Freezer polarity

brayn

I have recently purchased a Dometic F400 freezer. I need to change the 12V plug but am having trouble identifying the polarity of the present set up. The plug into the back of the freezer is about 5.5cm long, 2cm deep and 1.5cm wide. It has 2 cylindrical shaped male bits that go into the socket of the freezer. Looking down on it, the right hand cylinder has a small + over an S, is this indicative of the polarity?

Any help gtatefully received.

Hi Brayn, any chance of posting a digital picture of this plug. It doesn't sound like anything I've come across before and the 12 Volt connections are usually made to terminals on the freezer control panel. The + over an "S" sounds like it might be indicating the live terminal of a mains connection, especially if the "S" is lying down.

D.

Thanks for the photo Brian, its a new one on me and I can only assume they have used this method of connection because the F400 is intended for portable use rather than as a built in unit. Do the instructions not give any clue as to which is the positive wire?

D.

Chas,

yes, you're missing the point, the point I forgot to mention!

The plug from the other end of the cable is missing, just two loose ends!

I have already tried to find the polarity by using the chassis of the freezer, but it isn't made like that, the negative is a return wire.

brayn - 2007-06-05 5:40 PM thanks Mikey, I already have the manual and, unfortunately, it is silent on polarity.

If you follow Mike's link, and enter F400 into the model designation, you'll get three possible files.  If you open the smaller PDF, (Dometic pty Ltd) in the instructions for connecting the freezer to 12V, you should find a statement to the effect that polarity is unimportant.  Just that whichever cable is designated as positive, should be fused. 

Assuming the freezer is an absorption model, this seems to make sense.  There is stated to be no thermostat on the 12V side, so it just runs continually (you are therefore advised to ensure the 12V supply is switched via the ignition), and as the 12V will only supply a heater element, I guess it doesn't much care which way the current flows!  If in further doubt, contact Dometic UK technical.

Thank you Brian. I had looked at that file and thought it was the one I had but, it differed from mine in section 9.2 (the important one)

My thanks for being pedantic enough to read the files.

Cheers,

Bryan

Glad you're sorted, I read the manual about the polarity, I should have posted it. They do pull a lot of current, it's important to ensure the wiring can take the load, the three manuals are slightly different, and suggest up to a 6mm cable.

Cheers

Mike

Archived