Bogus Spanish Police

enodreven

Hi,

I wish I had the number thats is been disscussed in the other thread when we were passing Barcelona, NOT that i would have been able to use it at the time it happened but perhaps when i had calmed down it would have helped.

We had been for warned about people posing as police and we were for warned what you should do e.g. get the camera out and take a picture of them and then pick up the phone and make to call someone and then hopefully they will drive off?. We had rehearsed this for our trip around Madrid earlier on our journey we had then rehearsed it again as we passed Valencia but they all passed without incident until we were heading from Sitges back up into France.

It was a Sunday morning and we decided that we had better call into a supermarket before we got to France as we all know France shuts on Sundays. We were approximately 20km outside of Barcelona and we saw a Carrefour supermarket, so we decided to take the next junction and get our supplies we had to double back through what looked like a nice area and just as we were approaching the main car park a white car pulled alongside and the guy lent out of the window with what appeared to be a warrant card and showed it to Barb and said police pull over, we couldn't stop just at that point so they went in front and went around a small roundabout and straight across it was alongside of some offices not a rough area quite nice in fact??? however i didn't feel comfortable and i said to Barb this doesnt seem right ?? albeit at that time i really didn't know why?? anyway i decided not to follow them and rather than go straight across the roundabout as they had I turned left 3rd exit and as i was doing so he had got out of the car and i just pointed the way i was going and drove on Barb said lets leave the shopping so we just headed back towards the Motorway, By the way this was a very busy area there where lines of cars waiting to get into the several car parks around the shopping mail so it wasn't a secluded place, anyway we got into a line of traffic that was heading out of the shopping area heading towards the motorway when we eventually made it into the main road that crossed over the motorway this white car came speeding along on our outside and he slowed down to try and speak to Barb telling her to pull over this is in a line of moving traffic both in front and behind me I decided that i wasn't going to stop so i continued along but slowing down keeping him on my outside until the very last minute that i could turn onto the slip road down to the motorway making sure he wouldn't be able to make it as i turned down he came to a screeching halt with his hooted blowing but I just continued onto the motorway and headed as quickly as i could up into France, and all i can say no matter what people say about Bessacarr's i can tell you even at 4000kg i can still overtake a lot of cars when I needed to

As we continued we were waiting for the Police sirens and road blocks but nothing came,

I hope this may help people to be aware however I can tell you I don't scare easily but that did scare me and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy ?

Sounds pretty horrendous. But that bit of Spain is now famous for attacks on in-transit motorhomes.

Have you reported it? If they were genuine police, they would have taken your number and reported you back at base for failure to stop so there should be a record. If no record, then that almost certainly confirms your suspicions. Your description of where it happened will also help Spanish Police to do something about it.

Mel E

====

Hi,

I was thinking of doing that but as I said we really were taken by suprise and just wern't able to get it together quickly enough, While as i say we had rehersed what we were going to do when it actually happened the only thing we were concerned about was our safety, as for the possiblilty of reporting latter really didn't come into our minds ?? also nor did the camara or phone they just didn't come into it, it was just lets get the hell out of hear, and once we were on the motorway we just tried to calm down and hoped if they were real police then even if we were met by a road block at least it would be maned by uniformed officers ??

I didn't take any details for the reason above ?? albeit i was going to write to the Spainish embassy hear and ask them for guidance on what they are doing about this type of incident and also if there police officers who would be involved in traffic management do actually use un marked cars that (CANNOT TRANSFORM THEMSELVES) for this purpose. As we had earlier in our trip seen what was to all intents a unmarkered police car on the main route from Jerez back to Marbella and the police driver had decided to stop a motorist some distance in front of us, and his car suddenly transformed itself it had lights flashing from behind the grill the side lights flashed alternatly together with the headlights and the whole back window lit up with a red sign telling you to stop so you really couldn't mistake it was official and when he got out he was dressed in a green uniform and hwe had put his hat on with the gun at his side ?? while i was glad it was not me he was stopping i wouldn't have had any doults in that case??

I suppose we have some sketchy informantion that we could report but where do you report it too ??

