bad vibrations

pete h

bad vibrations  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I own a 1993 Talbot Express 2.5D. Can anyone help me. I am experiencing a severe shaking of the stearing wheel and gear stick at around 50 mph on acceleration both on the flat and when climbing hills. This stops when i take the power off or put into neutral. I have changed the rear engine mount to no avail. Many thanks Pete H

Wheels out of balance? Or:-

1 Inspect Wheel Bearing - Front Worn or improperly lubricated wheel bearing.

2 Inspect Wheel Bearing - Rear Worn or improperly lubricated wheel bearing.

4 Inspect Ball Joint - Lower Worn or damaged lower ball joints

5 Inspect Ball Joint - Upper Worn or damaged upper ball joints.

6 Inspect Tie Rod End Loose, worn or incorrectly adjusted tie rod end(s).

I would say the most likely cause is a worn out CV joint, probably on the drivers side. I've seen this fault before. Check for any rotary play in the CV joints by trying to turn them by hand (out of gear of course) with the wheels on the ground, if there is any discernible play then the joint is basically US.

D.

One test for worn CV joints used to be to drive the vehicle gently backwards and forwards on full lock, and then again on full reverse lock.  If you hear a clicking noise while the vehicle is moving it points to worn CVJs.  If you get giddy, you're going too fast!

You just need a fairly quiet, level, empty car park.

I'm sure Dave will know if this test still works, or whether the joints have been redesigned so that it is no longer valid?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived