Generator Question

derek500

I thought I'd start a new thread as the 'other' one became a bit of a slanging match!!

As you may have read, I recently bought a cheap 2 stroke 57db generator to power a hairdryer.

It does this fine. However, I need to plug the hairdryer directly into the generator.

I was thinking it would be more convenient to plug the generator into the hook up point on my MH and plug the hairdryer into the 230v socket in the bathroom.

But, no power transfers into the MH.

Does anyone know why this is?

Dave Newell - 2007-05-17 5:21 PM

Might sound daft but is the RCD in the 'van switched on? As you only intend to use the genny occasionaly for the hairdryer it might be easier to buy/make up an extension lead so that the hairdryer can be plugged in(directly) to the genny.

D.

Yes RCD switched on. I've got an extension lead, I was just curious.

michele - 2007-05-17 5:45 PM

Hey good idea that.

I did think of asking, did you think it could be your electrics ? but then what do I know ..But the LCd might be a good start hopefully .

Have you got it at home on the drive with easy access?

Yes I have.

Have you tried sugar in the Petrol tank? It makes the exhaust note sweeter!

(Sorry)

Seriously, has the generator got one pole strapped to earth (some do) and is this pole Neutral as it should be or Live in error? If so you might find the RCD trips when the generator is connected.

Derek,

Have you tried plugging your mains cable into your mains at the house to make sure everything electrical is working? The next step would be to switch everything electrical off and try the hairdryer. Another thing you could try is to plug another appliance into the socket in the bathroom to see if the socket itself is OK. Although using electrical appliances in the bathroom is a no no, can you not try it in another socket somewhere in the van. I am sorry if this seems like trying to teach your Grandmother to suck eggs but its usually the simplest things that go wrong and believe me we have found this on so many occasions.

Clive - 2007-05-17 6:11 PM

Have you tried sugar in the Petrol tank? It makes the exhaust note sweeter!

(Sorry)

Seriously, has the generator got one pole strapped to earth (some do) and is this pole Neutral as it should be or Live in error? If so you might find the RCD trips when the generator is connected.

Thanks Clive, maybe that is the problem. To make it easier to explain I have put a link to Ebay showing a picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Launtop-LT950-Portable-Gas-Generator-950W-SALE_W0QQitemZ180087752669QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46412QQcmdZViewItem (the picture is of a US 120v version, I have 230v)

As you can see the earth wire is attached to the side of the generator and then goes inside to behind the 230v socket.

Now, in the instruction booklet it says to 'earth' generator and shows the green wire going into the ground and not to behind the socket.

Do you think I should attach another earth wire and stick that in the ground?

The 230v socket is of Spanish variety, only 2 pin, and as far as I'm aware there is not a positive and neutral. Perhaps that's the problem?

Randonneur - 2007-05-17 6:17 PM

Derek,

Have you tried plugging your mains cable into your mains at the house to make sure everything electrical is working? The next step would be to switch everything electrical off and try the hairdryer. Another thing you could try is to plug another appliance into the socket in the bathroom to see if the socket itself is OK. Although using electrical appliances in the bathroom is a no no, can you not try it in another socket somewhere in the van. I am sorry if this seems like trying to teach your Grandmother to suck eggs but its usually the simplest things that go wrong and believe me we have found this on so many occasions.

Yes done that, unplug house mains and plug in generator and nothing. In my MH when it's on hook-up a 230v sign lights up. It doesn't.

Dave Newell - 2007-05-17 7:17 PM

Another, perhaps, silly thought, presumably the lead you are using to connect the genny to the van has a plug on one end. Is the fuse in this plug ok?

D.

I'm using the hook-up lead with the blue plug on end and a two pinned un-fused Spanish plug into the generator.

The same lead that works from the house mains.

Right, I've half sorted the problem.

When I plug the hook-up lead into the MH from the house mains, on the control panel a '230v indicator' lights up and if I press the 'check' button the 'battery level' indicator flashes showing it's charging.

When I plug the hook-up lead into the generator, neither the '230v indicator' lights and the 'battery level' indicator doesn't flash.

I assumed therefore that there was no power in the MH. But when I switch on the hairdryer, plugged into a 230v socket in the MH, it works and the '230v indicator' lights up, but the battery lights don't flash. When I turn the hairdryer off the 230v light goes out.

It sounds like the generator just ticks over when off load with insufficient output to keep your MH electrics happy. As soon as you apply a load it wakens up the generator. Would not think this is a problem??

230 volt sockets in shower room - Been to the continent? Common practise in bathrooms as they rely on RCD protection.

derek500 - 2007-05-17 5:42 PM

To make it easier to explain I have put a link to Ebay showing a picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Launtop-LT950-Portable-Gas-Generator-950W-SALE_W0QQitemZ180087752669QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46412QQcmdZViewItem (the picture is of a US 120v version, I have 230v)

Just for interest this generator looks almost identical to the £33 version sold by B&Q, except that it is rated at 91dB. Different colours and outlet plug, but the rest looks the same.

It's pretty noisy. We bought one as an experiment and made a box to quieten it down. Made a huge difference. Planning to get a 60dB generator and make it even quieter.

Just for interest this generator looks almost identical to the £33 version sold by B&Q, except that it is rated at 91dB. Different colours and outlet plug, but the rest looks the same.

It's pretty noisy. We bought one as an experiment and made a box to quieten it down. Made a huge difference. Planning to get a 60dB generator and make it even quieter.

It's a lot quieter than my 96db petrol lawnmower, so I assume the db rating is correct. I've looked on the Launtop.com website and it confirms 57db @ 7m.

I notice in the current CC magazine there's an advert for a Clarke 'Super Quiet' 700w model - 58db @ 7m. £270 though!!

michele - 2007-05-18 7:58 PM

Derek500.

Have you managed to sort your problem out as yet?.

Hi Michele,

Yes thanks, see seven posts above. I assumed, wrongly that if the 230v indicator light didn't come on as it does when I'm on hook-up from the mains, there was no current in the MH.

Derek

derek500 - 2007-05-18 7:45 PM

michele - 2007-05-18 7:58 PM

Derek500.

Have you managed to sort your problem out as yet?.

Hi Michele,

Yes thanks, see seven posts above. I assumed, wrongly that if the 230v indicator light didn't come on as it does when I'm on hook-up from the mains, there was no current in the MH.

Derek

Derek

Do switch off the charger when attached to the generator - non-inverter generators can blow the charger.

SBS

Archived