Outside Shower

boobabsca

Hi everybody,

I've just bought my first MH and am after some opinions regarding the positioning of outside showers and outside BBQ gas points. Are they traditionally put in a certain spot and if so why ?

My initial views are to ask for the outside shower to be at the rear of the MH and the gas point to be underneath in line with the rear edge of the awning.

I believe if I’m going to take an outside shower or give my dog an outside shower then I’d want the water to be in a low usage area so as to prevent any mud being walked into the van from puddles. Additionally I would want the BBQ point close to the awning with the option to bring any BBQ gear under in the event of rain, yet not under when in use.

Does this sound logical or am I way off the mark?

Additionally, is there anything connected with this that I need to specify to the installer ie. a particular type of box to keep things clean and secure (metal/plastic, lockable etc…)

MH is a Bessacarr E560 on new Fiat

(Looking to tour Spain for as long as poss)

Many thanks in advance for all views and opinions

Chris

PS. Love the Forum especially the TIPS thread/section, i feel i know half of you already!

:D (lol) *-)

Hi Chris,

Sounds logical to me as you say you wouldn't want a big puddle walked into your camper . I would request it at the back end .

The Gas point also Logical you might need to sit under the awning with the BBQ. The only thing is you could say request a longer lead so if you had it fitted at the back of the camper you could if it starts to rain just shift it under. Sorry cant offer no advice regarding the Lockable bit.

welcome and enjoy your holiday happy travels ;-)

boobabsca - 2007-05-14 7:30 PM

I've just bought my first MH and am after some opinions regarding the positioning of outside showers and outside BBQ gas points. Are they traditionally put in a certain spot and if so why ?

Hi-

on our Rapido 710, an outside shwoer ws standard fitment, but to us it was always going to be in the wrong place, as it was on the awning side, and therefore when the awning/mat was in use, would make it very wet!

We had an exterenal gas point fitted so w e could use the Beaclaire Grill and for sake of ease in fitting I think, as much as anything else, this was on the awning side, almost under the kitchen window. This was Ok, but I did purchase a longer length of gas tubing, (4m from memory) so that it could be used outside of the awning when possible, partly for the fire hazard, and also for the need to reduce as much as possible the smell of the cooking into the awning fabric ittself.

Hi Boobabsca- We use many CCC minimum facility sites, and find that rather than use our onboard shower, with all the cleaning up afterwards that requires, we purchased a small shower unit from Maplins. Basically its a small submersuble water pump placed in our folding bucket and the shower head suckers on to the side of the van. The handy outside 12v connection provides the power, and this can be used anywhere around the van for either privacy or to avoid wet areas near walking areas. chas

Thanks Chas, how much was the shower from maplins? (and how big / heavy for stowage)

Also can you use the submersible pump to refil the water tank from a clean fresh water spring? (what head / liters per min does it give?)

Blimey, so many questions !!! (soz) :$

Hi Chris- It cost the princely sum of £9.99 I am the last of the big spenders, but it was on offer then. It rolls up into a very small bag, supplied. Weighs nowt, have no idea of its flow capacity, but does the job. I would not use it as a drinking water submersuble, because it would have been used in soapy water ect. Get a seperate one if needed they are not expensive. Regards chas

Hi- Chris- I did mean a seperate submersuble pump meant for the job, with a high flow rate, for transfering drinking water to your tank. My van came with one because the designers in their wisdom placed the filler point about 4ft from the ground, designed to put your back out if nothing else. A water quality hose will suit you for 80% of the time. chas

boobabsca - 2007-05-15 7:28 AM

Thanks for that keith, were the outside points in boxes to keep them clean / secure?

The Shower was a factory fit standard, and was all wiothin an enclosed box, with a side hinged flap. This gave access to the taps, and you simply attached the shower-head and hose when required. The gas socket was fitted by the dealers, and was a standard gas socket with a slide-up cover. I think it's a pretty univsersal type, and there was what I would call a bayonet-type fitting for the gas hose. There was also an isolating tap, in-line, and in one of the lower kitchen cupboards.

Hope this is of some help.

Archived