Holland - campsites and other advice

Mel B

Hi

We're off again at the end of June for 2 and a half weeks (assuming Chris's legs are healed by then!) and are thinking of going to Holland, Netherlands etc (less chance of severe sunburn!!!!! 8-) ). I know that they don't like you to wild camp and fine you if you do so am looking for advice on where to stay so that it doesn't cost us a packet in camping fees.

Also, anyone any other tips about travelling in Holland, where to go/see, what to avoid etc.

All advice gratefully received.

Mel B

Hi Mel, we live in Holland (in South Limburg, not far from Maastricht and the only hills in the Netherlands) and can vouch that the Dutch have plenty of good family orientated sites (if that's what you want - it's not really for us) but they seem to be a fair bit more expensive than similar sites in either Germany or France. Say €20 per night as opposed to €14/€16 (still cheaper than sites in the UK though, despite recent letters in the MH press) The island of Texel is pretty good, the ferry across from Den Helder is cheaper on Tue/Wed/Thur if I remember correctly. There are some nice places to visit in the North, but personally I would avoid the coast around Den Haag/Amsterdam and head inland . Although the South is hillier, you may as well do that extra few miles and go to the Belgiian Ardennes or even over into France and the Alsace. As for avoiding sunburn; it's got pretty hot here over the last few years - 30 plus in the summer, these often lead to spectacular storms in an evening. Have fun! PS Diesel is pretty good value at around €1 per litre at most places (less than 70p!)

If you are anywhere Nijmegen you should go to the Velorama, a tip top cycle museum of the best quality anywhere in the world. Its right beside the river WAAL.

To reach it (from the western side) you will pass over the river on an (Arnheim style bridge, thats like the Sydney Harbour bridge)

If you look to your right from the bridge you will see the VELORAMA easily.

As you enter the town just keep going right and right and right, you will go down a slope to a parking area (NOT FREE!)

The cycle museum is right there.

Hi

There are facilities for motorhomes in Holland very similar to the stellplatz in Germany.Two websites for information are http://www.campervriendelijk.nl/ and http://www.campercontact.nl/cc_land.php?c=nl both unfortunately in Dutch but give plenty of info on camperplaatsen. The second site even has photos. When you get to the individual site information just click on "meer info and ? reacties" and this brings up more info and photos.

Hi

There are facilities for motorhomes in Holland very similar to the stellplatz in Germany.Two websites for information are http://www.campervriendelijk.nl/ and http://www.campercontact.nl/cc_land.php?c=nl both unfortunately in Dutch but give plenty of info on camperplaatsen. The second site even has photos. When you get to the individual site information just click on "meer info and ? reacties" and this brings up more info and photos.

General information on Holland

http://www.holland.com/global/index.html

I hope this is of some help.

I will attach a POI--if I can figure out how to do it.

Have a good trip

BrianM

Benelux Camperplaatsen.ov2

Benelux Camperplaatsen.bmp

Mel,

A couple of thoughts:

1. If you do go north be sure to call in at Edam on the right day of the week to see the cheese sledging/market, then at Enkhuizen to visit the Ijsselmeer museum which has an entire reconstructed Zuider Zee village using bits of villages from before they built the barrier across and turned it from a partly salt water sea to a fresh water lake. There are two camping sites there (we've been to both) but the one near the municipal swimming pool is best.

2. Alkmaar is also well worth a visit and there's a superb camp site just to the north.

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

We toured the Benelux countries a couple of years ago - most of the time being spent in Holland. The Dutch campsites are very good but a bit on the expensive side. We use Camping Cheques and Touring Cheques very successfully. It was useful to have both types of cheque as they use some different sites and also different dates. They cost about £10.50 each and entitle you to your unit + 2 adults + electricity. Both cheque companies have websites.

Regards Cattwg.

Mel

Have a look at "Delftse Hout" campsite which is on the outskirts of the lovely town of Delft - 15 mins walk to Market Square.

We were there in May at found it very clean and with friendly staff.

Beware - it is very popular with the British.

Visit Keukenhof Gardens - they are unbelieveable

Ken

Delftse Hout also has bus stops outside to take you to town and on to the railway station - from there you can go pretty much anywhere, should check out Rotterdam [riverside especially] and Amsterdam [parking is hopeless]

have fun

B-)

ps - not particularly cheap site tho' *-)

Just returned from a long weekend cycling holiday in Holland. I was completely amazed by the sophistication of cycle lanes, cyclist dedicated traffic lights, give-way to cyclists on road systems that I found there. Get your cycle and have a great time, I did! :-D

Archived