Advice for best way to top up with booze and fuel

kevandali

Hi everyone

We are due to arrive in Calais at 10.30 in the morning having got the 7.00 ferry from Dover with sea france.

We plan to top up with booze, food and fuel and then nip down to Houlgate via Honfleur.

My question is, what would be the easiest and quickest way to top up with everything required.

A) Visit the Auchan in Calais then set off

B) Visit the Auchan in Boulogne which is en route

I am not sure how easy it is to get to the Auchan from the ferry and was thinking that maybe it would be quicker to nip down to Boulogne as it may be less busy?

Any ideas/help much appreciated as always

kevandali

Hi Kev- Personaly I would call into Auchan at Calais, for fuel and the rest of the goodies, although both Auchans are very close to the same motorway. Have you checked the Auchan Calais web site, there are usual many discount offers to print off to use in store. Retop up on the way back to the ferry if you have drunk the first lot during your stay. Regards chas (lol)

Just outside of Calais (about 10 minutes) is a supermarket complex called Cite Europe. Not sure if it's on route to your destination, but I find this is a decent place to stock up on wine. The selection is immense.

Prices are generally good in my opinion. A box of wine in tesco for £13 is €8 there. Stocked up on plenty of that when I was there on Monday.

b6x - 2007-05-17 10:20 AM

Just outside of Calais (about 10 minutes) is a supermarket complex called Cite Europe. Not sure if it's on route to your destination, but I find this is a decent place to stock up on wine. The selection is immense.

Prices are generally good in my opinion. A box of wine in tesco for £13 is €8 there. Stocked up on plenty of that when I was there on Monday.

Don't try to get into the Petrol station though its height restricted, we tried last December, couldn't find a way in for the MH. Went to auchan instead.

If you don't mind a supermarche rather than a hyper one, try the Champion at Bois en Ardres. Seldom too busy, large carpark, easy access to fuel and goodish selection of wines. I think it is open on Sunday mornings, 8.30 to 11.30 Also in Ardres itself there is an English owned wine shop, just by the church. Large selection from all prices. His website is http://www.boursot.co.uk/. Only drawback for you is these are not on your direct route, but a major deviation.

Enjoy the wine trail.

Empress

Mickt - 2007-05-17 10:05 AM

I would go for a supermarket on route way past Calais, don,t forget most supermarkets close in the afternoon

Most supermarkets only close for lunch 12 til 2pm and then close at 7 or 7.30 pm. Some supermarkets open Sunday mornings and then close Monday morning but open in the afternoon. A lot of supermarkets close for the Bank Holidays (today is one it is Ascension). The next Bank holiday is Monday 28th May (27th is Pentecost) it may be that not all supermarkets will close on that Monday, it worth checking wherever you are.

When the Supermarkets are closed for lunch or in the evenings they have 24 hr pumps which you can use with a French bank card, but on this Forum some members have stated that in a few petrol stations they are able to use their UK cards in the French machines. All petrol stations, when open, will accept UK credit/debit cards. We have yet to find one that won't.

I would first check this site (just before you leave) to see who's got the cheapest fuel on your route and go there. e.g of all the Auchans in departement 62, Calais is the most expensive.

http://www.zagaz.com/

I'm a bit of a cynic and believe that booze prices will also be cheaper once you're away from the ports and day trippers etc.

Don't bank on getting fuel out of hours! We keep hearing that "next year" the French 24-hr fuel pumps will be converted to take our cards, but so far it's kept being "jam tomorrow," so I'll believe it when I see it.

Otherwise, as you cn see form the above, your options are pretty well limitless.

The only extra advice I'd give in answer to your thread title is, make sure you put them both in the right holes!

Enjoy yourselves, we'll be following you in July.

Tony

We've tried them all and now do the simple thing:

Immediately after leaving the port, you pass the Hoverport on the left. Leave the dual carriageway at the next junction (the one immediately before the A16/A26 autoroute junction.

Go left on the roundabout for a large cheap fuel station (Chevron, I think). Don't be put off by the lorries, there's a separate island for cars/vans, etc. Prices are not quite as low as Auchan, but it's a darned sight easier to get in and out (Auchan Boulogne is easy, however).

