Maps for Scotland

Don Madge

Later this year we plan to do a tour of Scotland following the coast line from Berwick on Tweed around to Dumfries.

Ideally I would like the OS Landranger series so I can use the OS grid references but there are just too many maps to buy.

I've checked the OS Travel Map Road at 1 inch to 4 miles, there are three that cover Scotland and at just under £15 it might do the job.

We need a map or maps showing minor/unclassified roads as we have to check out some sea view campsites that are in out of the way/remote places.

If anybody has any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Don,

The best maps for your purpose by far are contained in the Phillips Navigator Road Atlas: a new edition has just been published at £19.99.

It is thick and heavy, but extremely clear to read and at a scale of 1.5 miles to 1 inch, it has farm tracks on as well as every minor road and is a joy to use for this sort of trip. Scotland north of Edinburgh/Glasgow and the south of Dumfries are on the slightly larger scale of 3 miles to 1 inch, but, with far fewer roads and tracks, this is not a problem.

We did the same journey up the east coast and down the west - though we went further north to Aberdeen and back via Loch lomond - last October. Take your time on the west coast and do visit each of the peninsulas. Don't forget to stop at 'Electric Brae', south of Girvan - the sign there explains all.

Mel E

====

Mel,

I've got five weeks (between the Malvern & York shows) to check out 42 sea view camp sites in Scotland, the northern most one is at Durness.

If we have enough time we will also include the Outer Hebrides, it looks like a 1700 round trip without the side trip to the Hebrides.

I will have a look for the road atlas you recommend.

Thanks

Don

I second the Phillip's Navigator, best atlas I've had for UK, the only critisism of it would be finding places from index, most of the large pages are divided into 6? squares finding a place name within one of these squares can sometimes be a pain, I think it was an AA atlas I had that used an abreviation of OS numbers to locate places, much easier, must remember to sugest this to Phillip's.

Don Madge - 2007-05-15 2:56 PM

Mel,

I've got five weeks (between the Malvern & York shows) to check out 42 sea view camp sites in Scotland, the northern most one is at Durness.

If we have enough time we will also include the Outer Hebrides, it looks like a 1700 round trip without the side trip to the Hebrides.

I will have a look for the road atlas you recommend.

Thanks

Don

we did the Outer hebrides last year. Sailed from Oban ( a bit rough, the crossing that is not Oban)

Went from Barra right up to the Point of Ness and had a great time, mostly wild camping as there are few sites. Its very different to the Mainland, but was wonderful and well worth a trip. We used a Calmac Hopscotch ticket.

Let me know if you want any info.

Are off to Orkney in acouple of weeks, can't wait.

Jules

Mel E - 2007-05-15 2:03 PM

Don,

The best maps for your purpose by far are contained in the Phillips Navigator Road Atlas: a new edition has just been published at £19.99.

Mel E

====

I bought one this morning, it looks like a dood buy.

Thanks

Don

Don,

I know I'm getting old, but what exactly is a 'dood buy'?

Colin,

The Philips Navigator I have is definitely marked with the OS grid. If you look at the intersection of the blue lines across and down, you'll see the two letter 100Km square designator and the two-digit tens-of-Kms square identity.

True it can be a tad difficult interpolating inside their 10Km squares, but the easy way is to mark a bit of transparent plastic into Km squares with a permanent felt-tip pen to create an overlay.

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-05-18 3:03 PM

Don,

Mel E

====

Mel,

I suppose I'll have the same problem when I get to your age 8-) 8-)

It was a "GOOD" bye sorry buy :-D :-D :-D at £19.99 Twooks

Don

Hope you didn't pay £19.99 Don, they're showing £13.30 on Amazon now!

I have a Philips Professional Driver's Britain and Ireland which is 3 miles per inch with urban areas at 1.5 miles per inch.  The mapping is clear, and presumably similar to the Navigator Atlas.  My criticism of mine is that Philips use the indicated width of the road to depict its status, but not its width.  Narrow roads with passing places are identifiable.  However, all Main Roads are shown as the same width in red (or green if Primary Routes), the Secondaries are all the same (slightly narrower) width in brown, and it is only when one gets down to the Minor Roads that width of carriageway is indicated with those over 4M wide being yellow (and narrower again) and those under being white. 

The problem is, some B roads, so shown consistent width in brown, are not consistently over 4 metres wide.  Not many I agree, but if you route yourself down one, you do get caught out.

So, does the Navigator do better?  For example, how does it show the B6270 from just West of Richmond to Kirkby Stephen, via Muker and Keld?  That's narrow, but not on my atlas!

If they show that realistically, I'll buy one too.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-18 7:30 PM

Hope you didn't pay £19.99 Don, they're showing £13.30 on Amazon now!

For example, how does it show the B6270 from just West of Richmond to Kirkby Stephen, via Muker and Keld?  That's narrow, but not on my atlas!

If they show that realistically, I'll buy one too.

Brian,I did pay £19.99 I like to support my local traders. I'm not a tight fisted old dinosaur like some people I know.It does show the B6270 in brown. I'm very pleased with the atlas.Don

Mel E - 2007-05-18 3:03 PM

Don,

Colin,

The Philips Navigator I have is definitely marked with the OS grid. If you look at the intersection of the blue lines across and down, you'll see the two letter 100Km square designator and the two-digit tens-of-Kms square identity.

True it can be a tad difficult interpolating inside their 10Km squares, but the easy way is to mark a bit of transparent plastic into Km squares with a permanent felt-tip pen to create an overlay.

Mel E

====

Proboly didn't quite explain myself properly(nothing new there then)

Say you are looking for 'Wicken Bonhunt' in Navigator index it will say page 105 C5, I find myself looking around and around square C5, but the name 'Wicken Bonhunt' is printed in square C6, on my old atlas it would say page 105 TL4933(if I've got vert/hoz correct), pinpointing it straight away, if Navigator had similair, say C(3)5(9) or the abriviated OS then it would up it to 100% perfect for me

Don Madge - 2007-05-18 8:14 PM Brian, I did pay £19.99 I like to support my local traders. I'm not a tight fisted old dinosaur like some people I know. It does show the B6270 in brown. I'm very pleased with the atlas. Don

Hello Don.

Well, I'm not sure if the Amazon price included postage, so you may have come out tops anyhow, and it must be nice to have all your local traders stand to attention and salute as you pass! :-)

Re the B6270, yes it's brown (and this is less significant with your van), but does it show how/where it narrows?  In quite a few places, even two cars can't pass unless one reverses!  It's a beautiful road, across wonderful countryside, but it's not really a road to take with a coachbuilt van unless you are just out for an amble.  And even then you'd get in the way quite a bit when it's busy!  That was my point.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-19 12:51 PM
Don Madge - 2007-05-18 8:14 PM Brian, I did pay £19.99 I like to support my local traders. I'm not a tight fisted old dinosaur like some people I know. It does show the B6270 in brown. I'm very pleased with the atlas. Don

Hello Don.

Well, I'm not sure if the Amazon price included postage, so you may have come out tops anyhow, and it must be nice to have all your local traders stand to attention and salute as you pass! :-)

Re the B6270, yes it's brown (and this is less significant with your van), but does it show how/where it narrows?  In quite a few places, even two cars can't pass unless one reverses!  It's a beautiful road, across wonderful countryside, but it's not really a road to take with a coachbuilt van unless you are just out for an amble.  And even then you'd get in the way quite a bit when it's busy!  That was my point.

Brian,The road is shown the same width through out.The map will do the job I need it for very well, I've checked out some remote places and all seems OK.Don

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-19 12:51 PM

[quote

Hello Don.

while I believe in supporting local shops - Amazon 'super saver' ie free postage kicks in at £15.00 B-)

colin - 2007-05-19 9:49 PM

Next trip to Scotland (next year?) I hope to tour between Thurso and Applecross, so I hope you do one of your write ups.

Colin,

We toured the Applecross peninsular a couple of years ago, its not for the faint hearted but well worth the effort.

Durness is well worth a visit and the boat trip out to Cape Wrath, is also a must if the road doesn't get bombed again, Talk about friendly fire.

The road to Cape Wrath goes through the largest bombing range in Europe. It seems it's the only place where they can practise with 1000 lbs bombs.

I don't want to put you off so I'll leave it there.

Don

Archived