Aire suggestion please?

Ralph

I'm looking for an Aire within 3 hours drive from Calais, heading west.

I'd like to get to St Valery en Caux (one of my favourites) but as I arrive ay 13.30 CET I reckon it will be too late to get there before it gets full.

Any other suggetions?

I regularly use Le Touquet as a stopover after the ferry but if you would like to go a little further, then there is a large Aire at St Valery Sur Somme which would take you probably 1 1/2 hours from Calais dependant upon your driving style, stops etc.

You will almost certainly have to pay at this Aire but St Valery Sur Somme is a lovely place (except in high season) and well worth a short stay.

Nobby

Ralph - 2007-05-21 3:32 PM

I'm looking for an Aire within 3 hours drive from Calais, heading west.

I'd like to get to St Valery en Caux (one of my favourites) but as I arrive ay 13.30 CET I reckon it will be too late to get there before it gets full.

Any other suggetions?

Ralph,

Have a look at http://www.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/2071?z=9

Montville. It's just off Junc 1 of the A151 just north of Rouen about 130 from Calais

Don

Ralph,

Like the other chap we use Le Touquet but there is one at Abbeville.

We have used this one before . Although it would be classed as an Aire de Service I think. It also has plenty of Parking space nicely sectioned off for M/H cars are seperate ..anyway we have stayed there no problems.

Might Help.

With apologies to HYMER584, whose text I copied wholes sale out another thread :$

+++++++++++

We use a site which is only about 10 minutes drive from the Tunnel, it is fantastic and has superb views across to England (in good weather!) Details are:

Camping les Erables

17 Rue du Chateau d'Eau

62179 Escalles

From the Tunnel make for the A16, come off at junction 40, go through Peuplingues and head for Escalles, site is signposted by means of a motorhome sign. You need to turn left at the top of the hill off the main road. It has a very good shower/toiletblock, m/h service point and last year we paid 10 Euros for 1 night without electric. The pitches are HUGE!

PS when travelling out of Peuplingues there is another site on your left, ignore this and carry on up the hill to the other one.

+++++++++

We used the site a few days ago and it is as described. I would add thay have the warmest showers I have experencied in a French campsite. Listed on the web or CC Europe 1 book.

http://www.eurocampings.fr/fr/europe/france/nord-pas-de-calais/pas-de-calais/camping-les-erables-113093/

Rgds

• 1 month later...

Beware of the service area at Bay de Somme, we and several others had our vehicles broken into here, apparently it is notorious for break ins.

We now head further along to the Aire de Service at Honfleur, this is a very big site which can accomodate over 100 vehicles. Site is regularly patrolled by the local police so is very safe, cost is 7euro per night, it is 170 miles from Calais.

we,ve used the baye de Somme 10 times with no problems,sept/oct, all the people we met were regular users i,m not saying there are not problems but we have not had any,we do have a mutt with us who wakes at a pin dropping alan

Hi Ralph,

As well as has already been mentioned there are many good camping-car specific aires down this coast.

Berck plage, free, loads of places to park, next to the beach near the lighthouse.

Le Crotoy, on the actual Baie de Somme, parking by the dunes 10 minutes walk from Le Crotoy.

Le Treport, purpose built aire, all hardstanding and inc electrics, a few minutes walk from the seafront.

Dieppe, don't discount this one, on the outskirts of the town near the ferry terminal. Dieppe is not just a place to catch the ferry and is a lovelly town in itself and well worth a visit.

pete

I'd second the Honfleur Aire. Very large and a 10-minute stroll into town. If the main aire is full, then the 'short-stay' (daytime) one adjacent was being used overnight as well - still paid for an overnight ticket though out of courtesy, and ensured we left early the next morning so as not to stop those just visiting for a few hours.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I did decide to go to Honfleur and at the end of May it wasn't too busy and I was able to get electricity. You need a long lead and you'll be lucky to get 230V when it's in full use. My fridge wouldn't work on it.

I also used it again this week on the way back and I've never seen it so full! They were using the short stay park for overflow.

I also got my dog "done" for the return journey there. There is a vets just across the road from the aire. I was able to book for next day but they do also take casual drop ins. For anyone intersted it cost me 37 Euros with providing my own Frontline.

Eagleyes - 2007-06-29 10:38 AM

Folks,

Regular users of Aires de Service may like to take advantage of this special offer for OAL readers.

Follow the links and quote 'outlive', when ordering.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/newsItem.asp?c=1&cate=__592

Happy camping

Mark

Mark,

There was an earlier post on another thread with details of discounts but it seems to have disappeared 8-) 8-) 8-)

I wonder what happened to it (?) Just curious of course :-D :-D

Don

Dear All The Aires Customers,

We have had regular contact with our printer and just spoke with them this morning. The covers and pages are printed with folding well under way. We expect to receive them on Tuesday 3rd July as planned.

Best regards

Chris Doree

Vicarious Books LLP

www.vicariousbooks.co.uk

Tel: 0131 208 3333

Just picked up this email so all is looking good

Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.9

;-) ;-)

On this recent holiday I used the standard French aires book from Camping Car magazine and the satnav POIs downloaded from Camping Car Infos.

One problem I found with the aires book, is that it does what is says on the tin (or the cover to be precise) and gives locations of aires de service. We don't neccesarily need a service (my van will last 6 days between water fills) but we want aires de stationment, or parking. The book doesn't have those. This is where the satnav POIs came in but they were not always accurate as many aires just close...

I decided that for the next trip I will probably buy the CC Infos DVD. This is updated monthly so should (?) be better than any book.

What do others use?

Not an aire but a lovely wee municipal campsite at Pont de L'Arche just south-east of Rouen. On the banks of the Seine/Eure. Roughly 9 euros per night which included 75c for dogs. Elec around 2euro. V. helpful concierge. Vet close by, very pretty little town, local shops in town and big supermarket short drive away.

Archived