Motorhome delivery date

mickann

:'( Hi I am new and not yet an owner of a motorhome,as i was expecting delivery of a new one on the 15th May. This has now been delayed by at least a month,the revised date is 19th June The reason i have from the dealer is that the cab & chassis built by Fiat is in such demand they are a month or more behind with delivery.

Has anyone heard this statement on the road (travels)

:-( sulking mick

You don't say what make of conversion you are waiting for, so it's difficult to comment. Continental manufacturers seem to have an easier time getting hold of chassis. However, Fiat produce a special chassis for motorhomes (though not all converters use it) and this could well be having supplt difficulties.

Delays in delivery of new motorhomes are very common, however . . .

on't even hold your breath for June, though I hope you are lucky.

Mel E

====

I have heard from several sources of delays with both Fiat and Ford chassis. 

It seems Ford were a bit caught out by demand for Transit platform chassis.  A large number of approving reviews, plus keen pricing, seems to have persuaded motorhome builders to switch to their base vehicle. 

However, it seems this transfer to Ford has not dented demand for the Sevel bases, as many folk across Europe delayed ordering motorhomes pending release of the new 2007 base vehicles.  Thus, there has been a surge in demand due to pent up orders, which has also caught out the Sevel plant as it runs up the new production line.  Frustrating!

However, give them the benefit of the doubt, you are far from alone!

mark lambert - 2007-05-19 7:39 AM

my burstner is atleast a month late, on a fiat. delay given is the same reason as yours, new date is about 3 weeks before i go on me hols and there's lots for me to do before its ready for the trip, i'm keeping everything crossed (!) .

Look like i am far from alone waiting for my Chausson

mick&ann - 2007-05-18 11:50 AM

:'( Hi I am new and not yet an owner of a motorhome,as i was expecting delivery of a new one on the 15th May. This has now been delayed by at least a month,the revised date is 19th June The reason i have from the dealer is that the cab & chassis built by Fiat is in such demand they are a month or more behind with delivery.

Hello Mick and Ann,

I know exactly how you feel, our Knaus on Renault Master has gone back 4 to 6 weeks from the original date but I'm told mid-June is looking firm. (Unless this post jinxes it of course!)

We ordered ours in November and there have been a number of posts on delivery delays since then and it looks like we (and you) are not doing too badly.

As a precaution, I have stressed to the dealer I would rather they take their time over the PDI and get it right rather than me having to make a 300 mile round trip to fix anything that's missed.

Meanwhile, as a complete M/H novice, I keep telling myself it'll be worth the wait and keep trawling through this forum for good ideas on what to do with the van when it finally arrives.

Good luck with yours when you get it.

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-19 4:18 PM
mick&ann - 2007-05-18 11:50 AM :'( Hi I am new and not yet an owner of a motorhome,as i was expecting delivery of a new one on the 15th May. This has now been delayed by at least a month,the revised date is 19th June The reason i have from the dealer is that the cab & chassis built by Fiat is in such demand they are a month or more behind with delivery. Has anyone heard this statement on the road (travels) :-( sulking mick
Hello Mick and Ann, I know exactly how you feel, our Knaus on Renault Master has gone back 4 to 6 weeks from the original date but I'm told mid-June is looking firm. (Unless this post jinxes it of course!) We ordered ours in November and there have been a number of posts on delivery delays since then and it looks like we (and you) are not doing too badly. As a precaution, I have stressed to the dealer I would rather they take their time over the PDI and get it right rather than me having to make a 300 mile round trip to fix anything that's missed. Meanwhile, as a complete M/H novice, I keep telling myself it'll be worth the wait and keep trawling through this forum for good ideas on what to do with the van when it finally arrives. Good luck with yours when you get it. Bob

Not that you can really do anything about it, but in Knaus's/Renault's case, this sounds a bit like joining the club.  The Master is basically unchanged from last year, apart from new engines, so neither Renault nor Knaus should be experiencing teething troubles with their respective builds.  I suppose the Fiat/Ford delays may have had a knock on effect, but I'm not sure I'm all that convinced by my own argument!

Don't forget to check the "how to take delivery" posts as well!  Good luck.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-19 4:40 PM
mick&ann - 2007-05-18 11:50 AM :'( Hi I am new and not yet an owner of a motorhome,as i was expecting delivery of a new one on the 15th May. This has now been delayed by at least a month,the revised date is 19th June The reason i have from the dealer is that the cab & chassis built by Fiat is in such demand they are a month or more behind with delivery. Has anyone heard this statement on the road (travels) :-( sulking mick
Hello Mick and Ann, I know exactly how you feel, our Knaus on Renault Master has gone back 4 to 6 weeks from the original date but I'm told mid-June is looking firm. (Unless this post jinxes it of course!) We ordered ours in November and there have been a number of posts on delivery delays since then and it looks like we (and you) are not doing too badly. As a precaution, I have stressed to the dealer I would rather they take their time over the PDI and get it right rather than me having to make a 300 mile round trip to fix anything that's missed. Meanwhile, as a complete M/H novice, I keep telling myself it'll be worth the wait and keep trawling through this forum for good ideas on what to do with the van when it finally arrives. Good luck with yours when you get it. Bob

Not that you can really do anything about it, but in Knaus's/Renault's case, this sounds a bit like joining the club.  The Master is basically unchanged from last year, apart from new engines, so neither Renault nor Knaus should be experiencing teething troubles with their respective builds.  I suppose the Fiat/Ford delays may have had a knock on effect, but I'm not sure I'm all that convinced by my own argument!

Don't forget to check the "how to take delivery" posts as well!  Good luck.

I certainly will Brian, thanks. Er I've also PM'd you with a request.Bob

Mick & Anne,

Chausson/Challenger are part of the huge Trigano Group (despite its Italian sounding name, it's actually French) which produces nearly a quarter of all motorhomes sold in Europe. If they cannot get base chassis, then no-one can. Or, put another way, they're so big that any shortage of chassis is bound to impact them.

At the same time, I suspect some of the problem is caused by the rapid and huge growth in motorhome sales right across Europe and the capacity limits of their own factories.

There are far fewer problems with the van conversions because they are almost all built in relatively small numbers in almost 'cottage industry' conditions. Such companies can't afford to pay idle hands so they switch production to vans they can get hold of.

Mel E

====

Mick & Anne,

I've just read the latest quarterly financial report from Trigano and it makes clear that deliveries were severely disrupted Oct-Dec 2006 because of the switch of base vehicles and that thyey are clearly still catching up with the backlog.

The group sold almost 19,000 motorhomes last year. But to put that into the shade, their Polish factory alone is planned to make 30,000 by 2008.

Mel E

====

Mick & Anne,

I've just read the latest quarterly financial report from Trigano and it makes clear that deliveries were severely disrupted Oct-Dec 2006 because of the switch of base vehicles and that thyey are clearly still catching up with the backlog.

The group sold almost 19,000 motorhomes last year. But to put that into the shade, their Polish factory alone is planned to make 30,000 by 2008.

Mel E

====

We ordered our Burstner Solano T710 (Fiat Based) in November last year. We were quoted May for delivery. Delivery has been held; it should now be in transit from Germany at this moment. I must be one of the lucky ones. :-D :-D :-D

mick&ann - 2007-05-18 11:50 AM

Hello Mick and Ann,

I know exactly how you feel, our Knaus on Renault Master has gone back 4 to 6 weeks from the original date but I'm told mid-June is looking firm. (Unless this post jinxes it of course!)

We ordered ours in November and there have been a number of posts on delivery delays since then and it looks like we (and you) are not doing too badly.

As a precaution, I have stressed to the dealer I would rather they take their time over the PDI and get it right rather than me having to make a 300 mile round trip to fix anything that's missed.

Meanwhile, as a complete M/H novice, I keep telling myself it'll be worth the wait and keep trawling through this forum for good ideas on what to do with the van when it finally arrives.

Good luck with yours when you get it.

Bob

Hi Bob Our Motorhome was ordered at the NEC in October.What with the PDI & extras collection will proberly be around 30th June if we are

lucky.Best of luck with your motorhome Mick&Ann

michele - 2007-05-19 4:58 PM

Notusingmyknaus

Go to France have wonderful time you will find it such a different way of life ;-) Then you can say beenusingmyknaus :D

Hi Michele,

Oui, vous avez raison cherie.

The trip's scheduled for September but I can't book the ferry until the van's on my drive. Your and others' posts make it sound like MH nirvana so I have high hopes.

A bientot.

Bob

Reading posts with sinking feeling. Ordered new Ford Duetto (van conversion by Autosleepers) at NEC February. Agreed price on basis of no px, would sell own privately. Was given May 1 for delivery. Put my own van up for sale in April and called into Marquis Preston a few weeks later, as we were passing, to be told the delivery date was now July. Pointed out I had my own van up for sale but was assured that they would sort something out for me if I should sell it before then. Sold van early May but now they suddenly have nothing available but will try to get someting for me as soon as possible!!

Not happy, don't know if I can depend on them at all. Many phone calls not returned. I have booked and paid for a ferry to Ireland departing mid July.

Col - 2007-05-19 9:37 PM Reading posts with sinking feeling. Ordered new Ford Duetto (van conversion by Autosleepers) at NEC February. Agreed price on basis of no px, would sell own privately. Was given May 1 for delivery. Put my own van up for sale in April and called into Marquis Preston a few weeks later, as we were passing, to be told the delivery date was now July. Pointed out I had my own van up for sale but was assured that they would sort something out for me if I should sell it before then. Sold van early May but now they suddenly have nothing available but will try to get someting for me as soon as possible!! Not happy, don't know if I can depend on them at all. Many phone calls not returned. I have booked and paid for a ferry to Ireland departing mid July.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marquis - some things never change....

Col - 2007-05-19 9:37 PM

Reading posts with sinking feeling. Ordered new Ford Duetto (van conversion by Autosleepers) at NEC February. Agreed price on basis of no px, would sell own privately. Was given May 1 for delivery. Put my own van up for sale in April and called into Marquis Preston a few weeks later, as we were passing, to be told the delivery date was now July. Pointed out I had my own van up for sale but was assured that they would sort something out for me if I should sell it before then. Sold van early May but now they suddenly have nothing available but will try to get someting for me as soon as possible!!

Not happy, don't know if I can depend on them at all. Many phone calls not returned. I have booked and paid for a ferry to Ireland departing mid July.

Col, Sorry to here that you are having problems

would it not be better if you went a saw them face to face ?..

When you say they said they would sort something out do you mean with your new van ? have you paid for it yet?

Hi Michelle,

Their promise was to let me have a demonstrator while I waited for my van. They say that they had to give the demonstrator to someone whose van is in for a replacement window which is taking a long time coming. I am not sure I believe them. I feel like going ip to Preston but it is 50+ miles away.

I have given them £3000 as a deposit but pulling out would not be much good as I would then have to go the back of a different queue. I have thought of ringing Autosleepers direct and asking what the anticipated delivery time is if I was to order one. What also bugs me is I ordered on the second day of the show. Has my order slipped down the list or are there a lot of other people with even longer waits!

Col - 2007-05-19 10:35 PM Hi Michelle, Their promise was to let me have a demonstrator while I waited for my van. They say that they had to give the demonstrator to someone whose van is in for a replacement window which is taking a long time coming. I am not sure I believe them. I feel like going ip to Preston but it is 50+ miles away. I have given them £3000 as a deposit but pulling out would not be much good as I would then have to go the back of a different queue. I have thought of ringing Autosleepers direct and asking what the anticipated delivery time is if I was to order one. What also bugs me is I ordered on the second day of the show. Has my order slipped down the list or are there a lot of other people with even longer waits!

Colin

While I appreciate your position, if Autosleepers can't get chassis from Ford, they can't build on them, can't deliver to Mmarquis, and they can't deliver to you.  If Marquis have had to provide their demonstrator to a customer to whom they have an obligation due to, presumably, warranty work, they are between the devil and the deep blue sea (I.e. you, and their other customer: someone had to be the looser, someone had to go without their van, it has turned out to be you).  In reality, you took several risks: you relied upon a delivery date that could not be secure, you decided to sell your own van, and you booked a ferry on the assumption all your expectations would be met.

It is a shame it hasn't worked out for you, but it is not in truth Marquis', or Autosleeper's, fault: I think the reality is that you didn't really weigh up all the risks before you took them, and you've just been unlucky.  Sorry!

Hi Brian,

Don't you think people have a duty to keep you informed and tell the truth or is it just bad luck and judgement when they don't.

I spoke to the Autosleepers CEO at NEC and he told me that they had a regular supply of Fords on line with a 10 week delivery as long as we went for one of limited colours (which we did). Then the Marquis rep confirmed it was a 10 week delivery schedule which when you consider that they are owned by Autosleepers then they have easy access to such information. How can 10 weeks become at least 20 weeks in a matter of weeks unless we have people being economical with the truth at the point of sale and I don't call that bad luck or judgement.

Archived