Fiamma vs Omnistor

b6x

I need to buy an awning for a silver Ducato van conversion. My options are (from what I can tell) a F65 Titanium or a Omnistor 6002.

My "would be nice to haves" are basically a drill-free installation and a factory supplied colour as close to the Fiat silver as possible.

I realise I can get the awning resprayed, but would prefer to get it straight out of the factory.

So, Fiamma or Omnistor? Are they pretty much as good as each other?

Thanks

b6x - 2007-05-22 6:07 PMI need to buy an awning for a silver Ducato van conversion. My options are (from what I can tell) a F65 Titanium or a Omnistor 6002.

My "would be nice to haves" are basically a drill-free installation and a factory supplied colour as close to the Fiat silver as possible.

I realise I can get the awning resprayed, but would prefer to get it straight out of the factory.

So, Fiamma or Omnistor? Are they pretty much as good as each other?

Thanks

IMO Omnistor have the edge on quality, having had three bike racks, one back box and four roller blinds in the last 24 years.Having recently looked at safari rooms and such like Omnistor are way ahead on quality.In the early days Fiamma were just a cheap copy of Omnistor but I think they have improved somewhat since those days.Don

But! Our Fiama has been faultless and its comming up 10 years old now. I would put them side by side. Don has seen some of the abuse we have given it.

I cannot see you getting a drill free instalation though - unless you clamp it to a roof rack bars.

Its usefull when fitting a roll out awning if you can seal the joint between it and the van to stop rain running down the gap.

We have had two Omnistors now-excellent quality. My Father in law has a fiamma and the legs on it keep siezing- maintenance required. Not so on the Omnistor! I have just fitted an Omnistor 6000 to my Dad's Renault Trafic Holdsworth-a very easy process and again, a quality piece of kit! Regarding fitting, speak to the Omnistor agents-they were very helpful with fitting this one and they have both vehicle-specific and universal fitting kits. Good luck.

I would like to make several observations.

We have just changed our motorhome and consequently our 20 yr old Fiamma for an Omnistor 5002 (due to short length needed). We have always been very pleased with our Fiamma.

1. We were unfortunate to have an accident with the Fiamma some 7 yrs ago and it was badly damaged. We were able to DIY repair it for approx £15 by obtaining replacements for the broken parts from Fiamma, and a drink to the panel beaters.

2. We do not use a safari room or attached awning, but have made use of the SunBlocker (a see through mesh) which is good when there are youngsters which have to be kept under surveillance. This has pointed up a difference between our old Fiamma and the Omnistor, in that the track for the blocker is external to the legs on the Fiamma and pegs out to a nice slope, giving lounging room. Our new Omnistor has the track inside the legs (stores nice and clean inside casing) but this means that the blocker will have to be shortened by nearly a foot at each end in order for it to be pegged out as previously.

I have not examined a modern Fiamma, having only just discovered this difference, but it may effect your choice of manufacturer.

We have the anodised aluminium Omnistor on VW silver reflex paint, it looks smart, and small knocks on trees will not remove any paint.

tis odd i knows, but us as a omnister one side and a fiammer tother, i woolnt say any one side has more use than the tother, but they is both goin really strong. must say they aint matchin colours, but who would know as you cant see both at once. alice wonts the new proster awning with built in lectrics and lights. reckons would show up our old van luvvely. probably show us all up is the quondry.

all the best fred

Hi b6x,

Ours is Fiamma and was chosen by us over the Omnistor, I don't believe there is a lot to choose in quality but there is quite difference in price, Fiamma being the better value for money (or cheaper if you prefer).

Never had any problems with legs sticking but did have the awning not wanting to close the last two inches on one end, this was easily remided by adjusting the shock absorbers as shown in the maintenance manual as the tension arm had slightly dropped causing the closeure panel to catch on the box section, no further problem since.

The Omnistor has a much more complicated shutting up machanism which may or may not be a better seal, however freinds who have one on their van have had continual problems with grit and dirt causing this to jam both on opening and closing neccessitating a clean and silicone spray lube on a regular basis. I do prefer the Omnistors catches for the legs as it makes one handed operation easier but in practice you use both hands anyway.

However I prefer the Fiamma's winding mechanism as there is less chance of the winding handle coming out of the winder and jabbing the side of the van (I've seen this happen on an Omnistor on more than one occasion), the Fiamma hooks on and you tend to pull down on it naturally with gravity, the Omnistor you have to sort of plug it in and maintain an upward or winding pressure to maintain its position.

The main reason we chose the Fiamma over the Omnistor was that as they was little to choose between them we decided that the Omnistor would have to outlast two nearly three Fiamma's to make the same cost so was better VFM in our opinion though others will disagree and rightly so that they have their opinion.

Bas

Archived