Exit the fuel station and at the end of the road turn right. You will be facing Majestic's main Calais brach on the next corner. A superb range of wines at great prices, with excellent selections from most countries - unlike Auchan/ Carrefour, which is 95% French wine.

Avoid Cite l'Europe - motorhome parking is a nightmare.

Mel E

====

MelE,

Never once had a problem parking at City europe .We are usually north bound on the A16 and have always found it easy we usually come off one before the Channel turning and find our space next to all the other M/H's

this is right outside the Court police /station..sorry forgot the name. ;-)

michele - 2007-05-19 7:29 PM

MelE,

Never once had a problem parking at City europe .We are usually north bound on the A16 and have always found it easy we usually come off one before the Channel turning and find our space next to all the other M/H's

this is right outside the Court police /station..sorry forgot the name. ;-)

Same here, going northbound and southbound, just go up the first opening right to the top and the car park outside the Gendarmerie is there. Just don't try to get fuel from Cite Europe they have those dreaded height barriers and it is situated below ground level.

I'm inclined to agree with the previous few posts, parking is no probs for motorhomes at Cite Europe, just follow the 'parking bus' signs and theres plenty of room at the coach park, some motorhomes stay the night here as well.

Going back to the original query, for a truly 'one stop shop' you can't really beat Auchan at Calais. You can go and fill up at the fuel station (Hypermarket fuel is usually the cheapest place to fill up in France) and while you're at the pumps there is also a motorhome service point as well on the far left hand lane by the diesel pump (tip, spend €35 or more on fuel and you will get a €5 voucher off any groceries in the main store as long as you spend more then €70 there) then drive across the road for all your groceries and wine and redeem your €5 voucher. They also have an English website... http://www.auchancalais.com/ were you can normally download money off vouchers, check this before you go.

The Auchan at Boulogne has the same arrangements along with a m/home service point but not sure if they have the same money off deals that the Calais store has.

pete

Guest JudgeMental
we like Decathlon for fishing/camping /sport stuff, there is one at Bolougne - not one at calais yet?

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2007-05-19 9:32 PM

Judge they have Decathlon Here.

yeah but - it ain't d same....

The other nice thing about Auchan at Calais is that Sainsbury's wine & spirit store is also there.

Last time we ewent to Auchan Boulogne (January), the drinks area had shrunk to very small and was quite disappointing.

I admit I haven't tried Cite recently. Last time I tried, all the car parks had height barriers and there was nowhere for higher vehicles. I asked and was basically told to 'b****r off'. So I haven't been back. If it's Carrefour you're after, Auchan tends to be a bit cheaper and, anyway, there are other Carrefours as you travel through France which are much easier to get at.

Mel E

====

If buying Franch wines, which is almost obligatory in France as the poor dears are only just beginning to realise where their real competition lies, it is rewarding to buy locally as you travel.  Nearly all the supermarket chains seem to have arrangements through which they obtain local products, sometimes on promotion, sometimes just on the shelves.  Thus you can buy, try, and then get a few more to take home!  For this, some of the local Intermarches are very good and the wines are often better, and cheaper, than I thought were on offer at Calais, where the wine seemed to have been selected just to appeal to the Brits.  The exception was the Auchan, which had a wine advisor - who bore a strong resemblance to P Y Gerbeau (of Dome fame) - and who pointed me to a few corkers at very good prices.  However, it is so crowded and the exit such a scrummage, that I still prefer the regional supermarket branches, where you can buy really good local wines that you never, or hardly ever, come across here (or even in most of the rest of France!).

Like Brian I prefer to do my shopping as we go. I have found the smaller supermarches often offer cheaper,fuel wine and food than those situated at Calais. Additionally it saves carrying heavy loads around the countryside. Carrefour,as Mel E says have introduced height barriers but not only at Cite Europe but also at Rouen and 2 other sites further south,the names of the towns escape me. I don't know if this is their policy for the future it seems shortsighted to me ! However there are plenty of other cheaper shops !

Archived