Sat Nav - other benefits besides routing

Mel B

I know some people love 'em, other's can't see the point in 'em. We wouldn't be without ours now (Tom Tom on PDA). When we recently had a problem on holiday and I was left to drive for the first time on the 'wrong' side of the road in France, in our new motorhome for only the second time and with no navigator, it was an absolute God-send.

It kept me on the straight and narrow ... well sometimes bendy and fat roads and well ... but one side benefit which I really like is that it showed me the road ahead so that I could see by a quick glance how bad a junction/bend/etc was going to be just before I got there and also to check which turning, exit of a roundabout etc, I should take. This meant I was able to drive with confidence having a good idea of what lay ahead of me and made sure that when I did get to that point I knew where I should be going. Of course, I did have to keep my eyes on the road as normal but just a split second peek at the screen saved me making the 'hesitent' manouvres I may otherwise have made to sus-out the road layout.

In fact, even when not using it to navigate but just having it running and showing my location when I was following normal road signs, it was very useful for the 'forward warning' of the layout of the road etc.

Anyone found any other 'non-routing' benefits?

:-S

You're completely correct Mel.  It does provide a 'view' of the road ahead and shows bends and junctions hidden from actual view because they may be over a hill, around a corner, in the depths of a forest or wood or even shrouded in mist or fog.

One evening last December we had to travel on unfamiliar roads, in thick fog.  Our SatNav still showed the road layout ahead and safely guided us home.

Spent another week in France last month, around the villages and towns of Bordeaux.  Our satnav (Matilda) was barely out of the box and we estimated that, for the types of places we visit (off the main road, France Passion etc), we reclaimed half a day of holiday.  For that reason only, she has paid for herself. 

The other bonus is those occasional obscure short-cuts!  A great way to experience the real France.

Archived