The Best Maps

Mel E

We all still need printed maps - even if we have a GPS Satnav. It's the only way to be sure the TomTom (or whatever) has produced a sensible route, and enable you to put waypoints in the right places to go the way you want.

As the thread Maps for Scotland shows, the best maps I have ever found are:

- Philips Navigator Britain at 1.5 miles to 1 inch (more miles per inch north of a line from the Clyde to the Forth for detailed detail! It costs £19.99 (£13.30 + P&P from Amazon and a new edition has just been published.

- Philips also do Philips Big Drivers Atlas of Britain at 4 miles to the inch which is thin, light of weight, but has the most beautifully detailed mapping. It is ideal for longer-distance route planning, having a green shaded band along 'picturesque roads' a la Michelin. It's £7.99 but I got my copy of the 2007 version at Peterboro' Show for £2.99.

- Philips also do a book covering France, Begium, Luxembourg which is also very clear. It is better than Michelin in that it shows peages (toll autoroutes) in quite different colouring from free autoroutes.

Michelin does have one advantage in that some of its maps attempt to indicate the width of the road. However, this can be a bit hit & Miss.

Mel E

====

Austria: Osterreich Supertouring by Freytag and Berndt: 1:150,000 scale, spiral bound, nice and clear and gives good representation of relief.  Sub A4 format.  Got mine from Amazon last year.

Germany: AA Big Road Atlas.  This is a re-covered ADAC Atlas at 1:150,000 with regional inserts at 1:100,000 and many city plans at 1:20,000.  Spiral bound.  It's not so clear as the Austrian one, but carries a great deal of detail.  Index of towns very comprehensive, but small font, which can strain the beadies as so many German towns have similar names!  This is A3 format, and a bit of a handful in the navigator's lap.  However, it has proved very good.  Also from Amazon. 

Italy: TCI (Touring Club Italiano) Atlante Stradale d'Italia, in three sections North, Central and South, all at 1:200,000.  Not spiral bound.  Nice and clear with good illustration of relief.  Nice clear index of towns, numerous town plans at 1:80,000.  Sub A3 format.  Useful Autostrada strip maps with named exits and pretty exact replicas of the exit signboards, mileages between and service station locations.  Also from Amazon.

Can't remember the prices of any of these, but surprisingly reasonable with free postage when bought together.

France: Michelin 1:200,000 France Motoring Atlas.  I especially like this because it is updated each year, and you can pretty well risk getting lost and then find yourself again from the map, because the road signs at junctions carry the road numbers and indicate the priorities, and always seem to match the map.  Spiral bound, sub A3 format.  Spotting the toll free stretches is not so easy as on some others, but for travel navigation I still rate it as the best of the bunch.  Available at most bookshops and, I'd guess, Amazon.

Spain and Portugal.  Don't know: but I didn't like the Michelin 1:400,000 Atlas we got in 2005!  Spiral bound and a bit larger than A4 format.  I know the Spanish and Portugese roads were in chaos, with a lot of new roads opening, and a lot of numbers changed, but Michelin weren't at all on the ball.  Treat with caution!

The road Atlas's I've got that I like are

UK- Phillips- Navigator

France- Michelin- Tourist and Motoring at 1/200,000

Italy- AA big road atlas at 1/250,000

I also like the Lascelles-Europe Overland map, covers whole of europe up to Moskow and Turkey on two sides of map at 1/3,750,000 , not very detailed but good for planing a long route in conjuntion with more detailed Atlas's

Don Madge - 2007-05-20 9:32 PM Brian, What about Turkey (?) (?) :-D Don

Dunno Don.  Sorry.  Greece is me next target! 

Have you tried Stanfords website?  Lots of information on various maps etc on there.  I think I saw a bit in MMM recently about a trip to Turkey, did you see that?  The author may have some suggestions if you can get in touch.

Good luck.

Archived