feet - lots of black penguins with plenty of snow and ice - great picture then lots more flickering when picture goes from group shot to long shot involving snow and ice.

I went back to Comet to query this and the guy said "Yeah, they all do that.  Trouble is, it isn't a TV it's a monitor that can receive TV pictures".

"Then why are they in the TV section and not the computer section?" I enquired.  "Because they are sorta TVs" he replied.  "If you want to avoid all that flaring you'll need to buy a TV" he helpfully added.

"I thought that's what I bought" I replied.  "Nah" he continued.  "That's really a monitor.  It sounds like you want a TV".  Well he had some 'TVs' but they were another £100 or so.  "Hmm"  says I.  "I'll think about it".

I thought I'd give it another go last weekend but it ain't any better so it's going back to be replaced.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Surely there must be dozens and dozens of these flat screen TVs around but I've never heard of this problem.

We get a terrific picture from our Freeview which is spoilt by this flaring.  We either have a duff one or this is fairly common with this type of flat screen 'TV'.

Any comments guys?

The only LCD tv's I've seen that have a good picture have been Phillips and Sony, others that are cheaper seem to have some kind of compromise either with colouring or responce(or both), 'you pays your money you make your choise'

Way2Go - 2007-05-14 8:20 PMAn example is as follows:-

shot 1: Golfer on the tee - great picture.

shot 2: Ball get hit into sky - picture flickers a lot with the brightness and goes dark.

Shot 3: Ball lands on grass - looks like the inside of a cellar.

Shot 4: Picture of happy golfer - flaring red face and arms, vivid green shirt

Bit off topic Way2Go, but I was watching the Spanish Ladies Open on Spanish TV yesterday.1. Golfer on the tee - shot.2. Cut to a 3 second ad break.3. Break ends, see ball land on fairway.and they do it with long putts as well!!!

Way2Go - 2007-05-14 8:46 PM

Ha Ha Ha . . . . what was the picture like?

Very good. Bit strange really, although we have an outdoor aerial we can't get Spanish 'Freeview' indoors. So I went outside to the MH and watched it in there with an MK directional!!

We bought an Evesham 8" flat screen tv (I presume) in November last year - £85 from Netto - it works a treat - if there is a signal to be had it tunes itself in - can't fault it for the price, can also be used with dvd player, and could be a reversing camera screen too according to the little booklet that came with it. It does us for the amount of tv we watch whilst away.

I have also got a digital/analogue tv usb tv tuner fo the laptop - don't use it so often now we have the little tv, but the picture was always ok if we could find a signal.

Carol

Thanks for that Carol.  We've got a drop-down 7" screen where the rearview mirror would sit which doubles up as a reversing screen for the camera.  Picture ain't great but funnily enough it doesn't suffer from this problem.

derek500 - 2007-05-14 7:52 PM . . . Bit strange really, although we have an outdoor aerial we can't get Spanish 'Freeview' indoors. So I went outside to the MH and watched it in there with an MK directional!!

We ditched Sky+ in favour of Virgin Media 2 weeks before they lost Sky TV so it was nice to watch Sky News again over the weekend on Freeview :-)

Archived