It does seem that these robbers pick out motorhomes in northern Spain/ southern France. I read a thread recently on another forum, where a couple I think , heading home, stopped at Carrefours at Orange, off the motorway and went in to do some shopping, came out and the motorhome was gone, with everthing in it, including 2 DOGS ! Have not recovered anything ! :'( :'( Never leave your van unattended if at all possible. This is not like the myth of gas attacks, this type of thing is happening. chas

Brian

I think you should report the incident to the Foreign Office, the British Embassy in Madrid, possibly also to the Consulate in Barcelona, and to the Spanish Embassy, and also maybe to the Spanish Tourist Office, in London.  I think all these have e-mail contact addresses.  Be prepared to send reminders if they don't respond, and also be prepared to see whether the media would be interested in your story if you don't get a response within a reasonable time.  Publicity may shame the Spanish into action.  The Spanish authorities aren't that well renowned for taking responsibility for these kinds of incidents!  The Spanish public, in general, have been trained by their history to look the other way, so you won't get much active assistance from that quarter, either!

What I think is required has less to do with post hoc investigation of your particular incident, but a lot to do with useful guidance on how to behave under similar circumstences in future.

For instance, how is one expected to distinguish between genuine, and bogus, police?  If one suspects the "police" are bogus, what should one do?  I have read one report of the bogus police being uniformed, so a uniform, or its absence, doesn't prove whether, or not, they are the genuine article.

The best approach would be to describe your experience and what you did, and to ask for their guidance on what to do if confronted with a similar experience in future, and how to tell if the "police" are, in fact, genuine.  Possibly stressing that the British police don't generally carry guns, and the Spanish police do, and you have no desire to risk getting shot for accidentally disobeying a genuine policeman!

Reading this post makes me glad I use the forums to be pre-warned of scams and thefts. Just read on MHfacts that some poor guy had his van stolen when in a supermarket near Orange. His two dogs were inside!

I honestly feel reluctant to go to Spain and anywhere near Lyon area.

I have heard so many of these reports especially talking to a couple we met 2 years ago who had their van broke into when they were in a French supermarket and our own friends who were broken into when they were in a supermarket car park outside Decathlon near Santander last year. Luckily his alarm frightened them off but damage was still done.

We have not been broken into but my husband needed "a call of nature" at a supermarket in France and went behind some bushes. He returned to say there were a couple of handbags and purses thrown in the bushes.

Maybe we should go into supermarkets separately from now on?

When do we know when a policeman is a policeman or a thief? They seem quite determined to make you stop.

I ALWAYS PREPARE FOR THE WORST BUT EXPECT THE BEST. i KNOW THIS TYPE OF THING GOES ON BUT AS LONG AS WE ALL KEEP EACH OTHER INFORMED THEN WE WILL BE MORE PREPARED. (sorry shouting)

This was a very frightening experience and unfortunately there are determined thieves around.

Not a nice story but thank you for informing us all and I hope this incident has not put you off too much.

Chris

Yes Spain can be a funny place. A few years back I was stopped by the police in the Pyrenees. There were two police cars and 7 policemen and a dog. Although reluctant to get out of the van a gun pointed in your face is quite a good motivator. My partner and I were held at gunpoint with our hands outstretched on the side of the van. None of the police could speak any english and our spanish was severely limited. There were constant frantic calls backwards and forwards on the radio. Our van was searched and keys, passports etc taken. After about 30 minutes (but it seemed a lot longer!) I was handed the police radio and someone on the other end said 'sorry wrong van' at which point we were given our possessions back. There was lots of activity of shouting and guns being taken from holsters and I was handed the radio again and the voice said 'please go quick the right van is coming'. We didn't wait around to see what happened next!

Jaz

I appreciate that these are isolated and relatively rare incidents but you're all doing an excellent job of convincing me to stick to UK touring! Having been introduced to the business end of a 9mm pistol by a French Gendarme in '85 I'm so glad that the majority of our police don't carry guns.

D.

Bogus Police operate everywhere and do prey on tourists.

Using http://babelfish.altavista.com/ I have translated the following, printed it off in the language of the countries we are travelling through and laminated it onto sheets of A4:

PLEASE OVERTAKE.

I WILL FOLLOW YOU TO THE NEAREST POLICE STATION.

