REPLACEMENT VEHICLE BATTERIES

The Baron

I have had starting problems this year with my 2004 Autocruise Vista (Peugeot Boxer 2.2 HDi base). Fortunately, I have been able to start after putting it on charge for 1/2 hour via the on-board system. But I have been investigating replacing the battery and this is where the fun starts! The standard Boxer battery is an 88 aH, but the motorhome chassis are fitted with a 100 aH version (I am told by my local caravan workshop that is because of the split-charging relay). This is true for my 'van and a friend's Autosleeper Nuevo, so I assume it's general. If you go to a Peugeot dealer or someone like KwikFit they say they can't help as they only list the smaller battery. I have spoken to Autocruise (who referred me to Peugeot) and to Peugeot (who referred me to a dealer), so no help there, then. I am now awaiting a response to an e-mail enquiry to Peugeot. Has anyone out there got any wisdom or experience of replacement batteries?

Colin

You really shouldn't need to replace a modern battery at three years old.  What convinces you the battery is defective?  If you are just finding it goes flat with time, unless you have your van on hook-up, this is normal, due to the continual load of various on-board installations.  Radio, bits of engine management system, possibly an alarm etc etc.  Much more than three weeks, and most van starter batteries need re-charging.  If this is all that is happening, replacing the battery won't fix the problem.  If the battery has already been damaged by repeated flattening in the above way you will need a replacement, but unless you fix the basic problem, you'll just start off down the same road again.

If you can connect the van to mains, provided - as seems the case - your on board charger caters for the starter battery as well as the habitation battery, this should eliminate the problem.  Just leave it connected full time and switch the charger on for a few days every fortnight or so.  If you don't have easy access to mains, it seems you'll need either to install, or have installed, isolators to cut supply to the main sources of current drain, or pull the relevant fuses, or consider installing a solar panel capable of keeping both batteries topped up.

Hi Baron,

The Varta battery listing for a 100amp battery suitable for the Boxer dimensions as follows L 353 xW 175 x H190 mm and is

Varta Part Number 600-031-080 and is

UK Ref 019 listed under

Varta Commercial at a cost of £108.66p.

Using this information you should be able to source one from other manufacturers at, perhaps, a more competative price.

Bas

Brian

Thanks for this. I can (and will) connect to the mains and top up every now and then. The battery works fine on a trip (eg over 10 or 11 days recently) so I'll probably see how things go. I fully understand your point about a new battery going the same way. I was just intrigued/frustrated about getting the info about the right battery!

Thanks again.

Archived