Stolen sat navs.

Stew

Just a little point that was brought to my attention recently, how many people have "Home" entered in their sat navs as a way point. If your vehicle be it car or motorhome is broken into and the sat nav stolen then the theives also now have your home address to be able to plunder, thats if you are away on holiday. In the States to enter the "Home" way point you need a password, I've not seen that requirement over here but I could be wrong. I suppose you could just put your town or village in as a way to get your route home, this would then hopefully foil the villains!!(or the local Police Station) (lol)

Hi Stew- Good point but first priority is not to let it get stolen. Mine is set for my postcode but I suppose that could be worked out by a thief, the only thing is they would not know if there were anyone else living there. chas

My Tom Tom Sat Nav has a 4 digit security code that has to be entered every time it is powered on,OR no home, no Nothing ! So it wouldn't be much use to the thief . now all I have to remember is to switch it off when i leave the van. :D

The best bet is to always take it with you when leaving the vehicle and have your 'HOME' set to somewhere close by.  A local supermarket or pub car park for example.

You could always try to fool the thief with an opening splash screen like this

splash.jpg.36b25cdbf3904f494c1fb24b3f432b87.jpg

Way2Go - 2007-05-21 8:48 AM

The best bet is to always take it with you when leaving the vehicle and have your 'HOME' set to somewhere close by.  A local supermarket or pub car park for example.

We have a Mio 268+, how do we go about putting the splash screen on?

Way2Go - 2007-05-21 7:48 AM

Now, I thought you were going to be really clever, and enter the local nick as "Home"! 

Satnav missing?  Quick call to plod: "Thief should be arriving outside about now"!  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-21 4:04 PM  Now, I thought you were going to be really clever, and enter the local nick as "Home"! 

Satnav missing?  Quick call to plod: "Thief should be arriving outside about now"!  :-)

:-)  :-)  :-)

Randonneur - 2007-05-21 9:35 AM
We have a Mio 268+, how do we go about putting the splash screen on?

I seem to remember the splash file is a 320 x 240 pixels BMP file.  If you want me to make you one send me a PM with what you want on it along with an email address and I'll email it to you. 

Basil - 2007-05-21 10:07 AM Hey I like that one Way 2 go, how do you put that on to a PDA? Bas

I seem to remember the splash file is a 320 x 240 pixels BMP file. When you've created one save it into the root of your SD card (I'd be inclined to rename the original Splash.BMP file in case you ever wanted to go back to it).

If you want me to make you one send me a PM with what you want on it along with an email address and I'll email it to you. 

Archived