I HAVE PHONED THE POLICE WITH YOUR REGISTRATION NUMBER.

We had a bit of bother in France last year with two "Policemen" in an unmarked car. They came along side, showed an Identity Card in a wallet and gestured us to pull over. We put the sheet up to the side window which the co-driver read, smiled (the cheeky sod !) overtook us and moved on at speed.

We reported it to the Gendarmerie/Police in the next town who said that it does happen and people who do pull over are either robbed or handed false fines.

Go safe on those streets.

Pat

What I want to know is whether Brian has filed all those incident reports?  Someone needs a good poke with a sharp stick, and there's not the remotest chance of that happening if the incident is not reported.  Even if it is reported, nothing may change; but if it isn't, nothing can change!

Hi,

We are in the process and we have asked a friend to try and identify excalty where it happened, I will keep you informed of the replies

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-04 6:35 PM

What I want to know is whether Brian has filed all those incident reports?  Someone needs a good poke with a sharp stick, and there's not the remotest chance of that happening if the incident is not reported.  Even if it is reported, nothing may change; but if it isn't, nothing can change!

patr - 2007-06-04 3:19 PM

Bogus Police operate everywhere and do prey on tourists.

Using http://babelfish.altavista.com/ I have translated the following, printed it off in the language of the countries we are travelling through and laminated it onto sheets of A4:

PLEASE OVERTAKE.

We had a bit of bother in France last year with two "Policemen" in an unmarked car. They came along side, showed an Identity Card in a wallet and gestured us to pull over. We put the sheet up to the side window which the co-driver read, smiled (the cheeky sod !) overtook us and moved on at speed.

We reported it to the Gendarmerie/Police in the next town who said that it does happen and people who do pull over are either robbed or handed false fines.

Go safe on those streets.

Pat

Welcome to the forum "patr," and thanks for an excellent idea. I think I'll get one made up myself.

Some security firms in this country have a sticker in the side windows of their vans which says something like: "I am under instructions not to open my vehicle, but will proceed to the nearest police station." Same idea - if it works for them, why not for us?

Tony

patr - 2007-06-04 4:19 PM

PLEASE OVERTAKE.

Good idea.

However, Babelfish and other translators are not very accurate.

In Spanish it would tranlate as:-

SOBREPASA

LE SEGUIRÉ A LA COMISERÍA MAS CERCANO

YA HE LLAMADO LA POLICÍA Y LES HE DICHO SU MATRICULA

Perhaps other linguists could do the same for French, German etc.

The signs are indeed a grand idea and I too will be making some. I echo the call for linguists to accurately translate the sentiment into other languages. The translation websites are pretty good, but rely upon the standard use of the host language; including the use of accurate spelling and grammar. This is, quite often, why they produce erroneous results.

I have found a simple trick with languages I don't understand for BABELFISH. A common problem is that we ask it to translate colloquial English and it does then get stuck. So:

1. Translate into target language.

2. Cut and paste result so you can translate it back into English

3. Cut and paster English version, simplify it, and translate into target language.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get back the same English you put in.

It's not a perfect guarantee, but it seems to work well with languages I do understand.

Mel E

====

HOWEVER, having tried Babelfish with Derek's Spanish instruction, it gave me the following English:

IT EXCEEDS I WILL FOLLOW To HIM The COMISERÍA NEAR MAS I HAVE ALREADY CALLED The POLICE And I HAVE SAID HIS To THEM REGISTERS

So much for Babelfish!!!!

Mel E

====

Crikey!

Its no wonder they laughed before driving off! Though the French one is pretty good.

We have not yet visited Spain so I will redo the Spanish sheet as I do not wish to be arrested for murdering that beautiful language!

Its a good point though and worth getting someone to translate properly.

Regards

Pat

Dave Newell - 2007-06-04 1:10 PM

I appreciate that these are isolated and relatively rare incidents but you're all doing an excellent job of convincing me to stick to UK touring! Having been introduced to the business end of a 9mm pistol by a French Gendarme in '85 I'm so glad that the majority of our police don't carry guns.

D.

I'm intrigued Dave ... why did they point a gun at you? 8-)

Archived