LD Lines

Knaus

Hello

Has anyone used the LD Lines Ferry recently? Just had an e mail from them to say they will now arrive in Le Havre at 8.00 am and not 7.30am. Just wonder what the traffic is like to get out of Le Havre to the Pont du Normandie at that time of the morning.

I'd think you'll be going against the flow at that time, so probably not too bad.  Somewhere on the way out of the port area, there are/were some tricky height restrictions on a bit of urban dual carriageway. 

They may have disappeared since last time I was there, but they affect the "overtaking" (left hand) lane only of the road, which runs straight through very low underpasses at crossroads roundabouts, whereas the right hand lane goes round the roundabouts.  Hope this makes sense!

Needless to say the left hand lane is faster moving, so tempting, but you won't get a motorhome through the underpasses with its roof on!  Oh, and you'll be just a bit unpopular if you try reversing back up the left hand lane to preserve your roof!  There are/were plenty of advance warnings, but it can be a little difficult to get back into the more crowded right hand lane once you discover your error.

Pat:

I don't think traffic conditions in Le Havre will be significantly worse at 0800 and, as Brian suggests, the flow will be mainly incoming. In reality, the city is not huge and the tricky stuff driving-wise is north of the road going east from the ferry port. I think we covered the underpasses adequately in our previous PM discussion.

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-30 12:02 PM

Somewhere on the way out of the port area, there are/were some tricky height restrictions on a bit of urban dual carriageway. 

Hi Brian, on my first trip to france many years ago, i tried to go through those underpasses, with my talbot harmony, after the boat fendofs bounced across my roof i got the hint, luckily halfway down the ramp, there is a escape lane. 8-) 8-) 8-)

pete

Le Havre has no real traffic problems at anytime!

But just a word of warning be careful if you fill up at the Shell garage on the way out, make sure someone stays with the van, as there are lots of immigrants who live in the tenements opposite and we have caught them trying to get in the opposite side of our trucks as you fill up!

Regards Pat

Archived