ISP - Tiscali Problems

Don Madge

I've been having problems with mail not arriving at its destination since Thursday, I checked the Tiscali service status and it claimed no problems 8-)

I contacted Tiscali and received the following reply.

"Dear Customer Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Subject

Mail not arriving

Discussion Thread

Response (Sumit Pal) 27/05/2007 06.41 AM

Dear Mr. Madge ,

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Customer Support.

I understand from your email that mails send is not receiving to the recipients.

We are aware of a problem affecting users sending email to certain recipients and we are working closely with engineers from our suppliers to resolve the problem as soon as possible.

However, due to the nature of the problem, we do not expect it to be fully resolved for another few days.

We apologise for any inconvenience and disruption caused to your email service.

Regards,

Tiscali Customer Support.

Tiscali UK Limited

Registered in England and Wales No. 3408171

Registered Address: 20 Broadwick Street, London W1F 8HT"

If I had not been a member of a Yahoo mailing List (down Clive) The Motorhome List I would not have found out about the problem.

So if anybody was expecting an e mail from me I have not ignored you, it's the system. I've sent about a dozen mails and I know that half of them have not arrived, I'm unable to check the rest.

Don

Wondered why mail inbox is so quiet in past coupole of days. Usually get 30/40 daily, from all over the world. Only ones today are 3 scammers.

Also found a regular mailer reply does not work from Tiscali. Correspondent sent reply 3 times, info suggest their box is full. Unlikely.

Wingpete - 2007-05-27 4:53 PM

Wondered why mail inbox is so quiet in past coupole of days. Usually get 30/40 daily, from all over the world. Only ones today are 3 scammers.

Also found a regular mailer reply does not work from Tiscali. Correspondent sent reply 3 times, info suggest their box is full. Unlikely.

Pete,

Mail is coming in OK only out going mail is effected.

Don

colin - 2007-05-27 8:26 PM

Just sent you a tiscali adressed email via outlook express to see if mine works, have you tried using outlook express instead going throu tiscali's mail system

Colin,

No mail has arrived.

I've been using my G mail account which I don't particularly like or get on with.

The Tiscali service status site claim the problem has been fixed, mine is still not working.

Don

Hi, Don

Are you going to the gmail web site to send and receive your emails or are you using the pop3/smtp account through outlook express or something similar. As if you are going direct to the gmail web site it may have nothing to do with Tiscali at all and it could be a google/gmail problem

Brian

Don Madge - 2007-05-27 9:06 PM

Just sent you a tiscali adressed email via outlook express to see if mine works, have you tried using outlook express instead going throu tiscali's mail system

Colin,

No mail has arrived.

I've been using my G mail account which I don't particularly like or get on with.

The Tiscali service status site claim the problem has been fixed, mine is still not working.

Don

enodreven - 2007-05-27 9:30 PM

Hi, Don

Are you going to the gmail web site to send and receive your emails or are you using the pop3/smtp account through outlook express or something similar. As if you are going direct to the gmail web site it may have nothing to do with Tiscali at all and it could be a google/gmail problem

Brian

Don Madge - 2007-05-27 9:06 PM

Colin,

No mail has arrived.

Don

Brian,

I have not got a clue to what you are talking about. I don't understand the terminology :-D

All I know is I can't send mail via Tiscali but my G mail account is working OK.

I shall just have to wait until tiscali get it sorted.

Thanks anyway.

Don

Again, access to Tiscali prolematical. Yesterday, unable to connect until fiddled with the transformer to Wireless router.

Then all was well for rest of day. This morning, exactly the same situation. Even tried another transformer, but still unable to connect to tiscali until I left the PC idle for an hours and a bit. Now everything back to "normal". However, not a single email this morning.

Wingpete - 2007-05-28 9:41 AM

Again, access to Tiscali prolematical. Yesterday, unable to connect until fiddled with the transformer to Wireless router.

Then all was well for rest of day. This morning, exactly the same situation. Even tried another transformer, but still unable to connect to tiscali until I left the PC idle for an hours and a bit. Now everything back to "normal". However, not a single email this morning.

Pete,

I'm connected OK but still the problem of not being able to send mail. Mail arriving OK though.

Don

davoscar - 2007-05-28 4:57 PM HiMine seems Ok! Just sent myself an email from a web-based provider (fastmail.fm) and it arrived within a few mins - less than two actually!  So maybe its fixed   David

David,It's still down, I sent myself a message by G mail and it arrived OK. I've mailed tiscali again for help.I'm lucky I can use G mail if it's urgent.Don

Yeah it is a problem; although I got my emails (sent to me by myself from a web-based service) the reverse did not happen when I replied to them! Will also have a go at Tiscali but surely they will be treating the matter with some urgency!  Thanks for the alert David

davoscar - 2007-05-29 4:47 PM

Yeah it is a problem; although I got my emails (sent to me by myself from a web-based service) the reverse did not happen when I replied to them! Will also have a go at Tiscali but surely they will be treating the matter with some urgency!  Thanks for the alert David

This is the latest from Tiscali.16:18:11Tue May 29 2007 Service Status Announcement:Problems with outbound emailWe are currently experiencing issues with outbound emails on our mail servers. This is not affecting all delivery addresses, some mail will continue to be delivered as normal, but some mail is being blocked by the receiving email servers.Spam is a major issue for all ISPs and periodically all ISPs will be targeted by spammers. We unfortunately have currently fallen foul to such an attack and have been targeted by spammers using our service to send out spam, this in turn has meant other ISPs have taken measures to block mail being sent by Tiscali.Our engineers are taking urgent action to block the spammers abusing our email service, this will progressively take effect over the next few days. We will post daily updates on the Service Status page and also within Forums until normal service is resumed.In you are experiencing this problem and are not sure if your important mail is being received, we suggest that you temporarily use an alternative free email service.We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

It appears I have same problem, good job you pointed it out Don, now switched over to my 'back up' O2 email for urgent messages, couple of important emails gone astray so when its sorted will have to resend

Evening all Tiscali users

Follow the attached link - information on the e mail problems that Tiscali are having.

Thought it would be of interest to you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6704003.stm

It looks like we could be in for a long wait, I'm off to Stratford tomorrow hopefully it will be back to normal when I get back on Monday.

Don

Tiscali p[roblems reported in the Telegraph today. Tiscali are advising users to use an alternative free service!!!!

They talk as if this was new, BUT IT ISN'T.

I had the same problem not receiving emails forwarded to my Tiscali address some 2 months ago and thought all was now solved. And frankly, Tiscali's Technical Support service is completely useless - an 087 number which rapidly racks up high charges just so you can talk to someone in India who promises to get back to you but never seems to do so.

Does anyone know of a decent Broadband serice that really works and has really good customer service when things go wrong?

Sorry - I know this isn't about motorhomes, but we travellers rely on email to stay in touch.

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-05-31 3:31 PM Tiscali p[roblems reported in the Telegraph today. Tiscali are advising users to use an alternative free service!!!! They talk as if this was new, BUT IT ISN'T. I had the same problem not receiving emails forwarded to my Tiscali address some 2 months ago and thought all was now solved. And frankly, Tiscali's Technical Support service is completely useless - an 087 number which rapidly racks up high charges just so you can talk to someone in India who promises to get back to you but never seems to do so. Does anyone know of a decent Broadband serice that really works and has really good customer service when things go wrong? Sorry - I know this isn't about motorhomes, but we travellers rely on email to stay in touch. Mel E ====

Hi Mel,

We live at the maximum allowable distance from the BT Exchange and initially struggled with a number of broadband suppliers -

AOL, hopeless, (wants to take over your PC).

Freeserve or Wanadoo or whatever they call it this week, again hopeless customer support.

BT, very poor initially but reading various reports, they seem to have inproved.

For the past couple of years we've used Supanet with very few problems and the costs are competitive -

http://www.supanet.com/broadband/newtobroadband/

Before you get too excited about Supanet -

Last year their main e-mail servers went toes-up, swiftly followed by their backup servers.

Took several days to get mail sorted.

It's a good idea to have alternative e-mail accounts and no one ISP stands out although an awful lot should be avoided like the plague.

;-)

Interesting that Tiscali say 'some' other ISP's blocking emails, they are blocking their own email, i.e. I can't get tiscali emails to go to Don and GF cannot get emails from her acount into mine, seems like some bull being talked.

I've used a service called fastmail.fm and found them to be a good back up.  You can use it free or if you want serious useage even the top-quality service is only about 40 US dollars a year.  The most infuriating thing about Tiscali is that they didn't tell us - many of us myslef included rely on Email for business purposes as well as recreation and customers , rightly so get a bit irate when you don't reply (especially as you think you have!) Lets hope it gets sorted     David

Archived