AireCamping-CAR-PARK (A business and an App)

HymerVan

Its quite a while (2019) since I have travelled in France and it looks as though the Landscape for Aires has changed a lot. It looks as though a lot of Aires are operated by this business. I think you can/must ? book in advance and buy a Pass Card (Pass E'Tapes) to get into the Aires. There are advantages (at a cost) if you buy a privilege pack. I have downloaded the App. Has anyone any experience of how this  all works in practice, how easy booking is with or without the Privilege card etc. 

I think you can/must preload the Pass Card with cash but I am not sure if this cash is to use on aire facilities e.g.water or if it is used for the actual site booking. perhaps the booking is paid with a credit card?

I have held a card for many years and used their Aires a couple of times each year. I don’t book ahead nor pay for a privilege pack. One of the useful features of the app is that it tells you in real time how many free spaces are left on any given Aire. Using this information you can decide wether to head towards one or not given the time of day. The only one that seemed to be consistently full last year was the one at Vannes (Le Conleau). Usually there are other Aires within a reasonable distance, so no big deal. Of course you have no clue as to how busy they might be.

i keep my card (pass  etape) virtually empty. You can access the site and the services with no issues, you simply need to top up your card to ensure you have enough to pay the due amount when exiting.

i note that I have a credit balance of €0.70 currently on my card. Any balance you might have has no expiry date, so not a major issue to be in credit.

aire Park reservations are the other organisation who seem to be expanding at a fast rate, but you pay on entry and they don’t have an app although they claim you can prebook. Their website is not as slick as camping car park by a long stretch.

Davy

We first got our Pass/Card in 2016 having pulled up at an aire near Gap to be confronted by the now-familiar green barrier and machine. After a short struggle we were in, a feat many later arrivals failed to replicate, often throwing up their arms in frustration and driving off. But nowadays of course everyone is very comfortable with the system and many, if not most, carry the card.

As TeamRienza we've never booked, just turn up and open the entry barrier with zero credit on account and then use the app to load enough credit to exit, paying by credit card. Have never used cash.

We're fans and seem to use them more and more.

One thing to add is that their phone lines seem helpful and speak good English.  On one aire there was a problem with the payment machine so we couldn’t top up to exit - rang them & they topped up the PassEtapes on the phone.

As well as Camping Car Park aires, they are taking over a fair number of municipal campsites and running them as Campings de Mon Village.  These operate as campsites in high season (open to tents and caravans, toilet blocks open) and run as Aires the rest of the year.

Personally I’d not bother paying for the Pack Privileges unless I was going to a very touristy area in high season.

The downside of Privilege and pre booking is your day is fixed from 12pm-12pm, whereas when you just turn up your 24 hours starts from arrival.

We arrived at Saint-Palais-sur-Mare last year at 11am after pre-booking as it was full every night.  Phoned them to clarify early entry, and were told if we had gone straight in, we'd have been charged an extra day for one hour.

A small caveat...

As touched on above, there is merit in maintaining a zero (or minimal) credit on your CCP account. One reason for this is that - if the account is well in credit and you decide that you'll never use the CCP network again - obtaining a refund from CCP will not be straightforward. 

XII. TERMINATION – EFFECTS

1. BY THE CARD HOLDER

The card holder will inform the issuing company of their wish to terminate the present account either at a CAMPING-CAR PARK stopover area point of sale, or by recorded post with a letter addressed to the issuing company. The termination will take effect upon return of the PASS'ETAPES card and after payment of all outstanding amounts due.
Account termination cannot be taken into account without the return of the PASS’ETAPES card. A termination fee of 12 euros inc. VAT will be invoiced for each terminated account.

It will be noticed that, although "payment of all outstanding amounts due" is mentioned, refunding monies to the account holder is not.

That’s about 3 nights worth. I seem to recall that you have no plans to buy another van?

perhaps someone might offer to buy it from you as I cannot recall any personal information being revealed when it is in use, therefore your personal details remain secure.

I am due in France around the end of May into June. If you do not manage to resolve it perhaps I might be able to help.

Davy

Although at one time (Fontaine de Vaucluse 2014) it was not necessary to be a member, I agree with what others have expressed.

Sometimes I used the Campingcarpark areas, card subscribed in 2018.

I have never reserved, at most I check the number of free places in the one where I would like to stay.

I never put money into the account, from time to time I use the exact amount needed.

Typically these are good areas, for those who have little data or cannot use European roaming, the fact that there is Wifi is appreciated.

But I got the impression that the quality is going down. In the last two used (Apt and Mèze) the EHU was out of service.

n the last one (December 2022) the payment system didn't work either, luckily the bar was open and we stayed for free.

I like the Camping-Car Parks, and have used a few, both in the motorhome and a tent.

The sites designated "Camping de mon Village" are generally ex municipal campsites so in the high season would have showers/toilets available, I stayed in one that even had a cafe/snack bar.

All good value and very convienient.  

I've used them various times in the past (and been very happy) but last year faced with a short-notice, high-season, popular-area break I added the Privilege pre-booking option. Couldn't have done without it and the on-line availability service. Arrived at a couple of pre-booked Aires to find some very frustrated vans looking at my apparently empty pitch and unable to get in!

We used 2 of these Camping Car stops on the way to Spain recently. I had the app but not bought the card, on arrival at the site my wife joined and paid for the one night stay, a membership card was dispensed with unique member number on it, which then was flashed at the entry terminal and the barrier opened. 

We came across Pass E'Tapes aires just recently, no issue getting the card as the machine at the barrier issued it. You can load it at your convienience from your van so easy peasy. One really good point to make is that there was free wifi as part of the fee which for me is extremely useful. We used two of their aires and both had this facility, Oh and when entering and leaving you just wave your card at a reader so no entering numbers. One thing we didnt find out was that you get 24 hours but not sure you can leave and come back in that time without paying again, thats something for me to find out.

Archived