Slopping parking

Wingpete

When arrving on ground that obviously has a bit of a slope, is it best to park with front of 'van uphill or down, when using them plastic chocky wedge thingies.

Just found out that, after parking on such ground and levelling the outfit, overnight heavy rain made ground soft, so front end dug itself, or at least the wedge, into the soft ground, upsetting the level again.

Wingpete - 2007-05-26 8:07 AM

When arrving on ground that obviously has a bit of a slope, is it best to park with front of 'van uphill or down, when using them plastic chocky wedge thingies.

Just found out that, after parking on such ground and levelling the outfit, overnight heavy rain made ground soft, so front end dug itself, or at least the wedge, into the soft ground, upsetting the level again.

Pete,

If the ground is soft and it looks like there could be a sinking situation we put the trak mats under the blocks and the other trak mats under the other two wheels.

We have some very firm trak mats not the flimsy yellow things on sale in the accessory shops.

Don

First point: if you can, park across the slope, not up/down it.  Two reasons: 1) vans are much easier to level laterally than longitudinally, and 2) If the ground does become slippery it is generally easier to get rolling along a slope than up it.

Second point: if you can't park across the slope, try to park with the van upslope from the hard surface, so that you can roll downhill onto it to exit.  If it looks as though it may be tricky, park with the driving wheels nearest the hard surface.

Third point: if you have to park downslope, always keep the driving wheels as close to the hard as possible, and position the ramps so that you can drive straight off them and onto the hard, and then go back to get them!  That way, you'll have gained a bit of momentum before all four wheels are on the soft - and the ramps will give you a tiny boost as you roll off them.

Final point, if the weather is bad and the ground already soft, park on the hard, or find another spot!

Its always wise to park across a slope if possible for fear of the handbrake giving way and rolling down into other campers or vehicles. I also park in gear. The very best solution is dont park up on suspect ground, its just not worth it. Try not to get that sinking feeling (lol) chas

I always keep a couple of planks of wood (about 24"x8", 1" thick, I guess) and apart from giving a slight levelling effect, put them under the front wheels whenever on anything other than a hard standing surface. It's quite amazing even when you think the ground is hard, how much settlement there is.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-26 10:46 AM

vans are much easier to level laterally than longitudinally,

wow Brian I'm impressed need a cup of coffee to get my head round that, hadn't realised I was doing something that complicated and technical aren't I clever after all :-S :-S :-> B-)

Thanks for the advice Guys.

Should mention that the French vineyard site was on firm ground when arriving. Slopes were in all directions, so had some juggling to do to get with reasonable range of chock heights.

I levelled by driving up onto chocks, now appreciate that reversing would be better, as rolling off them would ensure not getting stuck in mud.

There was no way of telling how soft the ground would become after heavy rainfall, which was persisting

:-S all night and most of next day.

As had no need to move unit, given 2 days of sunshine, all was well for time to vacate.

twooks - 2007-05-26 1:42 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-05-26 10:46 AM

vans are much easier to level laterally than longitudinally,

wow Brian I'm impressed need a cup of coffee to get my head round that, hadn't realised I was doing something that complicated and technical aren't I clever after all :-S :-S :-> B-)

Well, it may be obvious to you that lateral levelling is easier, but it seemed from Pete's query that it may not have occurred to him, hence my comment.  This was a response to Pete's query after all. 

There was no suggestion as to what you, personally may, or may not, already know.  Under the circumstances, I do find your rather sarcastic "put down" rather difficult to understand.

Have to take the view into consideration too. No point looking at a hedge if the view is where there is no windows.

Sorry sight in the Isle of Skye recently. Motorhome comes in - Up goes sat dish - right left - left right -right left - up -down - running back and forth - for over an hour-shouting going on all the time. Then windscreen blinds go up. All that when there is a fab view of the Cullin Hills.

Like Michelle remarked - each to their own

:$ sorry Brian, not meant to be sarky, always impressed by your posts - well thought out, articulate, erudite and helpful.

Any sarcasm was directed at me, just impressed that I could park 'longitudinally', [usually because we've a van conversion and it gives us a chance to make best use of sliding door] but have noticed that it can be easier to drive on and off.

Would never have thought to describe it that way.

B-)

twooks - 2007-05-27 11:23 PM 'tis only English, more than 2 syllables tho - but mainly just hadn't thought of it being used that way, besides I'm still trying to work out 'SOTBO' :-S B-)

Sorry.  Statement Of The Bleedin' Obvious.  Can't help with the syllables, if it fits, I use it!

Sorry to labour a point that appears to have been taken as accepted wisdom Brian but why are 'vans easy to level laterally than longitudinally? The old brain works more slowly after 6 years of retirement, but the conclusion I have come to is that the wheel base is generally longer than the axle width and so a chock will have a greater "corrective" potential across that shorter distance. Is that it?

As far as the original question was concerned both of the 'vans I have owned have had a floor which has tended to slope towards the cab. In other words if I parked the van on a perfectly flat pitch it would, as my wife would often remark "feel like I'm running down the aisle of a bus". Because of that I have always looked for pitches with a slight up slope to compensate. Moreover if I park on the down slope the chocks are not high enough to correct for both the slope of the ground and the inbuilt slope of the van.

Vernon B

Archived