Sat dish

oorgiz

Having spent last night without tv because the strong(ish) winds kept moving my cheap FTA maplins sat dish. (the plastic suitcase type). I wonder if a roof mounted auto or crank up type would suffer the same fate when windy, or would it be a better long term buy to go for the dome type. B.t.w. we only tour in the uk so sat footprint shouln't be a problem.

thanks in advance

oorgiz

oorgiz - 2007-05-19 9:34 PM

Having spent last night without tv because the strong(ish) winds kept moving my cheap FTA maplins sat dish. (the plastic suitcase type). I wonder if a roof mounted auto or crank up type would suffer the same fate when windy, or would it be a better long term buy to go for the dome type. B.t.w. we only tour in the uk so sat footprint shouln't be a problem.

thanks in advance

oorgiz

I've got a Maxview Crankup. If it's really windy I take it down. You can hear it knocking through the roof. I think Maxview recommend not using it in above 50mph winds.

I suppose a 'dome' type would be preferable, but for an extra £1000, I don't think it's worth it.

Hi Ororgiz

We've had a self seeking Oyster sat dish on our last 2 vans.

The strongest winds we've experienced is at about 45MPH(old money)

The dish was OK at this speed and stayed operational all the time.

Folds down when we are travelling.

Some of our friends are looking at the dome version, of which they are 2 types.

Either "Gyroscope" - which means you can watch TV on the move or the lesser version which only operates when you're static.

We've watched our sat in deepest south germany- good for me as I can watch the financial pages so to help with my job.

Thai

Hi,

I use an Oyster 85cm roof mounted dish and take it down in anything obove a force 5 (17/25 knotts) even at that speed I'm nervous of damage. It is just not worth the risk of damage to the roof or the dish. If I only stayed in the U.K. or stayed well within the footprint for Astra 2 I would go for the dome type as it is not affected by wind. 45mph winds? No way I'd risk that, that is a full on gale and is the kind of wind when the van is rocked. My travels take me all over Europe and I need the larger dish.

Bill Ord

We have had problems with our Teleco 65 cm manual crankup dish since we bought the van (secondhand) in October last year. We have been looking at semi and fully automatic dishes and have noticed that a couple of the Alden ones have holes around the top edge and it says in the bumf that this is so there is not as much movement when windy. How true this is we don't know.

It has got to the stage with our dish that we are wondering whether there is something wrong with the LNB or the cable supplying the dish and we are going out this afternoon to try a portable Sky minidish (which we use on the house with no problems) on a tripod and we have also borrowed from our motorhoming neighbours a Zehnder Multimo dish. So when we return later we might have an answer. It is driving us both crazy at the moment and arguments galore.

This is an update to my previous post.

Just returned from trying out both dishes. Got good signal strength from the Multimo but no Quality. Adjusted the LNB skew and bingo, got everything on the sky digibox and also on the cheap FTA digibox. Transferred everything over to the Telco dish on the motorhome and put it at the same settings, NOTHING, we found out that our Teleco dish is about 8 to 12 deg out on the elevation and it needs to be pointing more to South than we have had it according to the satnav compass. We got excellent reception on both digiboxes AT LAST. My other half is pleased becaused he won't have to spend £1400+ for an automatic one.

Many thanks to everyone on our previous requests for help on this subject.

Sylvia

Randonneur - 2007-05-20 5:46 PM

Just returned from trying out both dishes. Got good signal strength from the Multimo but no Quality. Adjusted the LNB skew and bingo, got everything on the sky digibox and also on the cheap FTA digibox. Transferred everything over to the Telco dish on the motorhome and put it at the same settings, NOTHING, we found out that our Teleco dish is about 8 to 12 deg out on the elevation and it needs to be pointing more to South than we have had it according to the satnav compass. We got excellent reception on both digiboxes AT LAST. My other half is pleased becaused he won't have to spend £1400+ for an automatic one.

Sylvia

At last a result. Well done.

derek500 - 2007-05-20 5:56 PM

Randonneur - 2007-05-20 5:46 PM

Sylvia

At last a result. Well done.

Derek

Its about time, isn't it, only 7 months.

I have been using a tripod and dish for the past 6 years and find that

(A) it is the cheapest method

(B) It is great in all but the most blustery weather

© I can set it up in 2 to 3 mins without any problems.

I used this system in the south of France and had great results.

Total cost including used Sky box less than £100-00

I can not justify spending £1000-00 plus for a roof mounted self seeker.

May be I am just tight.

G3TRK - 2007-05-20 8:29 PM

I have been using a tripod and dish for the past 6 years and find that

(A) it is the cheapest method

(B) It is great in all but the most blustery weather

© I can set it up in 2 to 3 mins without any problems.

I used this system in the south of France and had great results.

Total cost including used Sky box less than £100-00

I can not justify spending £1000-00 plus for a roof mounted self seeker.

May be I am just tight.

Hi G3TRK,

I am with you on your last but one sentance, (oh all right last two) but I just wish I could do ©!! :'( :'( :'(

Bas

Archived