"Which MC" - useful?

Tony Jones

We'll be in the market to change van this year, and finally got that free copy of Which MC several people have mentioned. Trouble is, it was the May edition mostly devoted to their "MH of the Year" awards.

There's a good subscription offer, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be for us.

We're only interested in Hi-Top van conversions, and we'll almost certainly be in the second-hand market.The small ads are nbearly all the same ones we see in MMM, so can any regular readers tell me ...

Does it usually carry more test articles than this "Awards" edition?

Does it do regular 2nd-hand tests?

How much (if any) attention does it pay to van convs, as opposed to coachbuilts?

Thanks

Tony

(PS the "checklist" pages are helpful, but obviously only refer to new models. Still, many of them don't change that much, apart form base vehicle upgrades)

Hi Tony,

I subscribe to both, and do prefer MMM - although that does seem more packed with adverts. I thought the "Awards" edition of Which MC was very disappointing. Took me about 15 minutes cover to cover, skipping the sections I just wasn't interested in.

Next month is the big one for me though as it has a review of the Adria Twin van conversion - which, although too late for me as I have one on order, would be good to see the opinions of the testers (which generally are pretty good).

Maybe when reviewing that, they'll also put in a couple of smaller comparisons of other van conversions.

Regards,

b6x

Tony Jones - 2007-05-15 10:22 AM We'll be in the market to change van this year, and finally got that free copy of Which MC several people have mentioned. Trouble is, it was the May edition mostly devoted to their "MH of the Year" awards. There's a good subscription offer, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be for us. We're only interested in Hi-Top van conversions, and we'll almost certainly be in the second-hand market.The small ads are nbearly all the same ones we see in MMM, so can any regular readers tell me ... Does it usually carry more test articles than this "Awards" edition? Does it do regular 2nd-hand tests? How much (if any) attention does it pay to van convs, as opposed to coachbuilts? Thanks Tony (PS the "checklist" pages are helpful, but obviously only refer to new models. Still, many of them don't change that much, apart form base vehicle upgrades)

Hi Tony,

I stopped subscribing to WMC last year, it's just a diluted version of MMM and the editorial copy is lousy.

I also got the free copy a couple of weeks ago. I must be a slower reader than B6X, it took me 20 minutes cover to cover and then it went into the recycling bin.

A subscription to MMM and all the hints and tips available on this forum is all I need.

Basically....

Don't judge Which MC based on that "awards" edition - it is better than that one normally. It does cover both latest and second hand models.

It's probably worth the 3 quid odd to get another copy to give you a better idea what it is about. It's all been recently re-vamped too, so looks a *little* different.

Regards,

Steve

I used to subscribe to both, but did not renew the one to Which this year, as I felt there was alot of duplication, and as stated earlier the ads are retty much the same in both, just rather more in MMM!

I did buy the last issue (Awards) but was very disappionted with it.......I have a quick look at the covers of all of the motorhome mags when I go into WH Samith (who seem to hold stocks of all of them), and just scan initially to see if there's anything which I particualrly want,or need to know about, and buy if so.

So far, since cancelling the sub several months ago, I have only bought that last issue.

I did notice this morning though that there seems quite a number of group type reviews in the current issue, so if you have a specific interest in what they 'test', then there may be merit in buying that one.

I do have my doubt about the value of many tests (not only in Which) and I guess we have to accept they may well be somewhat subjective in many cases - however, with some, I do wonder if they are actually tesing the same vehicle that I've looked at!

They seem to have revamped it for the latest issue, which was better than usual and much, much better than the 'MH of the Year' one.

More tests than MMM, although MMM does seem to favour panel van conversions of one sort of another (probably because that's what the editor's got).

For my money, Practical Motorhome is currently the best of the bunch with a reasonable balance between tests and travel articles (I really like their Snail Trail series too). At the end of the day, all journalists seem to test vans with their rose-tinted specs on, and it's only in fora like this that the real truth emerges.

mikemoss - 2007-05-15 2:58 PM

At the end of the day, all journalists seem to test vans with their rose-tinted specs on, and it's only in fora like this that the real truth emerges.

Interesting though - whilst MMM print various bits from the Forum, I don't recall ever seeing one which concerns problems, or likes/dislikes with dealers or vehicles.....!! Come to think of it, there doesn't seem many letters published either on these topics!

Of course, we all know why, but it does who the value of these 'independant' (well, realtively so, at the moment!) forums.

mikemoss - 2007-05-15 3:58 PM

For my money, Practical Motorhome is currently the best of the bunch with a reasonable balance between tests and travel articles (I really like their Snail Trail series too). At the end of the day, all journalists seem to test vans with their rose-tinted specs on, and it's only in fora like this that the real truth emerges.

I must disagree, I bought Practical Motorhome when I was in the UK and brought it back, 2 different issues. My husband looked though them and said "don't ever buy that again, there are too many adverts in it". I must agree, its not a patch on MMM. No favouritism, just a better magazine.

Guest Sally Pepper

Interesting comments and feedback about WMC - for which many thanks.

Just to put you all in the picture - WMC has been extensively redesigned with a new look, new articles and features, a bigger four vehicle group test and significantly more used market coverage.

Find out more here:

http://www2.outandaboutlive.co.uk/magazines/issue.asp?issue=112

You'll doubtless make up your own minds, but we would be interested to hear your comments on the new-look magazine - either on these forums or by PM.

Regards

Mark

Hi mark

Well I certainly noticed it and thought the last issue was loads better. To be honest I'd almost reached the point of cancelling until this one came along.

Hope you can maintain the new standard! Still prefer Practical Motorhome to MMM though - far foo many amateurish travelogues in MMM for my liking. Love the Andy Stothert travel articles, photos and - particularly - his motorhome reviews on the few occasions he seems to be let loose in a new machine. At least he tells it like it is!

yes andy is magic. more andy please. cant agree about the practicle rag tho, at least all mmm people are real motorhomers and if you compare they do semm to test em, rather than just look um up and sown on some dodgy fourcourt. only thing that bothers alice about which is that it dont seem to live up to the other which (which we looks at down the library at withy). but othewr than that its okay if you are looking for a new van with all the tests.

fred and alice

Archived