Can you help me choose a satnav?

Hughmer

You can get modified voices for Tom Tom so that they are loud enough to hear over the engine. Someone has tweeked them so they are much louder but still retain the clarify so even though we run our Tom Tom sat nav on a PDA and only use its speakers it's certainly loud enough and with more volume to spare if we need. When my hubby can remember where he got it from I'll post a link! 8-)

Re the volume on SatNav. The Tom Tom increases in volume in accordance with your speed. The faster you go, the louder the volume. As you slow down for roundabouts for example, the volume decreases. Clever stuff.

Much interesting stuff here chaps, but at the end of the day it depends what one is looking for in a satnav system. I bought a MioTech 269 digiwalker 4 years ago with European mapping to help me on my foreign travels. (I downloaded the entire list of French aires which included GPS co-ordinates.

I use the digiwalker almost daily for work and it has never failed me (although I did require a new in-car charger which the company I bought it from (totalpda.com - check them out as they have a huge range and are very competitive) replaced it without any hassle.

Yes, it does have a female voice, but I tend to turn her off unless I'm in a really tricky area as it extends battery life. The digiwalker also does everything I want of it and the voice, when in use, can easily be heard over the rumble of my MH at motorway speeds, even with 4 youngsters strapped in behind me and the missus yelling at them from my left telling them to "shut up, no you can't can't go to the toilet while we're driving" (and all the other inane things they ask!

Anyway, I digress. Mio-tech were voted 5th best sat Nav provider in Europe last year. yes TomTom, Garmin, et al may be popular, but that doesn't mean they are the best...

Happy trails to all of you

Baz

We started with a VDO system and later went on to portable sat navs by Garmin ( Garmin are used in air craft and sea going vessels so they must be doing something right) and have just recently bought a 7200. Gasp shock horror look at the price!

Why? Well we still have our old Streetpilot111 which runs on internal batteries for if we want to go out on the motorbike but we wanted something that will do the lot (including boil a kettle). This model has a decent memory built in which will hold not only custom points of interest but also MP3 files so it plays music as well (it mutes the music when it wants to talk to you) it has a Secure digital card reader so you can have even more music and custom POIs or Audio books. Other features include A/V in so you can connect a rear view camera or freeview / satelite box and use it as a t.v. (it has a 7" screen so maps and t.v. viewing are clearly viewed). It also has an audio out so it can be fed through the radio (either , as we do it, via a direct input to the radio or via an FM transmitter ((about £10 from Halfords)). It even reads out the street / road names with a very high degree of accuracy.

We also bought the optional traffic warning gizmo which receives traffic congestion warnings and allows you to re route (this is a free service for the life of the unit).

We have now been using it for a couple of weeks and have not been disappointed despite the price - Gulp!).

Hi,Hughmer,

Can't recommend a specific sat nav (mines Navman) but a couple of points from experience.

Get the biggest screen you can, I find it difficult to see mine.

Get the loudest you can. I can't hear mine above road and engine noise.

Take its instructions literally. It counts cart tracks, gate ways etc as roads. The number of times its said "at the round about take the second exit" when I can only see one road....Its seen a cart track!

Try to listen to the range of instructions before buying. The nav man likes to say "keep left" when it means turn left.

Good luck. 8-)

Hi

We bought a Tom Tom Europe the day before setting out to purchase a motorhome from Germany with an view to importing into UK. Cannot recommend it highly enough, easy to use, excellent clear instructions and we sucessfully navigated around Germany, France and back to the UK with no problems.

Liz

Archived