An update on the 20 minute radio problem with Peugeots/Fiats

I had one of the new 2007 model Peugeot vans in today and among the jobs to be done was curing the 20 minute cutoff. For anyone not in the know the standard Fiat/Peugeot radio will only play for 20 minutes unless the ignition is on. This was fixable with a simple rewire on previous models but the new model has a computerised system called Can Bus and the radio is coupled to this which means its not fixable, well certainly not yet anyway. The only solution that I can give at the moment is to replace the radio with a conventional, none can bus, type.

So much for this van being "born to be a motorhome"

D.

On our new 'van to get round the problems with this "cant do nowt bus", we have had a cable put in from the leisure battery to behind the dash and the radio is wired to that. It also comes on to the top of the dash where ther is a set of 3 cig lighter type plugs into which we can plug the sat nav and various other bits of 12 v kit that we may want to use when the ignition is off.

As far as I'm aware the same old options are available in the menu i.e. 10 minutes, 20 minutes or 0 minutes. On the 0 minutes setting the radio will not work at all without the ignition switched on.

Bernie, that's interesting, are you using the standard fit radio? I ask because although there is an ignition switched feed (this is what used to tell the radio to switch on when the ignition was turned on) this no longer triggers the radio to the "on" state. That is now done (as far as I'm aware) through the Can Bus. Where the radio takes its power from makes no difference.

D.

The radio can be changed to be on all the time through to menu options,I changed mine as I had the radio on when I was doing some odd jobs in my new purchase the only thing I did not do was turn it off when I went in for my evening meal just locked up the van and forgot ,3 weeks later when we were going away for weekend you have guessed it we had a flat battery,managed to jump start ,but then had to go to Peugeot dealer to have the system re-programed.

Radio reset to 20 minutes switchoff,so we have bought a small transistor radio to have on in the rear area that runs on batteries .

Aldi have one for sale on Thursday £6.99.

kelly

Hi Dave

No i am using a Tevion (Aldi) radio (about £50). For us it is a better bet as it comes with a USB port and a SD card reader and also has a direct Aux input so we can plug other gear into it. It has the permanent live and Ign live wired together so is available all the time.

I realised the limitations of the can bus and decided that the best option would be to keep it out of the system all together and use the leisure battery alone to power all the extras. it has the added advantage that when we are free camping in one spot for a while we haven't flattened the vehicle battery by having the radio on or charging the laptop etc.

kelly58 - 2007-06-05 9:39 AM

The radio can be changed to be on all the time through to menu options,I changed mine as I had the radio on when I was doing some odd jobs in my new purchase the only thing I did not do was turn it off when I went in for my evening meal just locked up the van and forgot ,3 weeks later when we were going away for weekend you have guessed it we had a flat battery,managed to jump start ,but then had to go to Peugeot dealer to have the system re-programed.

Radio reset to 20 minutes switchoff,so we have bought a small transistor radio to have on in the rear area that runs on batteries .

kelly

So Kelly, what we all now want to know, is how did you change the radio to sat on all the time?  What is the option that cancels the power down, or by-passes the canbus?

Frankkia - 2007-06-05 9:44 AM

Hi Dave

No i am using a Tevion (Aldi) radio (about £50). For us it is a better bet as it comes with a USB port and a SD card reader and also has a direct Aux input so we can plug other gear into it. It has the permanent live and Ign live wired together so is available all the time.

I realised the limitations of the can bus and decided that the best option would be to keep it out of the system all together and use the leisure battery alone to power all the extras. it has the added advantage that when we are free camping in one spot for a while we haven't flattened the vehicle battery by having the radio on or charging the laptop etc.

Thanks for clarifying that Bernie, your original post suggested you had the original radio ;-) . I too have my radio wired from the leisure battery as we use it a lot when on site.

D.

kelly

That's interesting Kelly, I confess I didn't look into the menu, I'll try it on the next one I encounter.D.

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-05 11:24 AM

kelly

So Kelly, what we all now want to know, is how did you change the radio to sat on all the time? What is the option that cancels the power down, or by-passes the canbus?

...and why not just set it again after the reset rather than buying a seperate transistor radio?  Have I missed something?

Hi to alter the radio settings to stay on press menu scroll through options until IGN TIME is showing then press left/right buttons it will show 00min 20min select 00min press menu to clear radio can then be turned on/off without ignition key being inserted.

Secondly the reason I bought a small transistor radio was so as I can listen whilst I am in bed without having to go into the front of the vehicle to turn the main radio also as my wife has a hearing problen the small radio does not have to be on as loud as the vehicle radio and therefore not to become a nuisance to other people.

Archived