Colour coding in the South?

b6x

Can anyone please recommend any decent body-shop type places within (or near-ish) to Hampshire that could colour code a couple of things for me? Namely front Ducato bumper and Fiamma awning?

Thanks alot,

b6x

hello

if your bumpers are not allready colour coded you may find that if you do have them painted the paint may start chipping, the problem is i believe to do with the plastics, some are not meant to be painted, also, if they have been cleaned with any silicone based product it is a nightmare getting the paint to stick, its worth checking before you spend your money.

i'm sorry i didn't help with your query

mark

B&C Coachworks are just over the Hampshire border in Surrey. They have done lots of dings, dents and scratches and several bigger jobs on our domestic "fleet" of vehicles over the years. We have always found them fair value and reliable and they were happy to give advice when we needed it. We wouldn't go anywhere else. They are insurance approved too. Their number is 01428 653451 or 643119.

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-15 11:06 AM

B&C Coachworks are just over the Hampshire border in Surrey. They have done lots of dings, dents and scratches and several bigger jobs on our domestic "fleet" of vehicles over the years. We have always found them fair value and reliable and they were happy to give advice when we needed it. We wouldn't go anywhere else. They are insurance approved too. Their number is 01428 653451 or 643119.

Bob

Thanks alot, much appreciated. Sounds like a good place to start :-D

mark lambert - 2007-05-15 10:52 AM

hello

if your bumpers are not allready colour coded you may find that if you do have them painted the paint may start chipping, the problem is i believe to do with the plastics, some are not meant to be painted, also, if they have been cleaned with any silicone based product it is a nightmare getting the paint to stick, its worth checking before you spend your money.

i'm sorry i didn't help with your query

mark

Sure. I know this could be an issue, and would assume that there needs to be some sort of priming done first - however looking at other converters such as Timberland and PJB, they seem to manage the get them sprayed and looking good. I can only assume they'll stay that way once purchased.

I have emailed both PJB and Timberland asking if it was something they could do for me (at a cost obviously), but neither even bothered to reply.

I don't know about Fiats, but for the Renault Master van colour matched bumpers are an extra cost factory option, so I assume that Timberland buy their base vehicles with that option.

As Mark says, doing it later is a non-trivial task.

Mel E

====

Whilst colour coding bumpers can look great, my expereince, particularly with the Rapido, tells me I would prefer to have the standard factory finish. I had to do quite a lot of 'touching up', on the Fait front bumper, particularly in the corners where the veticals met the horizontals. It also chipped quite a bit from stones along the front edges. Trouble is, patching in isn't easy, and even for the smallest of chips is a 2-stage operation, and even then I found not very durable..

Guest peter
Keith T - 2007-05-15 4:06 PM

Whilst colour coding bumpers can look great, my expereince, particularly with the Rapido, tells me I would prefer to have the standard factory finish. I had to do quite a lot of 'touching up', on the Fait front bumper, particularly in the corners where the veticals met the horizontals. It also chipped quite a bit from stones along the front edges. Trouble is, patching in isn't easy, and even for the smallest of chips is a 2-stage operation, and even then I found not very durable..

Done properly it's not a problem. After all, all modern cars have plastic bumpers and they are colour coded. In fact I have just this week sprayed the front bumper on my 1987 toyota supra it's metalic red and it looks great. Any body shop could do it for you, it's a piece of cake and shouldn't cost you more than about £100 or so. If it's starting to look a bit ropey go over the bad bits with some aerosol primer (assuming it's white) and it will look o/k until you get it done properly but wash it well first. As an asside you should never aim a high pressure washer at a plastic bumper as it will flex it and crack off the paint.

all i would add is, colour coded bumpers are designed from the outset to be painted, the black/greyish ones are not and are made out of a diferent plastic, one is smooth for paint, the black one is a rougher plastic(not as smooth to the touch), you can paint them, but they will chip much more than the factory painted bumpers. sorry to disagree with you Peter but i have never taken the paint off a factory painted bumper with a jetwash, i have with the painted black/greyish ones. Its best to ask the experts ,me thinks.

Hello Mark,

Spoke to the chap in the local Chips Away Centre about this yesterday and he said almost word for word exactly what you have posted except he said they are the same material but have a smooth finish for those that can be painted. The unpainted plastic has to be prepared with a special primer before applying the finish coat. The rougher finish will not hold the finish coat and can not only chip but can peel as well.

NB: Chips Away do not normally do respray jobs unless attached to a body/spray shop.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived