Calmac Ferries Charging Policy

Jana

Hello Everyone

I know lots of you will have travelled with Calmac. We have a van that is just over 5 metres long but Calmac charge at 5m and 8 m.

I don't mind paying for 6 metres but in a small campervan which only sleeps 2 it seems a little unfair that we would be charged for 8m which is the same as a huge van which sleeps 6+. Or if you end up paying for 8m can you insist on leaving a gap from the vehicle in front. On some of the Hopscotch type routes the difference in monetary terms is large.

Do Calmac stringently apply the rules or do you think we would get away with only paying for 5, I am interested in other peoples opinions on this.

Hi Jana,

We are in the same position as you we have a LWB Ducato at 5.5 metres and are not happy at their pricing bands.

We used them two years ago and we "Forgot" to mention the extra .5 of a metre. It was well out of season (Late October early November) and the ferries were not very busy. Nobody checked, they just glanced at the ticket.

We plan to go to the Outer Hebrides in early September using a hopscotch ticket, if we tell the truth it will cost us an extra £121, decisions, decisions, I might have a senior moment 8-) 8-) 8-)

Don

All these 'foreign' measurements - we did rods n chains at school - so I hold my hand up to a senior moment a few years ago on Scotland's ferries - the price hike for 0.2 metres say 8 inches - was over £5 per inch. no-one seemed remotely interested - I would guess that unless they have an Inspector doing the rounds, the actual staff won't worry too much - as long as it's not obviously much longer.

Jana, I suspect if you ring you're likely to be told either - 5m = 5m so pay up, or if they do say you're OK - it's probably their last day :D :D :D

B-)

Don so long as you don't have a bike rack hanging of the back end with bikes on you should be ok; anyway whats 19" between friends?

Seriously I have seen them measuring artics but never seen them measure a motorhome.

Docted

Seeems hopeful then, if a lwb Ducato can get away with it, then we can. Just measured our van and since the step is now removed, it is 5.12 m long.

Will have to hope a big van is going on at the same time as us to divert attention.

The only way they can really know is if they have a look up table for all models of van in their LWB, MWB, SWB mode. That only applies to van conversions anyway, coachbuilds are are totally different thing.

Have a good time Jana, see you later

B-)

Archived