On handover day...

Rapide561

Hi.

Reading posts on this forum and others, it is clear that faults are often discovered as soon as the new motorhome makes it home.

I think that, typically, the buyer turns up at the dealers, has a coffee and hands over the money. They then get the keys and a tour of the van.

From now on, I shall turn up at the dealers, have a coffee and then look at the van first, going through it with a toothcomb. I am not worried about a loose cupboard handle etc, but principally with major faults. This makes me sound to be starting off on a negative from the outset, but once bitten, twice shy.

If all is well, then I shall hand over the cash. If all is not well, I shall walk away and advise the dealer to contact me when the van is good for the road.

Has anyone actually done a handover in this "reverse" fashion?

Russell

my dealer has actually asked me to do it that way, he said that if possible could i spend a night or 2 at the dealership with the van plugged in/unplugged and use everything before i accept it, and if anything has got past his quality control that i leave the van to be sorted then pick it up a few days later. After spending so much money on a van, new or used, its best to make sure first, even if it means using up a couple of days holiday entitlement,me thinks.

Hi

Did exactly this during handover on our new vehicle.

Like you, once bitten now more than twice shy.

Even got them to put on the sign off sheet, that there was a slight sticking of the central lock mechanism for the kitchen draws. Duly noted by both parties and will be fixed at next service.

However prob now gone as it seems to have eased off with usage.

Never mind it's still on record in case of any questions down the line.

We were also offered a hook up at a near by camp site so we could test everything out.

So far so good - touch wood.

Good luck and happy motoring in your new van

Thai

It's an unfortunate fact though, Russell, that some of the faults (especially some on your van) will only show up after it has been in use so it is vitally important to try the van overnight at the dealership. Even then, I would be prepared for things to materialise in the weeks after.

Regards, David

mark lambert - 2007-05-15 11:02 AM

my dealer has actually asked me to do it that way, he said that if possible could i spend a night or 2 at the dealership with the van plugged in/unplugged and use everything before i accept it, and if anything has got past his quality control that i leave the van to be sorted then pick it up a few days later. After spending so much money on a van, new or used, its best to make sure first, even if it means using up a couple of days holiday entitlement,me thinks.

I am fully expecting something to be wrong at some point in the future, i'm hoping nothing too serious will be wrong, but if it is, i would hope to work through it with the dealer, obviously, up to now the dealer has been very helpfull with all my queries, but he hasn't had his money yet! I will name them when i have the van and shame them if need be, but one hopes not to have to do that. I do know of someone on this forum that have said they are having a nightmare time with the same dealer, concerning an A-class and them not sorting out his problems. will let you know ;-)

You really ought to try and spend the first night at the Dealership if you can. When we changed to our new vehicle, the Leisure battery was duff as the underbed light had been left on and deep-discharged it. The dealers fitted a new battery with no quibbles at all. No other problems with it though. The dealers were Brownhills at Newark!!

I well remember the days when, within a week of taking delivery of a new car, at least one side of A4 would be needed to list the faults for rectification at the first (usually 1,000 mile) service. Thankfully, those days are long gone - all the cars we've bought new over the 10 years or so have gone to their first service (now usually 12,000 miles or more) with only a couple of minor things needing fixing.

The same is now also generally true of the base vehicles on which our motorhomes are built - at least in my experience. But the conversion itself is still a mix of unskilled assembly work, a few glaring design faults and a significant number of bought-in parts (windows, fridge, cookers, chargers, batteries, TVs, radios, satnavs, heaters, water heaters, loos, tanks, pumps, fuse panels, control panels, gas tanks and so on, and so on).

It's usually these bits and the process of connecting them to wires or gas or water pipes that gives rise to the problems. One of the reasons that cars are now so much better is that they've cracked the problem of the quality of bought-in parts and computer-aided design has simplified the assembly job. Because they now arrive 'just in time' rather than in batches, they have to be right. If samples fail the testing regime, the effect on the supplier can be extreme - so they, in turn pass this on to their suppliers and the whole supply chain only makes parts that work to spec for a specified period.

Unfortunately, UK motorhome converters produce too small a volume to have very much influence on suppliers. The big continental groups - Hymer, Trigano and Sea especially, since they manufacture between them over 60% of European motorhomes - do have this level of influence, so can ensure that they get bits that work. That's not to say that continental motorhomes don't have probelms, since clearly they do. Just that they seem to be 'better built' with fewer problems.

As has been said, however, it always makes sense to take time to check out a new vehicle and to reject delivery until you're happy it's ready. It's a bit like a 'snagging list' for a new house, except, you really want the motorhome de-snagged before you drive it away.

