Malta

Don Madge

Hi Don- It does seem an interesting site, although on one hand it says its for tents only, only to go on to give fees for caravans and motorhomes ? From what I remember of the island from many years back that part of the island is very windy, fine in summer, but winter may be another thing. The people of Malta are very friendly to us Brits and many speak English, also the road signs used are something else 8-) . A very interesting island to explore I would think. chas

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-19 1:41 PM

One warning: think Italian driving and double it!  Chaos would be a mild description!

Brian,

I was stationed there with the RAF in1959 and they had some very strange "Rules of the Road" one I remember worked very well 8-)

At a cross roads the first one to sound there horn had the right of way 8-) 8-) It usually went something like, "BEEP - BEEP - BANG. :-D

Those were the good old days, I think :-D

Don

We were there three years ago.  It seemed pretty much the same as you remember.  I'm just glad all the driving was by bus drivers! 

Can't imagine where they'd site a campsite.  We travelled for miles around Valetta, and hardly ever seemed to emerge from the built up area.  It seemed a bit of a sad place, somehow, mostly very run down and still bearing the scars of the pasting it took during the war. 

It needs loads of investment, most of its youth leaves seeking job prospects (its OK if you're an ambitious waiter!), and in truth, it doesn't have any proper industry, or a unique product, that seems capable of rescuing it!  Tourism might, but the untidy and uncontrolled sprawl of poorly constructed and badly maintained suburbs don't seem likely to become a major sightseeing venue, and the rest (some of which is superb) would hardly occupy most people for more than a week.

It's very sad, and they're such a nice bunch of people.

Archived