Is this misleading?

Wildy

In last weeks Out and About Live was an 'advert' from That Leisure Shop in which was a statement saying  "10% off Avtex..." as in the below screeenshot.  However, if one then visits their website, signs up in order to receive the 10% and then places an order.  They are then told that the 'discount' does not apply. 

So, is this misleading

That Leisure Shop ad.jpg

Hello Wildy, I am reaching out personally as the marketing director from That Leisure Shop.

Our team is always available for you to reach out directly and solve any issues. Our phone number is written on our homepage, contact page and at the checkout and our team are more than happy to chat.

There seems to be some confusion with the discounts you mention. The 10% off email refers to our current January sale, which you can see on the homepage. This 10% is already applied to the product for everyone and there is no need to sign up to receive it.

The "sign up" offer that you mention is for £10 off when you spend £100 and is available to first time purchasers. This discount code, however, is not valid on sale items as the sale items are already discounted.

This stipulation is clearly stated at the bottom of the pop up: "*First-time purchase only. Discount codes are one use per customer and cannot be combined with any other sales, offers or promotions." I have attached a screenshot of this too.

I hope this helps to clear up the matter. Our 10% off Avtex offer is still live and available online https://www.thatleisureshop.com/product-brand/avtex/

Kind regards,
Maddie

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 09.39.14.png

22 hours ago, Dave S said:

Have you tried contacting them to ask about this?

Yes Dave S,

I did and received nothing that inspired me to endeavour to purchase the TV from them.

In fact, i've found one elsewhere - and it was less than their price! 😊

To answer the original question “Is this misleading” and taking into account the reply from Maddie, I would say it is somewhat misleading to advertise a 10% discount but publish the price with the discount already added. Much clearer to prospective purchasers if the usual price is shown along with the discounted price so there is no ambiguity.

david 

Hi Sydney1, we do individually price check our items and always aim to match. As with all business, we are subject to fluctuations, so understandably this cannot always be the case with every product we offer.

I am sad to hear you call us a “me too” shop. We have been in the travel industry with other services for many years and have always wanted to add motorhome, caravan and camping essentials to our customer offering. 

We are an independent and family-run business, with real people that work very hard to provide fantastic and even award-winning service. You can see each of them on the "our story" page on our website. We may not always get everything right (who can say they do!) but we will always welcome feedback, listen to your thoughts and do whatever we can to set it right.

58 minutes ago, david lloyd said:

To answer the original question “Is this misleading” and taking into account the reply from Maddie, I would say it is somewhat misleading to advertise a 10% discount but publish the price with the discount already added. Much clearer to prospective purchasers if the usual price is shown along with the discounted price so there is no ambiguity.

david 

Just to add in response to David, our RRP and sale price are both shown on each product and can be seen at the same time. Sorry I didn’t make that clear in my first message.

Kind regards,
Maddie

Archived