Extended Trip Travel Insurance

doonhamer

Does anyone have any recent experience obtaining travel insurance for an extended trip to Europe. I'm planning to tour for 8/9 months from this September but I can't find any of the major insurers that will cover more that 180 days.

I have been researching this for quite a while. Try googling "round the world insurance" They were the only ones I could find that could help. The online booking stopped at age 59 so, as Chris is 60 in 10days time I quickly tried to get it sorted. Because of a pre existing medical condition we had to do it over the phone and they didn't even ask our ages. Part of the Axa group so should be ok. You can even ring them from abroad to extend the trip.

Pat

You don't say if you are travelling in a motorhome, but assuming you are, you'll need insurance for the van for the same period, and you'll also need to ensure you home and contents insurances allow for extended periods of unoccupation.  If any of the above aren't yet sorted, and you have problems, I'd suggest you speak to Comfort insurance, who advertise in MMM, because they can provide a package of insurances for van, recovery, home, contents and health, all matched to a common period of absence.

The insurances are all with Norwich Union, but the particular packages seem unique to Comfort.  Taken overall, and taking into account some of the benefits, such as inclusive Europe wide RAC recovery and repatriation of motorhomes of pretty well any size, the cost seems reasonable compared to the cost of buying equivalent cover in dribs and drabs from here and there.

Hope this helps.

Our travel insurance runs out in a few weeks time, so today I contacted Comfort Insurance as my van is insured with them. they asked if we had any pre existant medical conditions when we told them yes, they didn't want to know and suggested another company who in turn were not bothered about our pre existant conditions in the least but wanted to charge us double the premium we paid last year.

Brisey, you might want to look at Endsleigh, their comprehensive travel insurance appears to provide everything I need at a reasonable cost, about £300 for a couple under 64 with no existing medical condition for 9 months in Europe. They will quote for trips up to two years, up to age 74 and for existing medical conditions.

Bazza454 - 2007-05-31 11:08 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-05-31 10:52 PM Have you tried renewing with the firm you insured with lasy year?

Been on the whisky Brian.......

If only!  Unfortunately, the mistyping finger works on its own - without any liquid assistance!

Archived