Oyster Vision

michele

The problem with Oyster and a few other sat receivers at present has been caused by the launch of BADR4. This is a Satellite which is part of the Arabsat group at 26 degrees (Astra is at 28deg). Bahrain TV is being broadcast from that sat on a similar frequency to Sky News and therefore it is spotted by the Oyster software which thinks that it has found Astra. If you havent had the software upgrade it is quite easy to get back on to Astra as follows:

1) Get the Oyster to search for Astra2.

2) When it says Astra 2 found go into the menu and select manual search then OK.

3) Press down arrow (very briefly) twice. Then right arrow (very briefly ) twice.

This brings the elevation down 2 degrees and east 2 deg - the difference between Astra 2 and Arab sat.

However if you have a free to air sat box (not sky) you might like to stay on Arab sat as there are some good progs in English. The channels to get are MBC2, MBC4 and MBC Action plus Bahrain 55 and Bahrain Sport also Dubai tv. These broadcast films and action progs in english with arabic sub titles and later this year I understand that Bahrain will be broadcasting a premiership footie match on saturdays - and it's all free!

You can get these channels with a sky box as long as you know your PIN for your card.

With an 85cm Oyster you can get the Bahrain stations in the much of the UK but will lose the MBC stations in northern France.

Visit www.lyngsat.com for the frequency info remember to note the V/H setting and the FEC and SID settings too.

As for the problem with only getting some of the channels - you should not have to clean the LNB (unless you have been watching mucky movies) but you may need to tweek it! As you travel south and west of the greenwich meridian you may need to alter the "skew". For most of the UK the cable outlet on the LNB should be almost perpendicular but by the time you get to, say, Portugal it should be in the 7 o'clock position when looking at it from the front.

Far too many names to say thankyou to so thankyou all.

MelB well noticed maybe gremlins it has three titles now..

Mel E I will try the link . And all you others thanks because now it makes sense yes we were blaming our equiptment this happened last time as well.

Cheers for all the help guys ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just phoned Oyster Vision Trans Leisure and for those of you that don't know you can stay there over night. We are going to drive to Newark on Sat the 7th.

We will be having a patch done BUt this cost's £45 never mind needs must .

just to let you know if anyone else is having the same problem you can book in overnight ..

michele - 2007-06-25 4:57 PM

I have just phoned Oyster Vision Trans Leisure and for those of you that don't know you can stay there over night. We are going to drive to Newark on Sat the 7th.

We will be having a patch done BUt this cost's £45 never mind needs must .

just to let you know if anyone else is having the same problem you can book in overnight ..

A trip to Newark from Essex and £45 seems a bit OTT for a software upgrade!!

I've had a look on Tan Haaft website http://www.ten-haaft.de/e/downloads.html and they have instructions on DIY upgrading.

They direct you to their 'forum' for the software and it says:-

A suitable download area is at the moment in originate, we still ask for patience a little. Naturally you can turn with technical questions or the requirement of transmitter lists-updates any time under Service@ten-Haaft.de to our customer service. (rough translation).

Derek,

Thankyou as soon as hubby is awake I will show him what you have put .

He is the guru as far a s tecno in this house !

I have not a clue what it all means but it is abit off putting not only do we have to go all the way to newark but £45 as you say and probably a night up there I can think of far better things to be doing with the kids. ;-)

Hi ,

Is the serial interface on the Oyster Control Box or on the Pace Decoder Box... there doesn't appear to be one on the Oyster Control Box..

Help anyone please would save us a trip to Newark has anyone done what Derek has given me the link for...

michele - 2007-06-25 7:54 PM

Hi ,

Is the serial interface on the Oyster Control Box or on the Pace Decoder Box... there doesn't appear to be one on the Oyster Control Box..

Help anyone please would save us a trip to Newark has anyone done what Derek has given me the link for...

I would think it would have to be the Oyster Control box.

You might find something on MHF. If, like me you're not a subsciber, you can do a 'back door' search on Google like this:-

Type in your keywords e.g Oyster software, followed by site:www.motorhomefacts.com

Hi Michele

I have sent you a pm with the dets of where to find the serial socket on the main models of the Oyster.

Our last 'van had the old version of the box and only had problems finding Astra 2 in southern regions - We didn't mind as it was getting Arabsat and we prefered watching that. - When we actually wanted Astra all we had to do was go into "Manual Search" then press down arrow briefly twice and right arrow briefly twice and it was back on Astra. n.b. check that the dish is actually moving south when pressing right arrow (they seem to be back to front!)

Ok guy's ,

We seem to have no serial interface on the sides or the bottom of the Oyster Control Box.

There is also no second or breakout box ? This is a one box unit with a piccy of Europe on it .. Anyother idea's ?...

Appreciated .

Hi Michele

Take a look at www.motorhometoday.co.uk under general topic where there is asimilar thread running. It would appear that the new owners of Oyster are not keeping the web site up to date and you have to have the download from an authorised dealer anyway! - just another way of getting more money!!! >:-(

However as I said before if the Oyster is getting Astra 2 you should not need an update. If the problem is that you are not getting all the channels you think you should be getting once Astra has been found then the problem lies with the sky box. If the sky box has missed a software update it can cause this kind of problem and you will need to do a forced update to the software from a fixed dish in the UK if possible.

To do a forced update 1) remove the card 2)turn the power off at the mains 3) press and hold back up on the box (not the remote) whilst restoring the power. 4) keep holding the back up button untill all the lights on the box come on and a message appears on the screen. 5) wait untill the message goes off then turn the power off again then reinsert the card and restore the power.

Gee Bernie,

thanks for that how comes you know so much ;-) Hubby said thanks as he needs to do this with our 12v pace javlin but one problem we have not got a ac adapter to work it in the house but apparently he is on his putor now looking and recons that they are around £12 .

thanks again

If you have one of them there starter battery thingies with its own built in jump leads you could run the pace off that. If not a spare leisure battery with a cig lighter socket wired to it would do the job.

Failing all that you will have to bring the 'van indoors >:-)

n.b. The only reason that I suggested you run the update from a fixed dish is that the Oyster has a habit of moving to look for the signal whilst the download is taking place and that would stop the update from loading properly.

Archived