Flat Van Battery

trev

Went to use van today (1993 Ducato Avalon) first time for a week, and it wouldn't start. I checked the level on the battery and it was at 11.2V, I was a bit surprised that it was this low as it was OK last week, after investigation found that it was at exactly the same level as the leisure battery (which I knew was bad and am going to replace soon). I then did a continuity check between the batteries and found that they appear to be in parallel with each other. If this is right then the bad leisure battery would I assume pull down the starter battery. I have had a quick check of the wiring etc and all seems as it should be with both leading back to the Zig Unit, I have the starter battery on charge tonight and I'm sure it will start Ok tomorrow. Am I making a mistake by leaving the bad leisure battery in situ, or could there be a problem with the Zig unit, or am I just over-complicating things. Sorry :$

I would first find out how old the starter battery is and do you leave an alarm on while park up? I normaly expect a quality starter battery to last about 4-5 years if maintained correctly. Check out the output from the alternator on fast tick over, should be 13-14 volts. chas

I believe the zig unit may have a switch for letting you charge the Van battery from mains hook up, If so checkit is off. A real possibility is the split relay contacts are 'welded' together or some other fault with Relay.

try locating it and removing and see of shot between teh two 12 volts clears.

Until you find the fault do not leave the bad leisure battery connected as it will just pull down the starter battery again.

Hope this helps.

Jon

However, if the two batteries are interconnected, and have both lost power to that extent over a week, I think you should try to find out where the consumption is arising.  Do you turn off the radio at the set before turning off the ignition?  I understand some radios have a "standby" mode with quite high consumption if they are simply "killed" via the ignition switch.  Unless you trace and deal with any abnormal consumption, therefore, you do risk replacing the batteries and finding you still have the same problem!

As things stand, if you separate the two batteries (and they should not be interconnected as you describe - I agree, check the charging relay first), the starter battery will go "flat" over three days or so, which is totally silly! 

Given a good battery, and just the normal van manufacturer's installed equipment of radio and engine electronics, the battery should still be capable of starting the van after three weeks or so, not fail after three days.  If the consumption seems normal (but remember it is 24/7 consumption) then either or both batteries are definately on their last legs.

Hi Brian, I think he said he knows his habitation battery is duff, so it is most likely the cause. It could well be if it has been drawing a high charge current as well because of say a shorted cell then the charge relay was overloaded causing it to fail.

On a similar vein but on another tone, I read a lot about people wondering why their batteries have failed when they leave on hook up most of the time at home. Do remember, leaving on hookup all the time will not necessarily overcharge your battery as such, but will cause gassing and water to be consumed. The suggestion just to charge for a few hours a week or when needed is a good one. It does not have to be 100% fully charged to stop deteroration. 12.7 volts is good state of charge (75%), 12.4 (12.2 for a leisure battery designed for deep discharging) and above will prevent sulphation and deteriotation . below 12 volts and your battery is deteriorating quickly as the suphated lead will crystalise(sulphation).

When I am on hookup at a campsite, I disconnect the liesure battery after it is charged, and use the charger as a 12 volt powersupply (most operate in this mode but check). Since doing that I have not had to top up the water level and still have the same apparant capacity as I did when Battery was new. I have a switch in series with the battery.

An indication of over charging is if you have dark scale built up on inside of filler plugs.

Jon.

Many thanks for the help, I think I have now sorted it. I have always been in the habit of leaving the Zig unit (CF8) switched to the touring setting thinking that there was a split charger or such like incorporated within the unit which only connected the batteries when the engine was running for charging, but it seems that the unit is not as sophisticated as I thought and the switch connects the batteries directly all the time when set to touring (thus with the duff leisure battery in situ discharging the van battery).

Van battery now charged and starts :-D ,leisure Battery removed, will replace this weekend and will get into habit of leaving switch in camping position when left on drive. Cheers!

Archived