Renewing passport

rooster63

Having read all the stories about people missing their holidays because of delays in processing passport renewals we decided to renew our passport at the beginning of January. My wife and I used a photo booth where you get a code to submit with your application. I made my application first and had to send my old passport off to Bootle. My wife made her application second, hers had to go to Hemel Hempstead. My new passport took 5 days to arrive, my wife’s took 10 days.

Might be a bit slower now as there will be a rush before the price goes up soon.

2 minutes ago, stevec176 said:

Be aware that if you renew your passport early the time between issue and expiry must not be more than 10 years. It used to be policy that if you renewed early the remaining period was added to the 10 years, that no longer accepted in most countries now.

that no longer applies, I applied 3 months early, the new passport is dated from the issue date  5/1/23 and ends on the same date in 10 years 5/1/33

45 minutes ago, stevec176 said:

Depends on the country you intend to visit. If you're going to Spain it must not be valid for longer than 10 years, 

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#:~:text=Passport validity&text=Your passport must be%3A,check the 'expiry date

think you misunderstood my post..  irrespective of expiry date of old passport  (in my case April 23) they don't issue a new passport that is valid for more than 10 years ,,  my new passport is 5/1/23 - 5/1/33 

Current gov.uk advice reads as follows:

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

Passport validity

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

- issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)

- valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You must check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

Contact the embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

Archived