Mould on fly screen

rooster63

Unfortunately on checking over the van today I have noticed that the mesh fly screen on the roof light has got mould on it. Any advice on how to remove it without damaging the blind? I have tried a soft brush attached to a hand held vac. If any treatment requires us of liquid I assume I could dry the blind with a hair dryer to stop the mould coming back.

I have looked at a couple of YouTube videos which suggests putting some cardboard behind the blind so it can be gently scrubbed with something to push on but not sure if that is feasible with a roof blind as big gap between screen and roof light. A dilute solution of bleach was used so I will have to careful of drips..

I think your 2013 Timberland Destiny's rooflight is a Remis "Remistar" model with electric operation. Although, in principle, a relatively inexpensive replacement flyscreen kit is available, I'm doubtful that this can actually be supplied nowadays and removing the interior part of the rooflight so that the flyscreen's mesh can be accessed more easily for cleaning will be best avoided.

This caravantalk thread discussed removing mould from flyscreens and the later (2021) postings may be helpful

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/113131-mould-on-flyscreens/

Lakeland still markets the "Blitz That Mould" product (in gel or brush-on), but you might try the white vinegar approach first as that should be less aggressive than bleach.

(It should be practicable to fully open the rooflight, draw the flyscreen across and address the mould from above the flyscreen while somebody held a piece of plastic (or stiff card) against the mesh from below. This, of course, would be a two-person exercise with health-and-safety implications.)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to sorting out the fly screen, wanted to wait for slightly warmer/dryer weather. Had a go at removing the inner part of the roof light. Easy enough to remove the 2 screws on each side but something was stopping the front edge dropping down, couldn’t work out how to release the front edge. There as a small circular plastic cover which may have been concealing one last screw but I couldn’t prise it off so decided not to risk breaking something. Tried gently rubbing with diluted bleach but no effect so resorted to a mould removing spray which I squirted onto a cloth and rubbed gently. Left for 30 mins then repeated 2 more times, then rinsed with clean water. I would say 95% of the mould is gone and screen is looking good. Just hope that the chemicals in the spray hasn’t weakened the screen.

• 6 months later...

Just hope that the chemicals in the spray hasn’t weakened the screen.

What is the condition of your screen now after six months. I have a similar problem small patches of mould and dust. Any advise would be appreciated.

Archived