If there's an problem that cannot be resolved immediately (eg., for lack of a spare part), then withhold part of the final payment pending rectification. If the dealer refuses this offer, then you may draw your own conclusions . . .

Mel E

====

Carrying on this theme, my Dealer sent me a Questionnaire three months after receiving my van, asking if I was pleased with the vehicle, the purchasing procedure, the handover and the way defects were dealt with. As mine had been a pleasant experience, they must listen to their customers.

Do other Dealers do this ?.

David

b6x - 2007-05-16 6:32 AM Don't suppose anyone has devised a generic "pre-flight" checklist that can be printed off and taken to the dealers on collection day?

Send me a pm, with your e-mail address.  Please say whether you'd prefer MS Excel (+ version), MS Word (+ version) or MS Works.

b6x - 2007-05-16 6:32 AM Don't suppose anyone has devised a generic "pre-flight" checklist that can be printed off and taken to the dealers on collection day?

Include on the checklist - a good look underneath the van.

The first van that I bought, a Starspirit from one of the Marquis dealerships, the spare wheel was missing.

Hopeless handover - even worse PDI.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-16 1:06 PM

Send me a pm, with your e-mail address. Please say whether you'd prefer MS Excel (+ version), MS Word (+ version) or MS Works.

Brian,Superb. Thanks very much for that. Think that'll cover pretty much everything.

phone your dealer on handover day and say us is delaying picking it up for a week to give him time to put the faults right! surprising how this works, especially if its near the end of the month and he therefore wont be getting your cheque til the next callander month.

f

I thought I had problems(new motorhome) with 3week-minus 1day before collection. My concern is if the dealers staff decide that because it is parked there so long, they might decide to use it has a permenent rest room/hotel! By the way how do they check wether a toilet works properly or the shower is ok for hot water. Too much testing and it will be second hand. I sumise it is bit like when they USED to check the railway lines, tap it with a big hammer- if it sounds ok, then it is(in certain trades a SKILLED worker would know) My wife is tucked up in bed asleep,if she new anything about pc,s and read this, she,d die(with me not far behind)

Hi All

We walked into the van had a quick look turned round seen that it had not been cleaned very well and said we are not taking it. The person showing us round ( did not have a clue ) he got straight onto our sales rep he came straight round he contacted the chargehand for the cleaning then he arrived. Had a talk about the way the van was decided to carry on inspection then found a few faults so the shop floor boss was summend then we all had a chat said that i would not sighn for it till it was cleaned and the faults were sorted. They took the van away cleaned it sorted some of the faults then i went to check it over with all the above. Clean enough but not excellent so the cleaner went on his way checked the faults some where okay and some things needed replacing got the photos took of the faults checked the paperwork to make sure then had a think about it decided that they could sort some of them out now but it was 6.30pm and there was just us left so it was decided that they would do it the next day. The manager was still there at this time and he assured us that it would be seen to so after another cup of coffee we decided to pay for it. The next day the van went to the shop got sorted we checked it seemed okay drove round to the overnight area and the diesel alarm was going of empty i persumed so they took it away filled it up about an hour later went to find the rep to see what was happening he went to check with the shop floor manager then came back with the good news petrol gauge broke and there would be nobody in till monday (today was saturday ). So we said that we would stay as i was not going to take it of the premises untill it was fixed and i could also check to make sure every thing else was working. Monday came and the electrician that came to look at the van told me that they had a few that had broken petrol gauges and it was a ten day wait for the part so i said if it is not fixed that i would just leave the van and not return for it i also told my rep this. Some six hours later the van was returned fixed and ready to go. During the weekend i spent waiting for the van to be fixed i found a few other faults and they fixed these are replaced them.

When I was waiting for my MH I seen a lot of other people picking up there new MH and was supprised how many drove of without getting the faults fixed first and these where seasend Motorhomers

I spoke to a lot of dealers before deciding what and where to buy and the promised quality of hand over was a factor I took into account. The van's not ready for collection yet but I will be happy to post my assessment of the process afterwards.

I was impressed by the dealer I eventually chose telling me that being new to M/Hs, I should allow 3 hours for the hand-over, that it will be conducted by a specifically trained and experienced member of staff and that I will be invited - and encouraged - to stay, free of charge, over night or longer if I want on their serviced "aire" to fully explore the systems myself. The hand-over man will be available for questions and clarification the following day.

I hope the actuality lives up to the promise but they seem decent enough and helpful people so far.

Bob

Archived