Problem with fridge

Chaswick

Can anyone help me please?

We have an Electrolux gas/electric fridge. It is working fine on both 12v and mains, but just recently when we try to run it from gas, the igniter continues to intermittently spark even when the pilot light is lit. We know that there is sufficient gas as the gas ring works perfectly alright. Any suggestions as to what is causing this would be gratefully received.

Hi.almost sure that the burner will be in need of a good clean and the air intake will be blocked. look though the viewing hole when its lit, the flame should be nice and blue,not yellow and floppy.failing that .A blocked or disconnected flue. can cause problems. the only other thing could be a faulty ign box/cracked or damp electrode,or damaged or loose ign lead.

Or a draught causing flame lift off-try with the winter covers in place if you have them.

But remember anybody who carries out work on your gas appliances or pipework, must be CORGI reg on LPG.

Cheers

martin r c

Thanks for your replies. After trying several local motorhome dealers who couldn't book me in for several weeks, I eventually contacted Pickwick Caravans of Holt, near Trowbridge. I telephoned them mid morning today and they arranged for me to take my motorhome in at 2 p.m. After looking at the problem they reckoned it was a faulty ignitor and slid the fridge out and replaced the ignitor with a new one they had in stock. The problem was cured, and the fridge secured back in place by 2.30 p.m. I was charged for half hour of labour plus the part. I know who I will choose to service my motorhome in future!

martin r c - 2007-06-04 6:16 PM

Hi.almost sure that the burner will be in need of a good clean and the air intake will be blocked. look though the viewing hole when its lit, the flame should be nice and blue,not yellow and floppy.failing that .A blocked or disconnected flue. can cause problems. the only other thing could be a faulty ign box/cracked or damp electrode,or damaged or loose ign lead.

Or a draught causing flame lift off-try with the winter covers in place if you have them.

But remember anybody who carries out work on your gas appliances or pipework, must be CORGI reg on LPG.

Cheers

martin r c

Just a small point Martin but while it might be preferable to have CORGI registered personnel do your LPG it isn't a legal requirement on motorhomes. There is a clear exemption for "motorised caravans" from the gas installation and use regulations. The only time this exemption is not allowed is for vehicle's hired out in the course of a business, they must be dealt with by CORGI registered personnel. It is strongly advised that anybody who does carry out work on LPG has some sort of training and accreditation though.

D.

Archived