Generator Question

derek500

SBS - 2007-05-20 10:38 AM

derek500 - 2007-05-18 7:45 PM

michele - 2007-05-18 7:58 PM

Derek500.

Have you managed to sort your problem out as yet?.

Hi Michele,

Yes thanks, see seven posts above. I assumed, wrongly that if the 230v indicator light didn't come on as it does when I'm on hook-up from the mains, there was no current in the MH.

Derek

Derek

Do switch off the charger when attached to the generator - non-inverter generators can blow the charger.

SBS

I don't know how to to do that. I don't even know where the charger is located!! I've had a good look. I think it may be in a boxed area under the dinette table where the fuse box is located.

I think I'll stick with just plugging the hairdryer/straighteners directly into the generator.

Another question. On the generator there is a 12 volt socket and the generator was supplied with a 12 volt plug with leads to crocodile clips. What uses does that have? The manual says DC Output 12v/8.3A "Max chargeable battery capacity 40Ah".

Sorry to be dumb here but why not use a 12volt hairdryer, they are available fromForce 4 Chandlery (and no doubt others) Code Number 160005 see

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1945/groupID/7/categoryID/62/v/7064f99f-29ee-4e05-bc91-95da91436b5f

or is there something special about the one you want to use? My better half has one of these and it is as good as any other hair dryer of the type.

Bas

P.S. Cheaper than a generator and a lot lighter too.

I can confirm that running a non inverter generator will blow the charger, cost me a handfull of pound notes to find that out. I now run an inverter generator when forced and had no further problems, plus I can run my laptop etc etc without any worries

Don

[Do switch off the charger when attached to the generator - non-inverter generators can blow the charger.)

Where did this old wifes tale come from? (Someone selling inverter generators perhaps?)

Nearly all homes are powered from non inverter generators! The National Grid.

My old diesel genny is quite capable of running the MH and several caravans and Ham Radio stations a couple of times a year for a Ham Radio event - and why not?

C.

Basil - 2007-05-20 4:59 PM Sorry to be dumb here but why not use a 12volt hairdryer, they are available fromForce 4 Chandlery (and no doubt others) Code Number 160005 see http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1945/groupID/7/categoryID/62/v/7064f99f-29ee-4e05-bc91-95da91436b5f or is there something special about the one you want to use? My better half has one of these and it is as good as any other hair dryer of the type. Bas P.S. Cheaper than a generator and a lot lighter too.

Cheaper than inverter or generator certainly, and probably lighter than either.  However, a 220V hairdryer runs at around 1,600W, so a bit over 7A.  If the 12V hairdryer has similar power, it'd need around 130A!  It inevitably must have less power, so it'll take rather longer to dry the hair, and may still give the battery a good caning.  On a nice warm day, when the sun and breeze can finish the job, probably fine; but on a cool misty day, I'm rather inclined to think the battery would give up before the hair was fully "quaffed"!

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-21 6:11 PM
Basil - 2007-05-20 4:59 PM Sorry to be dumb here but why not use a 12volt hairdryer, they are available fromForce 4 Chandlery (and no doubt others) Code Number 160005 see http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1945/groupID/7/categoryID/62/v/7064f99f-29ee-4e05-bc91-95da91436b5f or is there something special about the one you want to use? My better half has one of these and it is as good as any other hair dryer of the type. Bas P.S. Cheaper than a generator and a lot lighter too.

Cheaper than inverter or generator certainly, and probably lighter than either.  However, a 220V hairdryer runs at around 1,600W, so a bit over 7A.  If the 12V hairdryer has similar power, it'd need around 130A!  It inevitably must have less power, so it'll take rather longer to dry the hair, and may still give the battery a good caning.  On a nice warm day, when the sun and breeze can finish the job, probably fine; but on a cool misty day, I'm rather inclined to think the battery would give up before the hair was fully "quaffed"!

My thoughts exacty and I've got two of the fairer sex who need the coiffuring. Added to the fact that during the golf tournaments we won't be driving much to recharge the battery, the generator option seemed the most viable.

Have to say they work surprisingly well, as good as the mains types that look similar. They are rated at 180watts by the way, doesn't sound much compared to the mains ones quoted, but the heat output is very good. However not being a hair dryer user I don't know but certainly had no complaints from my two girls.

Bas

Basil - 2007-05-21 5:55 PM Have to say they work surprisingly well, as good as the mains types that lookm similar. They are rated at 180watts by the way but the heat output is very good. Bas

Glad to hear it Basil.  However, it is still drawing around 15 Amps, so go easy!  If Clive is around I'm sure he'll be able to say how long a well charged 80Ah battery can deliver 15 Amps, I only know that the higher the draw (over around 8 Amps I think), the fewer effective Amp hours the battery can deliver.

Archived